Monsters in The Witcher 3

+
I wonder if these two fellows are the same species. I kinda like both designs (although the old one is more believable I think - if you could say that about a fantasy creature at all) so it would be nice to know whether the one in the latest trailer is just the final iteration of the Fiend or there will be sub-species in the game. Or maybe one of them is a male and the other is a female?

View attachment 12375
View attachment 12376

Attachments

• EZKELLL.jpg
    EZKELLL.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 75
  • MEGEZIS.jpg
    MEGEZIS.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Well, we definitely know that there will be different sub-species for the monsters. Dunno if they've redesigned the Fiend completely or if this is just a variation, though.

Well, we definitely know that there will be different sub-species for the monsters. Dunno if they've redesigned the Fiend completely or if this is just a variation, though.
Hm, I can't remember such information, but TW2 had different looking drowners so it's very much possible in TW3. I kinda hope it's a variation because the more I look at them the more I like the old one better (not that the new one is bad).

Hm, I can't remember such information, but TW2 had different looking drowners so it's very much possible in TW3. I kinda hope it's a variation because the more I look at them the more I like the old one better (not that the new is bad).

Well maybe not sub-species. But we do know monsters will have multiple variations, I think the griffin was given as an example a while ago. Will try to dig up the source.

Hm, I can't remember such information, but TW2 had different looking drowners so it's very much possible in TW3. I kinda hope it's a variation because the more I look at them the more I like the old one better (not that the new is bad).

Yeah, like Kinley said, some monsters will have several types - the Eckhidna we saw in the January gameplay, for example, is supposed to be a variation on the Siren that we saw back in 2013. The Royal Wyvern is also technically a variation of the Wyvern etc.

Last edited:
Interesting, are all noonwraiths to have their jaws broken and hanging down or not?

View attachment 13050

Imo, that's one downside to having really unique looking NPCs, and/or in this case monsters. Whenever there's any repetition, it's very noticable. But ofc, it can't be avoided, realistically.

I find Noonwraiths from TW1 more terrifying because they look like they were actual humans once. These new ones with those grotesque tonques and jaws are just goofy.

I agree somewhat. I think it was probably the eyes as well. Their eyes in TW1 were super creepy looking, and the way they just wondered about lol. They went a bit ghoulish in this one. But, they do look really impressive all the same. Just a bit less creepy.

Last edited:
Yeah, one of the appeals of the noonwraiths I found was noticing someone was walking around in the field, and they walked kind of strangely, and then as you approach thinking to talk with them, they start floating... *shudder*

but I have to say, these news ones are still a pretty awesome interpretation. I enjoyed the combat requirements especially.

I find Noonwraiths from TW1 more terrifying because they look like they were actual humans once. These new ones with those grotesque tonques and jaws are just goofy.

I wouldn't refuse another DLC. :lol:;)
View attachment 13092

Seriously, I don't understand why second kind of Noonwraiths wasn't made as it happened to Ghouls. It could have had appearance from The Witcher 1.

Attachments

• 14302205346780.jpg
    14302205346780.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 72
When I first read details about monsters in TW3, it was in the context of a game preview (probably in the german gamestar). It was about the unique monsters and how every one of them needed to be tracked down and had certain strengths and weaknesses. Also, I got the impression that a certain amount of those monsters were one-of-a-kind, like the kayran was in TW2, and were somehow connected to main/side-quests. The monster featured in that preview was the leshen, described as a spirit of the woods haunting a village somewhere in the game world. I really liked that concept because it seemed more dynamic than in TW2 and also gave the monsters specific backstories and personalities, if you will. It is also so much more mystical, you know, there is a difference between hunting for some sea monster you can find in every lake around the corner or hunting for the monster of Loch Ness.

Now we have seen the leshen in at least two different locations (woods in one of the very first trailers and second location in the latest steel and rage trailer), we saw several wyverns and giants (or trolls?) closely together in the gameplay trailer and the monsters trailer featured a red fiend. So I assume none of these monsters is really “unique” and you can just happen to run into one of them if you’re lucky. While it makes the world more believable if many different creatures freely roam the world within their natural environments, it also kills the mystery those special monsters were supposed to arise. I mean, if you’ve slain like ten leshen every here and there before you do the leshen-specific side quest, you won’t be that surprised or interested in it anymore because it’s just another stupid leshen. Same goes for the devil in the well. If I wouldn’t know otherwise, I’d expect the devil to be a really unique monster (I like the design, by the way). I’d be a little disappointed though when I travel the open world and discover those noonwraiths are pretty much everywhere and always look the same. I think it would be awesome if at least 10-20 of the 80 monsters were really unique and tied to side quests and stories and you could only find them if you gather information and actively track them down (which shouldn’t be as easy as in the devil in the well contract, which was in prologue-area). If not, I hope the quest-related monsters are special to some extent, like bigger or more powerful than their basic counterparts. Again, from the first announcement of TW3’s monster mechanic I was looking forward to that aspect of tracking and hunting rare mystical creatures and I just hope this is implemented the way I imagined.

Definitely not a cockatrice, they have a very large and clear beak, not those teeth. It's probably a Dermopteran or a Dracolizard. .. or a red drake if it acctualy turns out to be a dragon.

Last edited:
Trolls-in the Witcher 3

What du you think? Will there be Trolls in the witcher 3? I loved them in the previous one. And if, how will you be able to interact whith them.

Top Bottom