Votes: 9 14.1%
  • PlayStation 4

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Keyboard & Mouse

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • Have not decided yet

Votes: 8 12.5%

• Total voters
When it comes to third person action games that don't require much shooting, I use a controller for all the movement and m+k for the menus and inventory.
Having seen the aiming with the crossbow, I may end up swapping to m+k all the time, aiming with a controller just feels horrible.
As to what controller, dualshock, there's no question, never liked any controller as much as the DS3 and DS4.

I will on my first playthrough be using my wireless Xbox One controller since my gaming rig is connected to my beautiful 55" flatscreen TV and I will be laying relaxed back in the sofa just absorbing this amazing game. However I will be using M+K on later playthroughs I am sure. So in all honest in the long run M+K will most likely be dominate in terms of time used. Yet I still voted Xbox One controller as it will be the first choice.

Last edited:
I'm comfortable to flip flop between controller/KB+M based on the game. For platformers, character action, racing, and fighting games I stick with a controller. For just about everything else I use KB+M. This game seems very similar to character action games so I'm gonna go with a controller.

I will give the mouse + keyboard a shot but if the game UI is too consolized (i.e. Witcher 2) I will switch to my XB 360 controller.

I used to always use K+M up until Arkham City. I then started to use the X360 controller more and more often for 3rd person action games. Shadows of Mordor, replays of Dead Space, that kind of thing.

Still, I'll try K+M first and see how it feels.

I had some time to kill so I made this, it should be correct. :)

Attachments

• witcher3x1contmapUpdate.jpg
    witcher3x1contmapUpdate.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I'll probably start the game on my XBO, but when I start playing on the PC bit later, I'll probably go with K + M.

I usually play some games (AC for example) with a controller (the X360 or the XBO now that I have them), so who knows, I might even play it on the PC with a controller if I like it on the XBO.

I will on my first playthrough be using my wireless Xbox One controller since my gaming rig is connected to my beautiful 55" flatscreen TV and I will be laying relaxed back in the sofa just absorbing this amazing game. However I will be using M+K on later playthroughs I am sure. So in all honest in the long run M+K will most likely be dominate in terms of time used. Yet I still voted Xbox One controller as it will be the first choice.

Well, part of my "training" in gaming is playing games in "concentration mode". Actually, I can't play many games in a relaxed state, sitting on my couch, laying back. That way I always have the feeling to underperform, even if I don't play any competitive or at least challenging game. I'm so used to sit at a desk in front of my PC monitor, being full concentrated and in a position (imho) best suited to perform optimally. That may sound strange to some, but I can't imagine playing a game like Witcher sitting or laying on a couch with a controller in hand. The only games I play on my big TV on the couch are sports games together with my friends and even then I very much tend to sit in an upright position with the arms at least lying on my femorals to get some stability.

For me, games require and deserve full attention and concentration. And I can't imagine for myself being able to get the most ouf of it being somewhere else than sitting in a comfortable chair in an upright position at my desk right in front of my monitor with my arms resting on mouse/keyboard which are based on "solid ground" for maximum stability. That's how I game. So it's not just that I'm used to use mouse and keyboard, I'm also used and "trained" to game at a desk in full concentration mode. It's (at least for me) something very different to e.g. watching TV in a relaxed state on my couch. Completely different form of how to consume entertainment.

Bottom line: I don't feel comfortable playing on a couch in front of the big screen with a controller because I miss both mouse/keyboard as my control input of choice that I'm used to and my whole desk/chair/monitor setup that enables me to fully concentrate on the game and the challenges that may lie ahead of me... ;)

Well, part of my "training" in gaming is playing games in "concentration mode". Actually, I can't play many games in a relaxed state, sitting on my couch, laying back. That way I always have the feeling to underperform, even if I don't play any competitive or at least challenging game. I'm so used to sit at a desk in front of my PC monitor, being full concentrated and in a position (imho) best suited to perform optimally. That may sound strange to some, but I can't imagine playing a game like Witcher sitting or laying on a couch with a controller in hand. The only games I play on my big TV on the couch are sports games together with my friends and even then I very much tend to sit in an upright position with the arms at least lying on my femorals to get some stability.

For me, games require and deserve full attention and concentration. And I can't imagine for myself being able to get the most ouf of it being somewhere else than sitting in a comfortable chair in an upright position at my desk right in front of my monitor with my arms resting on mouse/keyboard which are based on "solid ground" for maximum stability. That's how I game. So it's not just that I'm used to use mouse and keyboard, I'm also used and "trained" to game at a desk in full concentration mode. It's (at least for me) something very different to e.g. watching TV in a relaxed state on my couch. Completely different form of how to consume entertainment.

Bottom line: I don't feel comfortable playing on a couch in front of the big screen with a controller because I miss both mouse/keyboard as my control input of choice that I'm used to and my whole desk/chair/monitor setup that enables me to fully concentrate on the game and the challenges that may lie ahead of me... ;)

I get what you are saying but I think it's very individual as I have no problem concentrating like that. I played The Witcher 2 on dark mode like that, aswell as Dark Souls 1+2 and have no problems concentrating or perform. Besides to me a RPG (at least for my first playthrough) is more about immersion than maximizing my in-game performance vs the challenges thrown my way and I just do that better in front of my Big screen TV when relaxing on my sofa with my feet up. I guess in someways it can be thought of as a state of trance where I get completely lost in the game for hours on end. I simple have a harder time doing that in front of my desktop screen.

However there are things that are frustrating with a controller. That can be things like inventory management, quick saving/loading, crafting, buy/selling and so on. But it's a give and take and as I mentioned earlier any playthroughs later will most likely be on M+K. I don't even think my lady will allow me to occupy the TV for yet another 200+ hours ;)

Last edited:
I guess in someways it can be thought of as a state of trance where I get completely lost in the game for hours on end. I simple have a harder time doing that in front of my desktop screen.
For me it's exactly the other way round. I can only "get lost" in a video game for hours sitting in front of my desktop screen. For me, "concentration" and "immersion" go hand in hand. ;)

Yeah, I can also concentrate quite well sitting back on the recliner with a controller playing on the big TV. It's just how people train themselves to play. And I can't play with a keyboard and mouse, not to mention playing on a smaller monitor. HDTV FTW!

However there are things that are frustrating with a controller. That can be things like inventory management, quick saving/loading, crafting, buy/selling and so on. But it's a give and take and as I mentioned earlier any playthroughs later will most likely be on M+K. I don't even think my lady will allow me to occupy the TV for yet another 200+ hours ;)

Stuff should not be more difficult on controllers compared to keyboards. It's just that CDPR has been making Witcher games for PC, and isn't yet fully familiar with how to do the inventory, trading, accessing the full map, etc., with a controller properly. Witcher 3 might still have a few issues, but let's see. Since a lot more console folks will be playing this one, I'm sure they'll let CDPR know. I bet the rotating map will get a few mentions if it can't be locked. And if people can't access the full map with a single button press, and/or have to zoom in awkwardly once they open the full map, that'll upset folks too. There are more things I can mention after playing Witcher 2 with a controller, but this is not the place.

Last edited:
Mouse + Keyboard, For me using controllers feels like having your hands tied together, it just restricts my movement and feels uncomfortable :/

For me it's exactly the other way round. I can only "get lost" in a video game for hours sitting in front of my desktop screen. For me, "concentration" and "immersion" go hand in hand. ;)

I have no problem concentrating like that and of course that can heighten the immersion. That is however not to say I think the two always must go hand in hand and you therefore can't have one without the other. :)

I have both the controller and K&M, I'll try out both and see which one flies better

Top Bottom