The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - PC System Requirements are here!

+
I've read that the GeForce GTX 970 4GB actually is 3.5GB and some users have said the remaining half gigabyte runs 80 percent slower than it's supposed to. That can cause images to stutter on a high resolution screen and some games to perform poorly..

Is this something to worry about? I would imagine The Witcher 3 would want to use the whole 4GB if you want that extra good graphics?

Sometimes the Internet confuses me. But I google and this was said in February or something.

it's true, i have a gtx 970 and always when the vram usage surpasses the 3,4 or 3,5 or 3,6 the game stutters and freezes, the fps drops like hell
so all game settings must be set up to use less than 3,5 gb even when reaching 3 gb usage the fps drops from 60 (or more) to 40, 30, 20

if tw3 need full 4gb to maximum settings or something, you'll have t set settings on medium , msaa must be deactivated, it also depends which resolution you use

but if the recommended gpu has 2 gb vram, i don't see why the game requires 4 gb

Last edited:
Steam does not say how much VRAM is for The Witcher 3, someone knows how much?

The thing that worries me is the RAM that serves at least 6 GB RAM, I've only 4 GB RAM ...

Steam does not say how much VRAM is for The Witcher 3, someone knows how much?

The thing that worries me is the RAM that serves at least 6 GB RAM, I've only 4 GB RAM ...

Well its easy to guess. The Minimum Card the GTX 660 has 2gb the Recommended Card the GTX 770 has also 2gb.

So i highly doubt it will be that bad... as long as you dont need 4k or something like that^^

Usually the Versions mentioned in Requierements are the stock models... so that would be 2gb for the GTX 770 because the normal Version has 2gb

Thats of course just my guess but it has been that way the 20 years im gaming now.. so why would it be different for TW3

My computer has a GTX 970, and am not sure if I will go SLI.

Is there a way to offload anything from the GPU to the CPU, such as PhysX to increase framerate while on Ultra?

My CPU is certainly not the bottleneck.

My computer has a GTX 970, and am not sure if I will go SLI.

Is there a way to offload anything from the GPU to the CPU, such as PhysX to increase framerate while on Ultra?

My CPU is certainly not the bottleneck.

At what resolution do you want to play at? If its not 4k a single 970 will be more than enough for Ultra.
And you would never want to let the CPU do PhysX your GPU is MUCH better at it.

At what resolution do you want to play at? If its not 4k a single 970 will be more than enough for Ultra.
And you would never want to let the CPU do PhysX your GPU is MUCH better at it.

2560x1080 if supported, 1080p if 21:9 is not. When you say the GPU is better...how much better? Would the offloading actually improve performance or hurt it?

EDIT: Using Windows 8.1, if it changes anything.

I wonder how HairWorks work with the MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB.
When I played Tomb Raider (which was awesome) .. I tried to use the TressFX.
And it just ruined the performance on my GeForce GTX 880M 4GB.
Two different cards, but still this effect was on Lara and in the Witcher 3, the HairWorks apply to monsters, people, you.
Just curious how the performance will be if you have HairWorks on with high settings on everything else in 1920x1080.
But we will see, I guess.

Hairworks and HBAo+ has really low performance impact on a high end card like the 970 or 980.
Also as i know physx is a multithreaded engine and takes advantage of hardware acceleration in paralell enviroments like gpus so you never want to run physx on your cpu.

Cool!

But I came to think of something else, about different types of hard drive.. does it have any effect on the performance when you are playing the game?

Got a lenovo laptop.
Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ (2.4GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT755M 2GB x2 in SLI
16gb of Ram
this should be able to run it right? Since i already have it preordered lol.

I dont mind running it low/med something. Witcher is about the RPG and the game itself for me the story etc. Not the graphics.

Intel Core i5-4670K with a EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB superclocked

Im at 1440p. If I want to be at around 40fps what settings do you guys think I will be getting? High, medium, or a Medium/high mix?

I have a problem.

I installed Windows 8.1 on my new PC and in the process I split the hard drive 50\50.
But for some reason only one of the 50% part shows now, the one with Windows 8.1 on, right.
What can I do to fix this? I hope I don't have to start over again.

PS: I'm ready now!

@GuyNwah, you was so right. I was very lucky to fit MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB OC in because there was some extra width added with the power cables on the side of it that I did not think of, anyways.. it worked out! Right on the millimeter.

Attachments

• 20150427_203555.jpg
    20150427_203555.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Check disk management. You'll need to format the unused portion of the disk. After that it shows in Windows Explorer as a new drive.

EDIT: If I misunderstood your question, please be careful. Don't wan't you to lose any data!!! So don't format if you used the other half of the drive to backup your data!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom