The Witcher 3 - PC, Xbox One or PS4?

+

The Witcher 3 - PC, Xbox One or PS4?

• Total voters
I'm going to persist with a sensible non-flaming dialogue, because I think the point is an interesting one.

People typically don't have multiple platforms running the same game, set up side-by-side to actually compare the graphics, so we rely on resolution comparison videos and technical specifications about how many 'p' something has. You are quite correct that XB1 has the weakest resolution, but when I personally look at comparison videos, that weakness, to my eyes is indistinguishable. I can see the difference vs an Xbox 360. I was certainly not arguing that the game is not of a visually marginal higher resolution on PC/PS4, but that does not mean it does not look gorgeous on an XB1. It's a bit like the 4k discussion, if my eyesight can't discern a difference is it just a marketing difference? My car has a top speed of 90mph, yours has 108mph, but we both drive on public roads.

Oh, and KB/M v Controller is probably just what people are used to. Clearly PC gives more interface options (more keys) but if the game is standardised then no issue. I don't like timed exclusives either. I find them unhelpful and divisive.

Well I will not go into further argument on this because the mod has warned me however I just want to say that there is nothing wrong in comparisons as long as we are mentioning genuine advantages and disadvantages of platforms but once we start to mention our personal preferences as advantages or disadvantages then problems start. Anyway it's all cool man, I respect your choice and I hope you respect mine as well :)

There's nothing wrong with saying which YOU prefer, the problems start when people say that others are wrong to prefer something different.

That's exactly what I am saying, it's okay to say this is "my" preference and that's what most of the posters are doing here, they are citing their reasons for picking the game for platform X or Y but when they start to use their choice in a comparative way then it force others to do the same.

Yes, poll.
But it would be interesting to see pre order numbers PC/ps4/xbox. Bet consoles would win.

According to vgchartz pre orders in the USA look like this:

PS4: 143,643
Xbox One: 82,727
PC: 71,416

I've it pre ordered on pc but I'm tempted to get it for the PS4 instead, I prefer the PS4 controller and I thought the PC controls for the Witcher 2 weren't great.

Last edited:

I've it pre ordered on pc but I'm tempted to get it for the PS4 instead, I prefer the PS4 controller and I thought the PC controls for the Witcher 2 weren't great.

I was about to buy ps4 for witcher 3 to play on 50 inch TV, however I would have to deal with my wife ..... :) so I have chosen PC upgrade.

PS4 Despite being a PC gamer going back to the times of the earliest IBM 8088 processors with CGA screens (4 colors) I got sick of upgrading to keep up with the latest processors and video cards, memory, PSU's etc etc so I went out and bought a PS3 and now a PS4 and haven't looked back since! I still game on my PC but its 4 year old gaming laptop so the latest games in anything but 1080p are out of the question and certainly not W3. Besides, I have become accustomed to lounging on the Lounge with Surround Sound and my 60 inch Sony Bravia TV. BTW I played W1 and 2 on PC and my PC struggled to play W2! Can't wait for release, under a month now!

Well I will not go into further argument on this because the mod has warned me however I just want to say that there is nothing wrong in comparisons as long as we are mentioning genuine advantages and disadvantages of platforms but once we start to mention our personal preferences as advantages or disadvantages then problems start. Anyway it's all cool man, I respect your choice and I hope you respect mine as well :)

Yes, I respect your position certainly, and I'm not particularly disputing 'facts of difference', merely their relative importance to different people.

I suspect personal preferences play a very large part in platform selection, else for reasons of technical specification, we would all make the same 'factual' choice.
PC/PS4 may have a genuine advantage in resolution. Personally I don't discern it, though you may.

Thank you for the calm discussion, my initial interest in asking was in part to understand whether folk perceive a significant graphical difference between the platforms or whether their desire for the 'best' experience informs their choice? Thanks.

Yes, I respect your position certainly, and I'm not particularly disputing 'facts of difference', merely their relative importance to different people.

I suspect personal preferences play a very large part in platform selection, else for reasons of technical specification, we would all make the same 'factual' choice.
PC/PS4 may have a genuine advantage in resolution. Personally I don't discern it, though you may.

Thank you for the calm discussion, my initial interest in asking was in part to understand whether folk perceive a significant graphical difference between the platforms or whether their desire for the 'best' experience informs their choice? Thanks.

I totally agree with you that preference plays a major role in deciding your platform of choice. As for the resolution, I now rarely watch those resolution comparison videos between XB1/PS4/PC because they often lead to pointless arguments where we all waste our time, in the end we all know that 4k will provide a superior experience at the hefty price of buying powerful hardware to run it, it's also a fact that currently there is no single graphic card that can do 4k easily with demanding games on highest presets at 60 fps, so what you truly need is a high end SLI/Crossfire setup and then you can run into issues of SLI/Crossfire profiles not working as desired, graphical glitches etc so it's like a tradeoff and only your preference will determine the choice however on PC 4k is becoming a new standard very quickly and soon there will be single graphic cards powerful enough to drive that resolution easily (Titan X being one example).

I am personally satisfied with 1080p or 1440p, my preference lies with features like smooth 60 fps game play, the customization of KB&M, the power to drive demanding graphics (like TW3's ultra preset) and features like higher Anti aliasing, HairWorks, PhysX, HBAO+ etc they all sound very exciting to me and that is why I have a rather strange combination of 2x GTX 980 in SLI with a simple 1080p LED, people say I am wasting the power of my graphic cards and I kind of agree with them but do nothing about it :)

So in the end it again comes down to your preference, even after the fact that I am a PC gamer I am happy with a resolution like 1080p which is just minimum for most PC gamers now.

Thank you for calm discussion from your side as well.

Last edited:

VGchartz only tracks retail by the way, and not digital. And by retail, I mean brick and mortar stores. I'm pretty sure they don't even report sales from e-businesses like Amazon.

You can use a PS4 controller in Windows.. Windows doesn't support it natively, but I've seen people do it. Windows just treats the controller as a USB device.

Last edited:
PS4 here. I would love to play on PC but knowing me, I'll want to run everything on Ultra so that would be a big investment at the moment.

Xbox for me. I always have been a console player. In my Country (Argentina) is almost imposible to get a good rig whitout spending a fortune. Just to tell the Xbox One or PS4 are luxuary items for most Argentinians. So i Guess Im A Very Lucky Person.

PC of course, with just one simple reason, I don't have an Xbox or PS4. But I like the fact that you can change the components in your PC to make the game look better.

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this in but a guy from reddit tweeted CDPR for a ps4 gameplay confirmation. and CDPR responded with "Console assets are still being worked on, hope to have them before launch".

This may be a stupid question but I am confused as to what they mean by console asset that are still being worked on? Is it the trailer/footage they are talking about.. or is the console version of the game still not finalized?

http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/344d6p/i_tweeted_witchergame_re_any_incoming_ps4_footage/

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this in but a guy from reddit tweeted CDPR for a ps4 gameplay confirmation. and CDPR responded with "Console assets are still being worked on, hope to have them before launch".

This may be a stupid question but I am confused as to what they mean by console asset that are still being worked on? Is it the trailer/footage they are talking about.. or is the console version of the game still not finalized?

http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/344d6p/i_tweeted_witchergame_re_any_incoming_ps4_footage/
Pretty sure they meant media assets like screenshots/videos/trailers and not game assets.

PC here.
never owned a console in my life.

I think this pole favors the PC version because ppl on forums are ppl who spend a lot of time next to their PCs, and most of them, if they game, are PC gamers. console gamers, are less pc oriented and spend less time on their PCs. if they loved the PC so much or if they felt so comfortable around it than they might have gamed on it.

PC gamers are just around their PC more often than console gamers so its more likely they will go into forums like this one and take the poll.

its a generalization, but that's my assumption.

PC here.
never owned a console in my life.

I think this pole favors the PC version because ppl on forums are ppl who spend a lot of time next to their PCs, and most of them, if they game, are PC gamers. console gamers, are less pc oriented and spend less time on their PCs. if they loved the PC so much or if they felt so comfortable around it than they might have gamed on it.

PC gamers are just around their PC more often than console gamers so its more likely they will go into forums like this one and take the poll.

its a generalization, but that's my assumption.
I wouldn't call it a stretch to say Witcher series has more PC gaming fans than console gaming fans in general.

Not sure, I do own a PS4 & an Alienware 17 notebook ...
I do habe an i7, 8 GB Ram and a 880GXT with 8GB graphical ram, but not sure if this is enough for 900p (display only supports up to 900p) + high settings on 30 FPS.
Normally not but maybe the fact that the display only is up to 900p gonna grant me some performance boost.

Any suggestions ? Opinions of people with more dedicated techno insight are really welcome ;) Do you think it's gonna look/run better on my notebook or PS4 ?

Top Bottom