The Witcher 3 Modding

+
I gave it some thought and came to an conclusion, that you would be probably alright even using the default W3 assets and only remake things that don't have fitting substitutes.

On topic of body/cosmetics mods, I hold a conviction that Wild Hunt is going to have some of the most beautiful and well done women in a video game ever and I don't expect modders to push this aspect that much further without creating some uncanny valley fetish fuel most people wont willingly put in their game.

It would be kinda funny if CDPR jumped on this train while they provide small DLC for free which in a way we can compare to class A modifications/additions.
I think it's safe to say CDPR won't join in on this deal with Valve, but i have been wrong before, lol
I would still like W3 to have Workshop support though, unless an alternative easy way of adding mods is given.
The Nexus already hosts TW2 mods....

The biggest problem to face (imo) with mod creation taking off, for a particular game, is compatibility. (and I'm speaking of instances when it's 'officially' supported here, and tools provided). Other than the type of said game, and the quality of tools, etc.

The Witcher 2's REDKit came out quite a bit after the games' release, of course. But, I don't think that was really the deciding factor as to why mods didn't really take off for it. It was compatibility. Quite a lot of changes made, were modifying the same scripts (player.ws, movable.ws, combat.ws, etc), and it made for a compatibility nightmare lol.

I personally made quite a lot of mods for The Witcher 2, but I never released them to the public (other than a simple one that I did the day I first downloaded REDKit. A really early 0.01 alpha version which simply altered the camera distance),

This was because, I had to consolidate all of my modifications(and there were quite a lot by the time it was finished) into one 'uber' mod, to make it work effectively.

There was unfortunately no feasible way to have muliple mods(excluding texture only ones, ofc), unless by pure chance they were all completely avoiding the same scripts lol.

I wonder if the guys have overcome this problem, this time around. It's easier said than done, though of course.

I'd add another factor as to why there weren't more TW2 mods: asset quality. Kind of hard for your average modder to improve on the default CDPR assets.

The Nexus already hosts TW2 mods....

If you had read just a bit further after that post you would see that i already that.
Tool wise the Workshop is superior and easier to use, but i don't want just one way of installing mods, more alternatives are always nice.

Jumping into this thread quite late and not able to read all of it, but I would like to add that it would really help if the Redkit were made available sooner rather than later. I know the focus is totally on the release but I can tell you that the key period for building up a modding community around a game is the first few weeks and months. Now I believe Witcher 3 has a little longer window than most games because from what we have heard it will be a long game. But I really hope CDPR can get something out to us by summer. Obviously it is still possible afterwards, but it takes longer as you lose that 'new game' hype.

Although even without the Redkit I am looking forward to seeing this game with an ENB (assuming it happens).

Last edited:
Jumping into this thread quite late and not able to read all of it, but I would like to add that it would really help if the Redkit were made available sooner rather than later

Welcome to the forums Gopher, your Witcher 3 coverage has so far been excellent!

And I couldn't agree more, the sooner the Redkit becomes available the better.

Welcome to The Witcher Forums, @GopherGaming !

Amazing video coverage, btw

I also agree with you. Per Skyrim example, an early modkit (or REDKIT, in CD RED case) can help build the modding momento, increase the community and strenght the sales.

I think that the famous Weight mods from W2 will be the first mods to come out. Maybe even without the redkit, as in W2 it was a simple pref alteration

Ah, have some mod ideas I just need to get out.

1. better blood effects-make it liquidy, puddling. Punches should not draw explosions of blood either.
  2. SweetFX-sharpening, saturation fix, darker more medieval colors
  3. Camera Angle customization mod
  4. Remove slow motion horseback combat
  5. High quality vegetation mod.

3) Wild Hunt will be shipped with modding tools and the team is especially looking forward to story mods made by the community. The quest designer in the interview was a modder too before he entered the business... he also remarked the the first mod that will probably come out will be a nude mod.

From here:

@warbaby2 translated. Are you sure that's what is said?

Jumping into this thread quite late and not able to read all of it, but I would like to add that it would really help if the Redkit were made available sooner rather than later. I know the focus is totally on the release but I can tell you that the key period for building up a modding community around a game is the first few weeks and months. Now I believe Witcher 3 has a little longer window than most games because from what we have heard it will be a long game. But I really hope CDPR can get something out to us by summer. Obviously it is still possible afterwards, but it takes longer as you lose that 'new game' hype.

Although even without the Redkit I am looking forward to seeing this game with an ENB (assuming it happens).

I agree.
And thank you for your preview of The Witcher 3, it was amazing.

Gopher..I could not agree with you more. TIMING is critical if this game is to catch fire with the modding community.

Did anybody else read this with Gopher's voice in their head? =D

I agree Gopher, would be fantastic if they can get the Redkit out very soon.

Also loved your preview videos, thank you for doing those. I am jelly that you go to go to Poland and had the fun you had, and i don't even mean the game time you did.

depends on the community and the game length and quality. and how approachable to modding it is. but generally, i'd say timing is a non factor in modding. especially considering the fact that many of the most modded games today did not have official tools of any kind, and it took the community to develop these tools many months, even a year after release.

people aren't going to not want to mod a game that is accessible to modding, simply because the tools didn't come out in a set amount of time after release. needless to say, what kind of mods are we to expect from someone who no longer holds interest in the game after just a couple of months?

the only thing that kills modding from experience are poorly documented tools that are difficult to use. i hope they minimize the chances of this happening by taking the time to get the tools right.

There is a synergy between game players and modders. That synergy. .......that interaction will be stronger and last longer if modders have tools sooner rather than later.. The sizzle that helps drive sales can last well past launch with the help of modders

always be careful with mods........you never know what monsters you could create....

Top Bottom