Swordsmanship, Magic, or Alchemy which one are you favoring this time out, and why.

+

Swordsmanship, Magic, or Alchemy which one are you favoring this time out, and why.

• Swordsmanship

Votes: 75 45.5%
  • Magic

Votes: 14 8.5%
  • Alchemy

Votes: 10 6.1%
  • Hybrid.

Votes: 66 40.0%

• Total voters
I always go the swordsman route when I start a witcher game for the first time. So I'll likely carry that tradition.

Focus on magic, with just enough swordsmanship skills to get the absolute necessities. It helps that Magic skills are usually more interesting than swordsmanship, too.

Hybrid.
Without seeing the Skill Trees it's going to be; Swordsmanship > Magic > Alchemy

Doubt i'll change my mind though

In the witcher 2 I basically put more points in everything agressive focusing a bit more on swordsmanship. Not so many points on defensive skills.

Somehow I've totally missed this thread and poll.

I selected hybrid, but swords and alchemy will be the skill trees I invest the most in. Why? Well, swordsmanship and fencing have always been an interest. Alchemy, well you know, it's cool to have a drink now and then. ;)

Honestly? I gonna pick every other plant and mushroom I see, so it would be a shame to see it go to waste. Yeah, I'm a sucker for nature as well. ^_^

Ill try to mix it up, but staying true to the idea that
signs & alchemy = support
Sword = weapon
countering > not being hit > having to migrate damage

I hope this time around the combat will feel as fluid as the said it would, then I believe the swordsmanship tree will win back a lot of fans. It's he thing about DkS and Bloodborne that makes the games so cool, the feeling of acutally having archieved something if you can gracefull kill enemies by using their holes in their toolset - and this feeling intensifies when relying on magic as support instead of using it as a main weapon.

plus it comes closest to the ""lore"" Geralt, I guess.

I'll also plan my progression out, hopefully the tooltips are in depth enough for a little bit of brainwrecking about where to spend and where not - since I started POE I cant get rid of tha way of thought xD
The exact turnaround will depend on how the combat feels, how the armours impact things etc.

Edit: f**k typing on a phone

It is going to greatly depend on game mechanics :) ... but I will initially try to go with the full Witcher experience, and balance the use of the 3.

Ill try to mix it up, but staying true to the idea that
signs & alchemy = support
Sword = weapon
Not entirely true.
The previous games' combat systems weren't fantastic by any measure, but they still allowed for some flexibility. Past a certain point in the game, signs could easily overshadow sword damage in most fights (bosses are the exception), not to mention all the utility that comes with the upgraded magic.
Considering what we've seen about W3, the signs should still be able a very viable way of blowing shit up. Especially now that all of them can be used differently.

Yeah, don't mind me, I'm just surprised that so many people prefer swords to magic. :hmm:

I like up close and personal. Always try to play "sword" characters in games so it'll likely be swords at max with everything that's left put into signs.

Cool question. Originally I was planning on going deep into Swordsmanship. But now I am favoring Alchemy instead because I want to integrate myself in the lore and learn each monster's weaknesses, and I think the Alchemy tree will do just that. Plus I liked the Alchemy tree in TW2 (but that might've been because of gameplay balance.)

I'm actually a little unsure after the last trailer and some of the recent reviews, as they also implied that a balanced approach may be better. Of course, the fact that a reviewer said he had problems deciding doesn't mean there really is a quandary.

Well, all the special effects look like fun.

Truth be told, I have a perverse desire to chop off limbs, so I'll be favoring swordsmanship.
I also have a tendency to play with matches - so I might be burning things on occasion.
Someone told me, throwing stuff that goes boom can be fun too.

Yet, if I had to focus - (1) Sword play (2) Magic (3) a few key bombs/salves etc for buffing.
Yeah, we pretty well need them all. At higher difficulty levels, I might guess that alchemy plays a large role.

Slightly off topic - do we get to play with axes, spears etc.?
Although swords are fun, nothing like changing it up a bit.

Top Bottom