The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - PC System Requirements are here!

+
Well this thing just got me puzzled. It does say on the official site that cards under R7870 are not supported, but that maybe just due to theoretical lack of power - not software conditions that would absolutely prevent the game from working. I'm pretty sure that my system will run it on some level of specs, I'm not an FPS freak, so as long as it does't run on 20 it's all good...

I'm sure you could run the game.
I have a Sapphire 7850 OC 2GB card collecting dust at the moment. I'm sure it would be capable of running the Witcher 3 at low settings.
They have to list something as the requirement. Although, it doesn't mean that an overclocked card that is technically below spec., can't run it.
You just need to be happy enough with low settings and low'ish fps.
I'm speculating of course, but we've seen this before. It's a matter of what you're willing to live with, to play the game.

Recommended GPU discrepancy?

Was looking at the recommended GPU for TW3, and from AMD's side you have the R9 290 and from Nvidia you have the GTX 770....

However the R9 290 performs better than the GTX 770, the AMD Equiv of the 770 is the R9 280x.

At first I thought well maybe the games performs better on Nvidia cards but then if you look at the minimum requirements: AMD 7870 and Nvidia 660, which are known to be fairly close in performance, it would suggest that the game would perform about the same on AMD and Nvidia equivalents.

Not really. Low end cards are operating without some components running. Higher end cards are using more expensive methods.

If there was a difference in the efficiency of the cards between the two brands in the high detail rendering methods and shaders then this could easily produce a differential. The Witcher is using the multi-platform Direct Compute/PhysX methods, but these are still more closely aligned with the Nvidia stable than AMD.

Bear in mind that these estimates for performance were made a while ago and optimisations have been continuing, so the current recommendations may be changed but as yet unpublished. A huge amount of optimisation work has been done and it is stated it is now running more smoothly. How much? Dunno. Maybe enough to make the early specifications conservative? Maybe not?

The game is developed in close partnership with Nvidia and utilizing Nvidia favoring features like HBAO+, PhysX and HairWorks so it's not surprising if they recommend more powerful card for AMD side to reach the desired performance. The case was much worse with FarCry 4 when they were comparing a GTX 680 with an R9 290X. Hopefully with Witcher 3 being nicely optimized it will perform good on both sides.

Man GTA is horribly optimized too.. another bad port.

Open World PC Ports seem to be cursed over the last year. Watch Dogs,AC:U and now GTA5.. all with really crappy starts...

lets hope this is not a bad omen

Man GTA is horribly optimized too.. another bad port.
According to guru3d:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gta_v_pc_graphics_performance_review,9.html

So yes, the game itself looks and plays surprisingly well, it requires a relatively normal amount of GPU horsepower for what it needs as to renders and isn't a graphics memory hog like the previous title really was. Once you start to hit monitor resolutions of 2560x1440 or Ultra HD, that's where you need to bring out the big guns in terms of graphics hardware.

Also as @sidspyker reminded me in another thread, it's not a port.

Last edited:

Well since my PC is in the Recommended section and i play in only 1280x1024 my performance is propably not the problem here.

Well Port or not. just look over at the GTA Forums.. people having the stuttering regardless of their hardware.
Thats just not good.

Looking at the Threads over there Nvidia Cards seem to not mesh well with GTA5 even 980 users having massive stutters. AMD seems fine. Well usually its the other way around. This time AMD users catch a break :D

Last edited:
Well since my PC is in the Recommended section and i play in only 1280x1024 my performance is propably not the problem here.

Well Port or not. just look over at the GTA Forums.. people having the stuttering regardless of their hardware.
Thats just not good.

Looking at the Threads over there Nvidia Cards seem to not mesh well with GTA5 even 980 users having massive stutters. AMD seems fine. Well usually its the other way around. This time AMD users catch a break :D
Those issues don't make GTA5 a "bad port". A bit unpolished yes but It's certainly much, much better than GTA IV was and the stuttering and memory leakage etc. issues can be patched.

Those issues don't make GTA5 a "bad port". A bit unpolished yes but It's certainly much, much better than GTA IV was and the stuttering and memory leakage etc. issues can be patched.

Well right now for a huge part of Gamers(Nvidia Users) its totally unplayble. Thats right at GTA4 Level..
Oh also "quest" givers as Tonya and other "Side Mission" NPCs are Bugged or even Missing.

The bad thing is they delayed the PC Version 3 Times... i just expected a better PC Version. at least have the Mission NPCs workin 100/100 Times..

Well right now for a huge part of Gamers(Nvidia Users) its totally unplayble. Thats right at GTA4 Level..
Oh also "quest" givers as Tonya and other "Side Mission" NPCs are Bugged or even Missing.

The bad thing is they delayed the PC Version 3 Times... i just expected a better PC Version. at least have the Mission NPCs workin 100/100 Times..
Open world games tend to be buggy at launch. It's a shame but this isn't exactly new. I'll be testing the game on my GTX 970 SLI setup today after work so I guess I'll see myself if it's as bad as you claim it is.

Hello new to the series

Well am new i just built a new Computer and got a copy of this game for buying a GTX 980 game looks good

So here are my Specs

I7 5820k OC 3.8 GHZ
GTX 980 4gb ddr5
8gb ddr4
2tb hard drive 7200rpm

will i be able to max it out?

Moderator: A post has been deleted. We do not use these forums for the purpose of making personal attacks against other members.

As to performance and power of the Maxwell and Volcanic Islands cards, it is well known and clear from objective and publicly available evidence that performance per unit power is very much on the side of the Maxwell cards.

We'll use gigaflops per watt, since that measure is important to eskiMoe and anybody else who has to pay utility bills.

The most efficient single Volcanic Islands is the R9 290X. 5632 gigaflops, 290 watts, 19.42 GF/W, 69.9 PF/KWh (that's petaflops per kilowatt-hour).

Compare the most efficient Maxwell to date, the 980. 4612 gigaflops, 165 watts, 27.95 GF/W, 101 PF/KWh.

Looked at one way, you're crunching 44% more numbers per unit operating cost; looked at the other way, you're saving 31% of your operating cost to crunch the same numbers.

So I have to say @eskiMoe was absolutely correct in an important matter.

Last edited:
Witcher on PC is not a port ;)
As for my previous concern: I think I will only install additional 4 GB of random acces mem, and try to run the game. With a bit of luck it will run on low/med @ around 30fps. I wouldn't be complaining.

I have a 5820k and 780ti in SLI with 16gb of RAM. I know i'll be able to play the game on high settings, but I am slightly worried about VRAM. GTA 5 was the first test for me, my pc passed very well. Great performance and the game looks amazing. I hope I can achieve similar results with The Witcher 3, if not ill have to start looking at something like the new Titan, I really don't want that conversation with my wife... It's just that this game really deserves to be played on the highest possible settings that you can afford.

I have a 5820k and 780ti in SLI with 16gb of RAM. I know i'll be able to play the game on high settings, but I am slightly worried about VRAM. GTA 5 was the first test for me, my pc passed very well. Great performance and the game looks amazing. I hope I can achieve similar results with The Witcher 3, if not ill have to start looking at something like the new Titan, I really don't want that conversation with my wife... It's just that this game really deserves to be played on the highest possible settings that you can afford.

Your system looks good enough for ultra, 780ti in SLI is still top class. I haven't bought GTAV myself so I can't say but according to this article, it start consuming 3.8 GB vram or above at 4k. At 1080p it stays around 2.5 or 3 GB.

http://wccftech.com/gta-4k-60-fps-attainable-660-graphics-solution/

I think the case will be similar for TW3 (can't say for sure) but according to recommended requirements it asks for a 2 GB vram (GTX 770) for med-high at 1080p so for ultra a guess could be 3 GB or slightly above.

Last edited:
Top Bottom