Witcher senses and your opinion, possible down(up)grade of them

+
yes for sounds it's a really good idea...
like for exemple,you are hearing wolves,then you enable your witcher sense to find where it is,and instead of seing circles pointing to a direction,you increase/decrease the sound depending on the direction of the animal...
Yeah, that's how I imagined the 'enhanced hearing' they've been mentioning with witcher senses. But apparenly, it's just bloody circles leading you to the monster's (or whatever's) face.

I've really lowered my expectations regarding WS, so I can only be pleasantly surprised - or not at all.

Last edited:
Confirmation whether this silly 'environmental highlighting' business is still in or not would be greatly appreciated.

---------- Updated at 05:05 PM ----------

To clarify: I'm not talking about the highlighting of lootable or otherwise interactable objects but actual parts of the environment like, I don't know, a fence or a brick wall Geralt can jump over or ledges Geralt can pull himself up on, like pictured above.

Thanks.

I haven't noticed anything like that. However, it still all appears very optional in any case. The little bits of quests I've seen today you can always see footprints, blood smears, debris, ect without activating the Witcher senses.

You had item highlighting in Witcher 2 as well. I personally didn't mind it then and I likely won't mind it now.

Still not necessary. It detracts from the immersion and increases the level of gameyness imo. The same is true for plants/herbs.

You can turn of many things on the HUD. But obviously we won't be able to turn off dynamic stuff like those color markings or information/names above objects, animals and NPCs. Too bad. :(

I hope mods will deal with that pretty soon.

Gopher showed the customization sliders in his video. I missed one for stuff like that, or at least I think so...

those were specifically UI/text based customizations as far as I remember, but I still doubt we will be able to fine-tune the witcher senses.

and for your previous point, every part of the witcher senses adds "gamyness". all it does is adds a red/yellow halo to objects/clues. if you don't like it, you probably won't have to use it too much, but I don't see how turning any part of it off would help.

those were specifically UI/text based customizations as far as I remember, but I still doubt we will be able to fine-tune the witcher senses.

and for your previous point, every part of the witcher senses adds "gamyness". all it does is adds a red/yellow halo to objects/clues. if you don't like it, you probably won't have to use it too much, but I don't see how turning any part of it off would help.

Yeah, exactly. The solution to not having things highlighted is to just not use the Witcher senses. The whole point of it is to point out interactive objects in the environment, which as the Witcher medallion/alt key in the previous games.

Other than the system/gameplay aspects of the senses, which are hopefully optional to use, or at least not 'required' (which I think they're not). I really think that radial blur, just detracts from the usage of it. Seems tacked on, imo. It's going to be nausia inducing looking around with it.

Well, I'll be modding that out at the first opportunity. : p (#edit: if I find myelf using the senses, that is)

---
I've gotten super critical about random things in games as I've gotten older, and the fact that this is the only real thing I thought looked annoying about the game, from what we've seen so far, says a lot for me. Looks bloody excellent.

Last edited:
I haven't noticed anything like that. However, it still all appears very optional in any case.
Cheers, I hope it's gone for good then.

I don't mind highlighting in general (chests, doors, shrubberies, etc) since this was already the case in The Witcher 2 (and thus part of the lore, so to speak) but emphasizing terrain or parts of terrain in such an obnoxious and 'Hey dummy, it's THIS way'-kind of manner is a bit too much hand-holding.

The little bits of quests I've seen today you can always see footprints, blood smears, debris, ect without activating the Witcher senses.
This I like.

You probably won't get around using them at least for tracing sound clues or scent trails though. Or was there any instance Geralt would pick those up without the Senses, maybe commenting on the direction the sound or scent is coming from?

And I guess it's official now:

The iconic wolf medallion actually has been reduced to a mere accessory gimmick serving no purpose whatsoever.
Thanks, RED.

Cheers, I hope it's gone for good then.

I don't mind highlighting in general (chests, doors, shrubberies, etc) since this was already the case in The Witcher 2 (and thus part of the lore, so to speak) but emphasizing terrain or parts of terrain in such an obnoxious and 'Hey dummy, it's THIS way'-kind of manner is a bit too much hand-holding.

This I like.

You probably won't get around using them at least for tracing sound clues or scent trails though. Or was there any instance Geralt would pick those up without the Senses, maybe commenting on the direction the sound or scent is coming from?

Well, I'm not saying its not there, just that I havent see it in recent footage lol

And I guess it's official now:

The iconic wolf medallion actually has been reduced to a mere accessory gimmick serving no purpose whatsoever.
Thanks, RED.

Well, if you are using a controller "the wolf medallion causes the controller to vibrate". Dunno if there is anything equal to that for keyboard. In fact, I'm pretty sure I saw a HUD option to specifically turn off the medallion icon in the top left.

Top Bottom