The Yennefer/Triss choice in TW3

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
At first it looked like a easy choice for me. I almosst didn't know who Yennefer was until second game and even after I wouldn't choose her in TW3. Then I read all the books except for the last and ok, I will give Yenn some chance, but I'm still more for Triss. Just because my Geralt is different from books in that he is more ruthless from game to game and will stop at nothing to get what he wants. Different person, same memories.

Fair enough.

I guess in the end it depends if the reader "falls in love" with Yennefer too while reading the books. I can imagine that some people might not like Yennefers personality that much and are like "Why does Geralt like her?" or that they Role-Play up a Geralt who "changed" somehow.

But if you go by the books, and if you really share some of the feelings Geralt goes through then you are rather tending towards Yennefer I guess. Sapkowski has a really unique way describing feelings and sensations that speaks to me somehow. It was really immersive. While reading the books I almost felt like Getalt and in the end I shared most of his feelings for those characters.

Last edited:
But if you go by the books, and if you really share some of the feelings Geralt goes through then you are rather tending towards Yennefer I guess.

As you said... if you go by the BOOKs, and thats what i ll always argue... true for book story it is only Yennefer
and it ll be always Yennefer. But for the witcher 3 i can' t be that easy, because we had TW1 and TW2 where
we where going our dangerous witcher path with Triss. Sure a different Triss than in the books.
But this also complete plausible since years have passed when Geralt rises from his grave.

NO if you see the whole picture, then it can' t be that easy. If CDPR did this right... it will not be EASY to
say Yennefer or Triss. This is exactly how it should be.

As you said... if you go by the BOOKs, and thats what i ll always argue... true for book story it is only Yennefer
and it ll be always Yennefer. But for the witcher 3 i can' t be that easy, because we had TW1 and TW2 where
we where going our dangerous witcher path with Triss. Sure a different Triss than in the books.
But this also complete plausible since years have passed when Geralt rises from his grave.

NO if you see the whole picture, then it can' t be that easy. If CDPR did this right... it will not be EASY to
say Yennefer or Triss. This is exactly how it should be.

Maybe your right.

But you see. I was one of the guys who did play the games first. And I did originally like Triss more. But the more I'm reading from the books now the more I am tending towards Yennefer. Idk.... It's just.... despite what happened in TW1 and TW2 I still feel Yennefer is it.

Sure, Triss is nice and all, and to be honest I DO find her very similar in the books in comparison to the games, I just think in the games she gets more exposure and is more important. Yes I would feel guilty choosin Yennefer considering Triss was with us all that time. But there is no way around the decision and if Yennefer is still the Yennefer I/we know from the books it will be Yennefer for me.

Maybe it is the sole reason that - even though CDPR does an amazing job conveying emotions, better than any game I played before - books are just creating a stronger emotional bond than games to characters for me personally.

You suffer the same problem i do right now @BlackWolf500.298 i played the games first too.
Then read the books, i sure "love" Yennefer but i also recognize her flaws, as i do with Triss.

The whole problem is... the relatonship in the books has just a "lower pace" than the relationship in
the games... this is why most of the people leaning more torwards Yennefer. But if you recall TW1
for example then you have a pretty similar relationship with Triss like Geralt has with Yennefer
in the books. But the telling suffers from the game pace, definatly. I just took a step back, took a
look at the whole situation at start of TW3. Then i said.... hm... you just can see how things will
go here... both might do things you don' t like. Both might do things they "proof" their absolute
loyality to Geralt and Ciri. Yes i think Ciri and the events happen "around" her will play a huge
role in this Yennefer X Triss thing too :D

Argh... damned.... as you see. Quite complicated... thats why i will just wait for the Story
to play out.

Last edited:
You suffer the same problem i do right now @BlackWolf500.298 i played the games first too.
Then read the books, i sure "love" Yennefer but i also recognize her flaws, as i do with Triss.

The whole problem is... the relatonship in the books has just a "lower pace" than the relationship in
the games... this is why most of the people leaning more torwards Yennefer. But if you recall TW1
for example then you have a pretty similar relationship with Triss like Geralt has with Yennefer
in the books. But the telling suffers from the game pace, definatly. I just took a step back, took a
look at the whole situation at start of TW3. Then i said.... hm... you just can see how things will
go here... both might do things you don' t like. Both might do things they "proof" their absolute
loyality to Geralt and Ciri. Yes i think Ciri and the events happen "around" her will play a huge
role in this Yennefer X Triss thing too :D

Argh... damned.... as you see. Quite complicated... thats why i will just wait for the Story
to play out.

Nah, I think I made my decision already, but I'm open for changing my opinion if something unusual happens or for the second playthrough.

Fair enough.

I guess in the end it depends if the reader "falls in love" with Yennefer too while reading the books. I can imagine that some people might not like Yennefers personality that much and are like "Why does Geralt like her?" or that they Role-Play up a Geralt who "changed" somehow.

Yes, totally agree with you. I, too, read the books and I do like Yennefer a lot (she is a strong, mature woman and always respected her for her courage, intelligence etc). But to be honest, I, as a reader, didn't "fall in love with her". I mean, she is one of my favorite characters in the saga but after reading the book twice I realized that I am not too fond of her relationship with Geralt. Nevertheless, I can understand why Geralt loved her so much. So yes, I also think that it indeed depends on "personal taste".

Last edited:
I get a sadistic sort of pleasure at how much people decry the idea of a threesome relationship if they've read the books.

Let us keep in mind that there will be, in essence, three type of people who are playing this game. And part of game design means that it will need to make sense to, and appeal to, all three types of people.

Person #1: I've read ALL THE BOOKS, probably played both games, and TW3 is the most interactive fan-fiction in my favorite fantasy universe ever!

This person has significant background with these characters. He will make choices based on this background, and expect the characters he interacts with to respond appropriately to the book background knowledge he comes equipped with.

Person #2: I've played the Witcher games before, and they have the BEST RPG STORY, I'm in love with Triss, and screw anybody who doesn't respect the fact that I've spent 100+ hours developing this strong personal connection with that red-headed wonder.

This person has deep attachments that are, in many ways, completely inviolate of the book source materiel, and will make decisions based solely on how Geralt has developed through the games and within their personal experiences from those games. This person will expect those choices to be respected and for Geralt to still be consistent to the Geralt from the their previous game experiences.

Person #3: I've never played a Witcher game before, but TW3 looks like the BEST GAME EVERRRRRRRRR, and I really want to fuck some shit up in this world.

This person, while not represented well on the forum, is going to make up a significant amount (one may even say the majority) of players who are actually completing TW3 in reality. They have no book knowledge, no game knowledge (except for whatever backstory is present in TW3) and will expect the characters to react properly to their choices within the context of TW3's story, and TW3's story alone.

This presents a large difference in player needs and expectations, and the choices that the player makes throughout the game (if the game is designed in the way it's being said that it is) should reveal to CDPR what type of player this is, what their expectations are, and how to provide that player with a sense of consistency in choice and consequences within the scope of their expectations. (36 endings, anyone?)

This being said, if you play the game shooting for Yenn, you'll probably wind up with Yenn. If you play the game shooting for Triss, you'll probably wind up with Triss (or maybe both?), If you play the game without a clear choice in mind, you may wind up with either, none, or both (I'm seriously doubting none though.)

Choices and the consequences of those choices are likely to lead to a much greater variety of different situations/outcomes than any single perspective of the character's involved and their personalities/histories will account for.

It will be interesting to see just how different two playthroughs of TW3 can actually be. (From what we've been hearing, pretty damn different, and I for one, am looking forward to it.)

Last edited:
Holy tits, I don't remember this from a trailler. What I really liked, though, was the expressions in their faces. It looks SO real.

Hopefully she is one of these options (imo the best looking female character we have seen so far, sorry Yen/Triss)

Concerning the choice between Triss and Yennefer, I am hoping for a possibility of choosing both :p Mass Effect denied my Shepard this, I want one game to rectify this.

@Merwanor

*smirk* well guess you just have to say "I am a Witcher" at the right point :p :p :p
Followed by:
Is it 19. 05. yet? no?! Then fuck off!!!

Obviously :D

Jokes aside... at this point its just speculatiing... until someone manages in his playthrough to get them both.
I also don t want them both for just 1 night... i am more than willing to invest some energy into the relationships.
Presumed we will have the option, and calm them both down enough. Since i have the feeling neither Yennefer
nor Triss would go for it, in the first place.

As i told... we will end up with a really really hard decision, if CDPR pull this off right.

Could not read the whole thread, so if this is already said, sorry U.U
I was watching all trailers, pics, gifs..... and I noticed this:

Geralt and Yen having an argument
View attachment 12940
View attachment 12942
View attachment 12943

Geralt and Triss kissing (same Geralt clothes)
View attachment 12944

My imagination is already flying...Same scene (argument and kiss) with different woman? Argument with Yen - Kissing Triss?
Tell me, what do you think?

Attachments

• vY8IxTHfAXs.jpg
    vY8IxTHfAXs.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 36
  • xP1TuRe_n2g.jpg
    xP1TuRe_n2g.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 9QKVOd1CD4M.jpg
    9QKVOd1CD4M.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 37
  • hrtKFxwHyQU.jpg
    hrtKFxwHyQU.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 41
My imagination is already flying...Same scene (argument and kiss) with different woman? Argument with Yen - Kissing Triss?
Story spoilers from the hands-on previews:
The scene with Yennefer takes place at the end of the prologue in the palace of Vizima. You can also see Geralt in the same clothes following Emhyr's chamberlain in the Nvidia video (00.59). Geralt will meet Triss for the first time after the prologue in Novigrad. So it can't be the same scene.Geralt probably just wears the same outfit for special occasions.

Last edited:

Well, at least to me, the scene with Triss looks like some end-game stuff. After you make THE choice maybe?
And Geralt probably wears that outfit for special occasions. You're not going to a ball or something in your fancy Nilfgaardian armor or dirty old leather rags, are you?

@guilhermecn
but i think there should be a stop to not create a sims game
there is already a fables game out there lol but seriously i haven't read the witcher books , is there a hot blonde and can she be part of this yen-triss relationship?

not that i like blondes over the other but i mean there are maybe people who don't like black haired women that much and prefer blonde? wouldn't it be wise to implement something like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom