Sword Requirement Levels, Equipment Level Scaling

+
why just not to apply some modifiers say -5 dps to sword above level and +5dps to sword equal\below your level? Have fixed stats that will change dynamically to players level

So let say I find a legendary sword, I pick it up and it downlevels to my current level and it stays that level even if I level up my characters some time after?.. if this is the case, it's really dumb

Damien says that not all items scale so the answer is... we don't know. If anything is not going to be downscaled it would seem to me that "legendary" quality equipment would fit the bill.

Which kinda goes back to what I said earlier about there just not being enough information to justify all the hysterics that this is causing. Just because it stunk in the Elder Scrolls games doesnt mean that that will be the case here. Kinda reminds me of the attitude I still see over the fact that the game is s big open world.. since DA:I had shitty f2p style quests then CDPR must be doing the same thing. Its a strange tendency.

Last edited:
Well i still think it would be awesome if this scaling would work in both ways, for unique swords
only. Like swords they are "bound by destiny" to you.

Let' say you find Aerondight or Addan Deith earlier in the game... it would just suck if they scale down
to your level and get useless during your stepping forward. Specially because they are really unique.

So... i think uopscaling with Geralt for unique swords would be nice. At last its your decision then
if you get a new one or not ;) depending if you like to keep the sword or not ;)

There are games that let you use items of a higher level with a penalty to their stats until you reach the right one.

This is definitely one way to go about this and it could work very well.

There must have been a reason for CDPR to choose this current implementation, so we'll just have to see the full picture and how this piece fits in it. I don't think they would do it just because one of the game designers woke up one day and said that it must be so.

This is definitely one way to go about this and it could work very well.
Yeah, not the first way I'd go about loot (I just don't like level-depending itemization, as a general rule) but it would surely work far better than permanently scale the level of items down.

There must have been a reason for CDPR to choose this current implementation, so we'll just have to see the full picture and how this piece fits in it. I don't think they would do it just because one of the game designers woke up one day and said that it must be so.
I can understand the willing to give these devs a chance, but we aren't really talkign about anything particularly new here.
Autoscaling loot was already a thing in several games of the past and not a single time it worked for the best.
Even the best case scenario would be "not particularly annoying because I can mostly ignore loot", which is far from an ideal way to handle itemization anyway.

Let's face it, people said the same things about TES: "Well, there must be a reason if they chose this way to handle things, it will probably work for the better".
Spoiler: it didn't.

What's especially jarring for TW3 is the terrible mismatch between not scaling monsters (good!) and "loot that will always scale to your level" (UGH!).
So, let this thought sink in for a minute: if in an "extraordinary show of skill" you'll manage to kill a far more powerful monster beyond your level guarding a cave with a treasure... you'll obtain a weapon which is scaled back to your exact level... How is that even remotely a good design choice?

Let' say you find Aerondight or Addan Deith earlier in the game... it would just suck if they scale down
to your level and get useless during your stepping forward. Specially because they are really unique.

This I definitely agree on. However CDPR did state that the best stuff in the game supposedly comes from crafting. So it's likely that those will either be unobtainable through Gameplay means till much closer to the max level, meaning the auto-scaling can't really hurt those weapons all that much, or perhaps they just won't scale at all because the crafted nature of them you can prepare well in advance to know when you will be able to wield that weapon.

The hope is that they've been sensible about this change, and has been implemented (And in some cases not) appropriately. We'll have to wait and see to find that out.

I don't think they would do it just because one of the game designers woke up one day and said that it must be so.

Literally how the new Alchemy system happened...

Nah, Of course it wasn't, but that's how Konrad explained it in that first interview :p

Last edited:
Let's face it, people said the same things about TES: "Well, there must be a reason if they chose this way to handle things, it will probably work for the better".
Spoiler: it didn't.

What's especially jarring for TW3 is the terrible mismatch between not scaling monsters (good!) and "loot that will always scale to your level" (UGH!).
So, let this thought sink in for a minute: if in an "extraordinary show of skill" you'll manage to kill a far more powerful monster beyond your level guarding a cave with a treasure... you'll obtain a weapon which is scaled back to your exact level... How is that even remotely a good design choice?

Great gear, even if scaling, would still be great gear, they've confirmed this, so at least we would still get something that should be much better than the gear for the current level.

Whether it's the right call in therm of design, we can only speculate for now, but I hope that it will be for the best. I'm not going to lose any sleep over this.

Are you referring to the statment you quoted in previous post about not auto-generating everything? Auto-generating <> auot scaling... If not that quote then which one?

Yes, that is the statement I am referring to. What else do you think he means? The context is clear to me, he precedes that statement by saying "...but that you cannot use until you've levelled up more." Then immediately follows that up with "In some cases that's still the case; we don't auto-generate everything, but in some cases we do and it's pretty cool because it guarantees an awesome piece of gear that you'll be able to use instantly."

Now, I'll admit that I'm no english scholar but I don't know what else I am suppose to derive from that passage. Autogenerating loot based on a player level = autoscaling. In some cases its still the case that you will find items that you cannot use.

I'm surprised that nearly no one commented on @thisIsmadness' quote from two pages ago. Apparently Damien talked about this stuff a month ago, in a more detail. And what I understand from it is that not every equipment will auto-scale, as well. (@Phalzyr I know it's semantics at this point, but you can think of it as they are "generating" the stats of the item based on your level). I would think that this would solve most of the problems, as unique legendary swords shouldn't scale, in my opinion. Of course we can't know until we play the game.

I love how everybody wants to quote from the GT livestream, except they only quote about half of what he said. It doesn't bother me enough to direct quote, but I'll summarize below.

He immediately follows up the explanation of the system with something to the equivalent of: You would think this would lead to players killing a monster and being sad because if they had waited a couple more levels, they could have gotten a better version of that weapon, but this just isn't the case. You are consistently finding enough high quality loot that you never feel like you are missing out. This system just keeps people from having to wait several hours to use any equipment that they get from tough challenges.

He also mentions lightly that there are multiple areas designed around providing a challenge to a max-level Geralt.

Last edited:
Yes, that is the statement I am referring to. What else do you think he means?
Sorry maybe I need to go read it again but I thought he was talking about two thing the auto leveling and then uniquness of items, the auto -generating meant not random items but manually placed ones, not that they weren't down graded. I could be wrong there.

EDIT: Re-read Yeah you might be right there, the wording to me is weird though. Well we'll see hopefully you are right :D

Last edited:
I really cant think of other way, how would you stop player from traveling to high level area, buying sword with high damage stat and then killing everything despite his low level? In linear games like TW1, TW2 you dont need level requirements for weapons and armor because you have control over player and his movement in the world, in open-world games its not so easy.

Easy....do it like skill-based rpgs.

Your CHARACTERS skills > Weapon.

If you skill up your sword skill, you get better with swords, you can still have swords that are "Better" then others and have better "Stats" but you odn't put the "damage" and things FULLY on the swords/items, you place it into a combination where your characers skills actually MEAN something and factor into the dmg.

So for example, if you have low "sword" skill and you find an amazing "sword," because your actual characters "skill" in sword is low (just like in real life) the sword doesn't mgically make you a "God" while fighting with it, rather you will still be lackluster at swordplay but with a slighty better stats.

Easy....do it like skill-based rpgs.

Your CHARACTERS skills > Weapon.

If you skill up your sword skill, you get better with swords, you can still have swords that are "Better" then others and have better "Stats" but you odn't put the "damage" and things FULLY on the swords/items, you place it into a combination where your characers skills actually MEAN something and factor into the dmg.

So for example, if you have low "sword" skill and you find an amazing "sword," because your actual characters "skill" in sword is low (just like in real life) the sword doesn't mgically make you a "God" while fighting with it, rather you will still be lackluster at swordplay but with a slighty better stats.

I'm confused, isn't that exactly what the game is doing? There is a swordsmanship skill tree where you can further develop how effective Geralt is at swordplay. Character progression is a combination of skill selection, level, gear, upgrades, consumables, and which attacks you actively use. Many of the limitations exist to keep these things balanced with one another.

Could anyone correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I understood you get an item, a sword for example. Now, this sword is for lv 20 and you are lv 15. You can either wait to become lv 20 and use the sword at its full capacity or use it at lv 15. The second option "degrades" the weapon and scales it to your level. That is a permanent downscale.

But from what I am reading here I am understanding that gear auto scales when you acquire it, not when you use it. So if I get that sword I won't have the two options I listed above, but only one - the sword will automatically scale down for my level.
The only way to prevent a weapon from scaling down to your level is to not get it?

Is the 1st or the 2nd paragraph true? The first one is what I understood from the interview with Damien, the second - from reading a few pages from here

The problem with reading this thread is that it has changed through time.

Our current understanding, which should be final as the game has gone Gold, is that in your example it would become a Level 15 sword in terms of damage but with the Level 20 bonus stats (crits, presumably), so it will be better than most Level 15 swords. And it will stay that way.

I'm surprised that nearly no one commented on @thisIsmadness' quote from two pages ago. Apparently Damien talked about this stuff a month ago, in a more detail. And what I understand from it is that not every equipment will auto-scale, as well. (@Phalzyr I know it's semantics at this point, but you can think of it as they are "generating" the stats of the item based on your level). I would think that this would solve most of the problems, as unique legendary swords shouldn't scale, in my opinion. Of course we can't know until we play the game.

All items should not scale.

Top Bottom