Cloaks in Witcher 3

+
Cloaks in Witcher 3

Watching the TV spot and the Killing Monsters trailer makes me want cloaks so bad. Geralt just looks like a total boss in that black cloak.

I remember reading in an interview that CD Project said that cloaks are out, due to the complexity of implementing them, because of clipping issues or something. But man, it would be so awesome if they included them somehow. Maybe we'll get cloaks somewhere down the line as dlc?

Probably unlikely, but one can hope :) Anyone else also badly want cloaks in the game?

back in time when cloaks where a possibility and not denied, i suggested CDPR should just forget about clipping and include them anyway, as an optional cosmetic thing.

Honestly I get that implementing it perfectly or almost perfectly might require too much work or whatever, but considering its not that important, and can be made optional, i can totally make the sacrifice of clipping and "unrealistic" combat with cloaks on, if i can just have it to look cool, and to fit better with the lore in some way, because Geralt used it in the books.

Personally I can understand the charm about cloaks. In Skyrim it's one of those mods I always have on my playthroughs (accept the first one). However I don't think it fits in this game for the simple reason of realism which I think we all can agree upon is one of the core elements of the game. As such it simple won't fit a sword-fighting man like Geralt that dances around his enemies. Having a cloak swaying around with him wouldn't be believable.

Of course a argument for travelling cloaks could be made but again I think it would be a substantial amount of work to avoid the clipping issues with both Geralt himself and Roach to name a few. And I don't think you should count on the developers releasing anything less but perfect as the game is their baby. In other words I don't see they would compromise just to please some people for aesthetics.

I can only see the possibility of cloaks if there are a really good argument to be made for them to be implemented and right now I can't see any while I can see a lot of arguments against.

However who's to say it is not a job for some talented modders out there. They after all gave us them in Skyrim with huge success so why not in The Witcher Wild Hunt.

Whereas it while GEralt is walking or riding, he can be attacked at any moment this sexy and fashion cloak would mean a his certain dead. I mean... what about swords? maybe they might appear in Geralt's hands like the torch?

Personally I can understand the charm about cloaks. In Skyrim it's one of those mods I always have on my playthroughs (accept the first one). However I don't think it fits in this game for the simple reason of realism which I think we all can agree upon is one of the core elements of the game. As such it simple won't fit a sword-fighting man like Geralt that dances around his enemies. Having a cloak swaying around with him wouldn't be believable.

Of course a argument for travelling cloaks could be made but again I think it would be a substantial amount of work to avoid the clipping issues with both Geralt himself and Roach to name a few. And I don't think you should count on the developers releasing anything less but perfect as the game is their baby. In other words I don't see they would compromise just to please some people for aesthetics.

I can only see the possibility of cloaks if there are a really good argument to be made for them to be implemented and right now I can't see any while I can see a lot of arguments against.

However who's to say it is not a job for some talented modders out there. They after all gave us them in Skyrim with huge success so why not in The Witcher Wild Hunt.

In the first Story of The Last Wish, Geralt wear a cloak.

I definitely see how a cloak would hinder Geralt in swordfighting.
but from a technical point of view, is a cloak that much different from the armor Geralt wears here? it's flapping all over the place but there don't seem to be crazy clipping issues.

I wish they had left them in, even if there was clipping it'd have been nice to wear one and it certainly seems strange in the setting to not have cloaks (that's like the main clothing article worn at those times to help protect you from the cold/rain, etc).

Also cloaks would have just looked amazing with physics on them, especially when riding a horse.

---------- Updated at 10:10 PM ----------

I definitely see how a cloak would hinder Geralt in swordfighting.
but from a technical point of view, is a cloak that much different from the armor Geralt wears here? it's flapping all over the place but there don't seem to be crazy clipping issues.

You do know that cloaks could actually be useful as a tool in fighting also.

"Cloak and Dagger" was a style of fighting. You could use the cloak to mask the movement of your weapon (so the enemy couldn't see where it would come from) and also the cloak could be used to bind your enemies weapon or catch it/deflect it.

I could definitely see Geralt making use of such things.

Crying for graphic downgrade, grass, torch, UI design etc but no problem with cloaks?

You do know that cloaks could actually be useful as a tool in fighting also.

"Cloak and Dagger" was a style of fighting. You could use the cloak to mask the movement of your weapon (so the enemy couldn't see where it would come from) and also the cloak could be used to bind your enemies weapon or catch it/deflect it.

I could definitely see Geralt making use of such things.

I don't know. Geralt's goto weapon is a sword. and even if he used a dagger, he has nothing to hide, he will slice anyone up faster than they realize what's happening.

In the first Story of The Last Wish, Geralt wear a cloak.

Yes but it doesn't change the fact that if you want cloaks in the games you either have to redesign the way the combat works or severely compromise in terms of realism. Try and watch the videos released where Geralt fights and then imagine a cloak in that scenario. It just won't work for so many reasons.

I'm all for Hoods too! I agree, I don't think they can ever pull off the cloaks in game :( it sure would be killer though ;)

If i remember correctly hoods were unremovable parts of some armors at W2 and we have no reason to believe that REDs totally discarded them.

We might see them in cutscenes and I'm sure Geralt will remove said cloak before we get full control of him. I would've loved for cloaks to be party of the game though.

If you remember, in Killing monsters trailer, he wears a cloak and the swords are here:
View attachment 12936
So why not? And when must fight, cloak out

Attachments

• the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_geralt_and_his_two_swords_2_26911.jpg
    the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_geralt_and_his_two_swords_2_26911.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 118
I was hoping for at least some hoods. Cloaks and horse riding would be tough to do with no clipping I think.
I'm surprised hoods seem to be gone since TW2 had a lot of them (a bit too many, even). Maybe they thought it wasn't 'witchery' enough.

Last edited:
If you remember, in Killing monsters trailer, he wears a cloak and the swords are here:
View attachment 12936

Yes, right

So why not? And when must fight, cloak out

I don't remember who from CDPR team guy explain that, but he said that they also found cool this idea of get out the cloak but they discarded it: too much work and time and not at all practical in indoors... Weere do Geralt get his two swords? Sapkowski's Geralt and CDPR's Geralt carrys his swords in his back. Well, lore says Geralt carrys his steel sword on back and the silver one is carefully packed. But he is the dangerous mutant with the unusual sword in his back

Last edited:
The only big problem i see with cloaks is them spazing out after a combat roll.
I wouldn't mind have a slightly bigger side-step with the removal of roll when wearing a cloak.
Or whatever, i just want cloaks.

Top Bottom