Community manager for CDPR compares gamergate to the KKK

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though I did not want to involve myself in this discussion, I just had to.

This issue can be fixed if Priestly just adds a disclaimer on his twitter page that his opinions are his own and not CDPR's (like all REDs did on their twitter pages) the problem will be fixed, not matter how ridiculous his opinions are, they won't be traced to CDPR itself, they will be only his own, whoever says otherwise would be rightfully called stupid.

Even though I did not want to involve myself in this discussion, I just had to.

This issue can be fixed if Priestly just adds a disclaimer on his twitter page that his opinions are his own and not CDPR's (like all REDs did on their twitter pages) the problem will be fixed, not matter how ridiculous his opinions are, they won't be traced to CDPR itself, they will be only his own, whoever says otherwise would be rightfully called stupid.

There will always be people that will associate one with the other, no matter what disclaimer is put up. Not calling it a bad idea, just saying it might not be as effective as one might think.

True, but the damage is already done, this is to do some damage control and to prevent future problems.

I think the real problem isn't so much the fact that this is is linked to CDPR, but rather that the community manager, the guy who is supposed to manage the community, would hold such views.

In that position, his views are not just his own regardless of how he cuts it.

Eh. It's not any worse than Brett Favre's dick picks. Vick's dog fighting pit. etc etc steroids; etc etc glass houses and stones.

People are sensitive. They want to known they're hugged and loved.

You'll get over it in a month.

Well here is where I'm at:
Gamergate started out as a honest idea to improve gaming journalism and then got a bad rep via some 'unfortunate' circumstances. At this point I still see the need for Gamergate, the original idea.

About Chris:
Chris is allowed to have his opinion and speak it, U.S.A is a free country with freedom of speech. Sure that freedom can hurt somebody somewhere, but if you live in a multi cultural country you have to develop somekind of 'shield' for other peoples opinions. I see this every day in my country (I'm sure I'm not the only one), each day the same group of people scream: discrimination! At the other group, and they scream back: freedom of speech! We all love to be able to speak our mind, so we have to deal with people not agreeing with us. Or finding it offensive.
And this is the internet, a place were the mere presence can offend someone. So Quen up and stop being so easily offended.

You can find it offensive, but Chris can say what he wants, just as you can post your opinion here. But stop overreacting. And if it is really as horrible as people here are pretending it to be, CDPR will reprimand Chris one way or another.

Unfortunately, harassment is not new. Nor is comparison of an organization that seems to make a core value of sex-based harassment to an organization that made a core value of race-based harassment necessarily invalid. The difference between "keep blacks out of white society" and "keep women out of gaming culture" is a difference, not of kind, but of degree.

Really?

This attempt at equating Gamergate with the KKK is nothing less than ludicrous. First off - because it does seem like some basic facts need to be cleared - the KKK is a formal organisation. There's leadership. There's hierarchy. There's rank and file. There's an explicit official creed whose adoption and profession of faith are indispensable to becoming and remaining a member in good standing. Needless to say nothing remotely similar happens in Gamergate.

Given the very decentralized informal nature of Gamergate, pretty much anyone - including detractors, impostors - can go on Twitter and babble all sorts of rubbish and punctuate the 140 characters with the Gamergate hashtag. There's no central authority to authenticate and vouch for those tweets. To omit this very foundational fact from one's analysis is grossly misrepresenting Gamergate, I think.

Secondly, it is also a gross misrepresentation to pinpoint the shunning of women from gaming as the core goal of so-called mainstream Gamergate. It so evidently is not. Have some fringe lone wolves made derogatory remarks towards female gamers while using the Gamergate hashtag? Yes, they have. Is that behaviour representative of so-called mainstream Gamergate, an indication of their goals and methods? Absolutely not. Please notice the disparity. It's not the fringe lone wolves in the KKK that do the trademark things the KKK is infamous for.

So to boil down the difference between the two not to a matter of nature but instead to a matter of degree is toying with words and cannot be taken seriously. The KKK leaves a bloody legacy, a trail of real, often dead, victims behind. The way I see it honouring their memory entails not downplaying the KKK's actions by associating them to words on Twitter.

Lastly, I'd like to add that I'm not that sympathetic to Gamergate's central cause, which is to expose the alleged corruption in gaming journalism. That however doesn't send me conflating what they aim to achieve with what a few crackpots inflict upon the world via Twitter.

Last edited:
Eh. It's not any worse than Brett Favre's dick picks. Vick's dog fighting pit. etc etc steroids; etc etc glass houses and stones.

People are sensitive. They want to known they're hugged and loved.

You'll get over it in a month.

Get the hell out of gaming, woman. The collective does not want you here. What? There's no collective? Damn.

:p

o.o Explain that joke to me, pls.

Clearly women thinks in months or cycles, where as men think in the minutes. Men beat each other up and 5 minutes later they are drinking a cold beer together inspecting each others battle wounds.

Women fight and they hate each other for life. Women hold grudges like no other.

But the jist was you said month or cycle so that makes you a man hater .....lol

in all seriousness though, glad you are here. I like all gamers even if they are "girls" ;-)

But stop overreacting. And if it is really as horrible as people here are pretending it to be, CDPR will reprimand Chris one way or another.

Overreacting to what? Most people aren't burning CDPR at the stake for this. What I am personally saying though is that when you are in such a position you must be careful about your words.

Also yes I would at the very least expect a reprimand.

Clearly women thinks in months or cycles, where as men think in the minutes. Men beat each other up and 5 minutes later they are drinking a cold beer together inspecting each others battle wounds.

Women fight and they hate each other for life. Women hold grudges like no other.

But the jist was you said month or cycle so that makes you a man hater .....lol

...<.< That is the silliest thing I have ever heard.

@CostinRaz

Would you want them to reprimand him with a gentle hand, something firm and soft; yet filled with the incarnation of a thousand suns? Or a rough hand that silences with the Fear of Shagguroth!

I call people cancelling their pre orders, overreacting... Or just trolls.

Eh well we live in a world where boycotts of companies happen on a regular basis because of certain statements made by company members.

It's a valid pressure group tactic.

...<.< That is the silliest thing I have ever heard.

@CostinRaz

Would you want them to reprimand him with a gentle hand, something firm and soft; yet filled with the incarnation of a thousand suns? Or a rough hand that silences with the Fear of Shagguroth!

It was meant to be silly...

Eh well we live in a world where boycotts of companies happen on a regular basis because of certain statements made by company members.

Y-you've seen how those...g-go, right? xD The outcome is hardly ever good. I am willing to bet that the crier's win like 10% of the time versus the people they're against.

Indeed, if you get enough people to do it.

I don't know what CDPR's policy is, do they allow their employees to voice their opinions this openly? I hope so.

Didn't this guy lost his job at Bioware for saying something to Felicia Day on twitter?

if he doesn't apologize I'm canceling my pre-order, simple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom