Valve offering paid mods

+
Well it's not like they didn't take similar actions when people complained that Steam "family sharing" isn't what it appeared to be. For those who aren't aware, Steam family sharing allows you to play games on a freinds Steam account so long your friends account is offline. Basically it's useless. It's the same thing as telling friend your account password. When people complained that this wasn't what Valve initially promised Valve deleted the threads.

normally, no. he should be able to release it on whatever platform he wants, and there hasn't been any sort of official release stating that all mods should be exclusive to the steamworkshops.
This is far from normal :D
But I hope you are right...
(but i can definitly see it happen in the future)
Absolutely. This looks like long-term plan, for Fallout 4 and TES6...

Jesus christ Valve....

Has Gabe lost his marbles? This is going to kill their reputation.

Valve has already done a lot to damage their reputation, for example their complete lack of quality control on steam, refusing to work on singleplayer only games since then they can't profit off of microtransaction sales etc

The valve from 1998-2011 is long gone, with current valve being only a shell of it's former self.

Unfortunately, nobody will care about that in a month when Fallout 4 will be announced.

I'm guessing that's why they did this in the first place. E3 announcement of Fallout 4. Steamworks mods only, for a modest fee. Getting the shitstorm blown over so players will forget and it wont' affect the pre-orders.

If Fallout 4 supports paid mods then I expect it will get downvoted into oblivion before it even comes out. It will be like the Diablo 3 always-online, real-money-auction-house situation all over again. The ironic thing is Cybperpunk 2077 will come out looking like heroes. They're playing into CD Projekt REDs court.

Indeed, all of this seems to play right into CDPRs hand (gog, drm, future games...). Provided of course that they condemn this exploitation of modders and refuse to take part in it. I trust them not to do it but then again I've just seen Bethesda shoot the hand that fed them. Never thought that would be possible either.

Really? Valve is not ready to face the challenge of TW3? It has rested on its laurels and the only way they have to avoid losses is to make pay even more to your customers? This sounds like tantrum for loss of monopoly ....

If Fallout 4 supports paid mods then I expect it will get downvoted into oblivion before it even comes out. It will be like the Diablo 3 always-online, real-money-auction-house situation all over again. The ironic thing is Cybperpunk 2077 will come out looking like heroes. They're playing into CD Projekt REDs court.

I can see Iwinski licking his chops right now and coming up with a way to capitalize.

Holy crap. Never in my life did I expect Valve to fall this low.

We've.. we've created a monster..

Actually Steam/Valve has been a monster from day one.
Steam is a necessary evil and if it wasn't for a handful of games that are "steam only" I wouldn't have it installed on my computer. They too me are nothing more than a glorified digital game rental service with horrible customer service.
I am an old school gamer and for my 50$ I want something physical I can put my hands on, box, disks , manuals, maps, etc. For them to sale nothing more than a serial key for the same price is highway robbery.
For example when a physical copy is produced there are many factors that come into play here....the manufacturing/printing of said materials}box, disks, manuals, etc] as well as shipping said product to stores worldwide. None of these costs are involved with a game on Steam, they generate serial keys by the thousands and sell them for the same price {49.99-59.99}and that extra profit goes into the developer/publisher/valves pocket and none of the cost saving is passed on to you and I , Joe Consumer.
This is nothing more than about greed and control and once the consumer gets accustomed to this{remember 2004/05 when Steam was started and uproar that ensued} expect to see more of your rights as a pc gamer taken away bit by bit.

The best way to capitalise would be to get REDKit available for modders as quickly as possible. :)
Very true. Start earning a positive reputation now so that you're already ahead when Cyberpunk 2077 comes out.

---------- Updated at 02:33 PM ----------

Really? Valve is not ready to face the challenge of TW3? It has rested on its laurels and the only way they have to avoid losses is to make pay even more to your customers? This sounds like tantrum for loss of monopoly ....
GOG.com isn't going to knock Valve over that quickly. According to some statistic I read a long time ago GOG.com is only responsible for 13% of digital game sales, whereas Steam is responsible for something like 80%.

Steam and G.O.G are not the only which give both of them benefits... If TW3 really is waht we expect Dev and publisher companies will need to make a washup of their mind about what costumer want from now on. And statistic is made of numbers, market is made of feelings.

Steam and G.O.G are not the only which give both of them benefits... If TW3 really is waht we expect Dev and publisher companies will need to make a washup of their mind about what costumer want from now on. And statistic is made of numbers, market is made of feelings.

Lets say modding with REDkit really takes off, what control does CDPR have over this? Could they deny Steam the sale of their own mods?

@thehotsung8701 Isn't UBI$OFT an european studio? ;) Being a money grabbing company without any concern for gamers is not associated with a continent or country of it's origins. Also buying a game not for it's value but in spite of other publishing studio/developer is imho not very mature.

Since the beginning i've treated steam as alien pod that sooner or later wil spawn a greedy monster. All the childish "achievements" bullshit, always online, drm, fuck-up with greenlight, double moral standards.... Another pointless application running in the background wasting my old cpu's power and doing god knows what. Installing games into folders that i don't wan't to, patching constantly without my consent, troubles with modding... Uninstalled this crapware after couple of hours. I so much prefer physical games - just as i prefer hard money instead of virtual one - binary code on some server of some private or national bank. I truly don't know why anyone would use it in the first place....

I would buy the Witcher 3 sooner or later as it one of my most if not most anticipated game of 2015. I was just waiting for amazon and user review before I buy it as I rarely ever buy day 1 purchase. I did it with Guild Wars 2, big big mistake.

@wichat.571 Even if The Witcher 3 is everything we think it will be, it still won't change the market overnight. It will take years. Which is why I think Cyberpunk 2077 will be more relevant to this issue than The Witcher 3. Especially since it directly competes with Fallout 4.

Top Bottom