Not sure about what to do before TW3, please help!

+
Well, if you get the physical edition of the game it does include a booklet called, "The Witcher Universe" detailing the Witcher story. I'm not sure if it's enough in your case.

Ok so Geralt knows about it but I shouldn't look at the spoiler that vivaxardas2015 posted. If I read The Last Wish and The Sword of Destiny, and play The Witcher 1 and 2, I won't find out? I think I'll skip reading them all because I don't believe I'll have enough time, so would it be something to find out in TW3 or now?

It will (or at least should) be obvious from the very beginning. Emhyr knows it, Geralt knows it, Emhyr is very concerned for Ciri, so the explanation why will be given right from the start.

Ok so Geralt knows about it but I shouldn't look at the spoiler that vivaxardas2015 posted. If I read The Last Wish and The Sword of Destiny, and play The Witcher 1 and 2, I won't find out? I think I'll skip reading them all because I don't believe I'll have enough time, so would it be something to find out in TW3 or now?

No you won't. It's revealed in the Lady of the Lake (the 7th book) near the end. And to be honest I'm not sure how to advise you properly.
You sure will find out in the Witcher 3. But it will change the way you look at Emhyr drastically. And after you know this you will eventually read the books differently.
But I would always recommend you to read them. They are really worth the time. It gives you a much better view of the lore.

It will (or at least should) be obvious from the very beginning. Emhyr knows it, Geralt knows it, Emhyr is very concerned for Ciri, so the explanation why will be given right from the start.

Ok great, so the game isn't spoiled for me! :) I'll continue with my plan of doing as much as I can of the books and games, books first and games second, and I'll watch a couple lore series when I'm done. I'll hopefully learn of this spoiler the right way, through the books or games, or videos if I have to. Thanks everyone! :D

Edit: Hmm, I might just read all the books and play both games even if it makes me wait to play TW3, I hope I can handle it. At least I might have all my orders, patches, DLC, and updates waiting for me. Also what about the 8th book, is there a fan translation of it and in what order would I read that? Thanks again!

Last edited:
If you don't know what to do until The Witcher 3's release ... well, there is one - admittedly somewhat unorthodox - solution to your predicament.

Attachments

• Witcher 3 via time machine.jpg
    Witcher 3 via time machine.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 41
Does anyone know if Season of Storms should be read before or after the rest of the books?

Edit: Couldn't handle it and tried to check the spoiler and look away quickly to get an idea of what it's about, turns out it's something I think I knew. Don't know if that's good or bad to know when reading and playing the series, in the end it's all just to enjoy The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt more and I hope there are more surprises in the Witcher series than the general stuff they show in those"Getting you ready for The Witcher 3" videos.

Last edited:
If you can't get through the books or don't have the will to get through the books before playing the game, reading the wikipedia summaries are pretty good. But reading the books eventually is probably a wise move because you'll get all the tiny little dialogue references that so far the promotional footage has been seeping with. So maybe save a canon playthrough for later. It'd be interesting to see what different decisions you'd make before and after!

Or ask one of the forumites to summarise the key facts right before you play it.

I'd also say the same for the previous two Witcher games. Wikipediaaaaa (or even let's plays).

They are not that lengthy, actually. I've just started re-reading them (starting from The Last Wish) and I'm fairly sure that I'll finish this considerably earlier than May 19. Last time I re-read them, it took about three weeks of fairly relaxed reading in my spare time, IIRC, or even less.

I read them within 14 days...so yes,it's possible :p
actually I might go read them again x)

Does anyone know if Season of Storms should be read before or after the rest of the books?

Season of Storms should be read at the very end. There is a fan-translation-in-progress, but it's not complete yet (well, if you know German, Spanish or Russian, you can read the official translations, since they are already out).
Season of Storms is some sort of a prequel, the story there happens before the first short story from The Last Wish, but after the last one (yeah, they are not in chronological order). Anyway, the story in Season of Storms is somewhat self-contained and won't really be needed to better understand the background in TW3, as opposed to the story in the books of the main saga.

Last edited:
I really recommend to read the books.I started like two weeks ago and im already reading The Swallow´s Tower.Im using a pdf reader for my tablet,that helps a lot,specially cuz english aint my main language. The feeling that u get when u r reading and suddenly someone that u saw in the first two games shows up is priceless.Im sure i would regret play the third one without know so much more about ciri geralt and yen relationship and the wild hunt of course(not there yet)

Cmon guys read the books,u wont regreat it.!!

Edit: Hmm, I might just read all the books and play both games even if it makes me wait to play TW3, I hope I can handle it.

Yes, definitely do this. I know they say you don't NEED to, and that's most likely true but it will increase your enjoyment of the games. And if you haven't played the first two yet then i can only recommend the books more. I wish I had read the books before playing the games, I just about managed to follow the plot and enjoyed it but my second play through (after reading the books) was so much better.

Besides, the books hold up by themselves and it's well worth delaying playing the games to read them. Just read the last wish and you'll want to read the entire series.

Thanks Everyone! :D

Yes, definitely do this. I know they say you don't NEED to, and that's most likely true but it will increase your enjoyment of the games. And if you haven't played the first two yet then i can only recommend the books more. I wish I had read the books before playing the games, I just about managed to follow the plot and enjoyed it but my second play through (after reading the books) was so much better.

Besides, the books hold up by themselves and it's well worth delaying playing the games to read them. Just read the last wish and you'll want to read the entire series.

Yep, I'll do this. I haven't read or played any of it besides the beginning of The Last Wish (which I loved) so this should be great! :thumbup: Thanks everyone for helping, I gave you all thanks and redpoints like a madman. :p I'm kind of scared of when this game releases... So. Much.. Max settings footage...:sad::comeatmebro:

Mods can do whatever because I'm good, leave it open for more people to leave their thoughts and such, or close it. I really hope this helped people and convinced them to do what I'm doing at least to some extent. Thanks again, and wish me luck! :D

- Andrew

Last edited:
Yep, I'll do this. I haven't read or played any of it besides the beginning of The Last Wish (which I loved) so this should be great! :thumbup: Thanks everyone for helping, I gave you all thanks and redpoints like a madman. :p I'm kind of scared of when this game releases... So. Much.. Ultra footage...:sad::comeatmebro:

Mods can do whatever because I'm good, leave it open for more people to leave their thoughts and such, or close it.

I think you've made the right choice :thumbsup:

For sure, although the short stories are better than the novels IMO.

They do definately have faster pacing and more dense storylines. Also, each of them gives you a certain sensation and some things to think about.
One may lose some of that becouse of the volume of the series, but I still find it absolutely stunning.
@N00B-X-R4Z3R - Have a good read, I kinda envy you for doing it for the first time!

Top Bottom