Activated Skills Tree

+
Having the ability to master everything might be considered a little op. You, the player, will have to pick carefully what abilities best suits your play style.

What happened to equipping and using different abilities for fights?

I remember reading articles stating you'll level learning abilities and equip different abilities to fight different opponents. This was long ago I read this in articles like three or four months back. It stated you would have a limited selection and would have to carefully choose which abilities to equip. However, I still have not seen any footage of this ability system in a trailer or gameplay video. Where is this feature and why has it still not been shown? It's very weird such a interesting feature in the game hasn't been shown in any gameplay or trailer videos. Was this feature removed from the game at the last minute?

I remember reading articles stating you'll level learning abilities and equip different abilities to fight different opponents. This was long ago I read this in articles like three or four months back. It stated you would have a limited selection and would have to carefully choose which abilities to equip. However, I still have not seen any footage of this ability system in a trailer or gameplay video. Where is this feature and why has it still not been shown? It's very weird such a interesting feature in the game hasn't been shown in any gameplay or trailer videos. Was this feature removed from the game at the last minute?

Heres a picture of it along with an explanation: http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/31qebj/explanation_of_skill_system_in_witcher_3/
I haven't seen it in any video though.
I assume it is not cut seeing as the reddit post isn't even two weeks old yet.

Last edited:
I think it's a pretty good system to have. The 12 abilities that you can have active at any time might not seem much but if it's done well it might be a good thing, meaning you need to make good decisions depending what situation you're in.

If you want to be full swordsman for example, i am pretty sure that you'll be able to have most sword skills in there but you wont be able to have much/any of the other trees. Of course this is speculation but it seems logical to be able to have most/all skills from a single tree if you wanted.

The Witcher 3 Skill System

All righty, fellas. Thanks to our dear YouTubers, we now have a lots of new stuff to discuss, among them the TW3 skill tree.

This what it looks like.

And this is how it works.

We have four categories of skill: sword fighting, signs, alchemy and utilities. Similar to TW2, but this is where it gets different. As you can, no doubt, see the skills are arranged in rows and bays. To unlock the second bay you have to spend some points in the first. Each skill has multiple tiers, EXCEPT for utilities where they only have one tier each.

You don't have access to all your skills at the same time, you have to pick them. At the lowest level, you can assign three. Then six. Then nine. And then, when you're high level, twelve.

That big, green rhombus is a mutagen. You unlock slots for mutagens just like you do with skills. Green colours means that the mutagen enhances alchemy.

YOU CAN RESPEC if you want to - there is an elixir for that. Reasoning for that is obvious, this a loooooong game and CDPR won't force you to start your game over after 10 hours if you pick some stuff you're not happy with.

Fun fact: sword fighting skill three includes skills enhancing crossbow :shrug:

Also, there is a Witcher bear school mentioned in one of the utilities skill descriptions, @Kinley - this is what happens when you pollute minds with your fanfiction.

Source

So, while we're waiting for some charitable polish-speaker to translate for us, a little speculation?

Obviously the 5 columns for magic will correspond tot he 5 signs. Here for the martial tree, I would bet from left to right: light strike, heavy strike, parry (the first one being parrying arrows), crossbow, and... group style?

The highlighted skill seems to deal with adrenaline. Gives you 0.04 adrenaline for each blow and increase your damage by 1% for each point of adrenaline you have?

Obviously the 5 columns for magic will correspond tot he 5 signs. Here for the martial tree, I would bet from left to right: light strike, heavy strike, parry (the first one being parrying arrows), crossbow, and... group style?

No group style unfortunately - it's called 'Trans bojowy', which can be translated to 'Combat trance'. The description says this: 'Each strike generates adrenaline. Every Adrenaline Point increases weapon damage by 10%'

All righty, fellas. Thanks to our dear YouTubers, we now have a lots of new stuff to discuss, among them the TW3 skill tree.

This what it looks like.

And this is how it works.

We have four categories of skill: sword fighting, signs, alchemy and utilities. Similar to TW2, but this is where it gets different. As you can, no doubt, see the skills are arranged in rows and bays. To unlock the second bay you have to spend some points in the first. Each skill has multiple tiers, EXCEPT for utilities where they only have one tier each.

You don't have access to all your skills at the same time, you have to pick them. At the lowest level, you can assign three. Then six. Then nine. And then, when you're high level, twelve.

That big, green rhombus is a mutagen. You unlock slots for mutagens just like you do with skills. Green colours means that the mutagen enhances alchemy.

YOU CAN RESPEC if you want to - there is an elixir for that. Reasoning for that is obvious, this a loooooong game and CDPR won't force you to start your game over after 10 hours if you pick some stuff you're not happy with.

Fun fact: sword fighting skill three includes skills enhancing crossbow :shrug:

Also, there is a Witcher bear school mentioned in one of the utilities skill descriptions, @Kinley - this is what happens when you pollute minds with your fanfiction.

Source

Thanks a lot for this man i was crazy after some info about skill trees, i just cant believe no english speakers or at least someone that played the game in english didnt even go into the skill tree page

Weird........

Well i hope that if no english footage endup appearing then someone can actually put some subtitles on this video

Last edited:
Anybody who is capable of polnish language, can give me a little insight to this question, would be really nice:

All of this skills seem to just improve some %, beeing not really active things to execute off or am I wrong ? Hopefully I am wrong ...
IGN stated that Geralts fighting animations change trough out the progression of the swordskills. Hopefully this is still true. W2 had just too much off a passive sword skill tree, imho.

No group style unfortunately - it's called 'Trans bojowy', which can be translated to 'Combat trance'. The description says this: 'Each strike generates adrenaline. Every Adrenaline Point increases weapon damage by 10%'

holy. shit.

Anybody who is capable of polnish language, can give me a little insight to this question, would be really nice:

All of this skills seem to just improve some %, beeing not really active things to execute off or am I wrong ? Hopefully I am wrong ...
IGN stated that Geralts fighting animations change trough out the progression of the swordskills. Hopefully this is still true. W2 had just too much off a passive sword skill tree, imho.

I can't give you any insight but given 20 skills in the "sword" tree only, it would be difficult to make all of them active skills (imagination-wise).

Definitely focusing on Swordsmanship. Will use basic signs occasionally, when necessary, but I need that vigor for all the glorious parrying I plan on doing.

Edit: I also wonder if this system will allow us to discuss various really effective builds, or if it wont matter much. With only 12 active skills at once I imagine it will.

Last edited:
I can't give you any insight but given 20 skills in the "sword" tree only, it would be difficult to make all of them active skills (imagination-wise).

Definitly there should be passive skills, even more than active ones. Reason being just the argument you mention. But it does look as there is (almost) no active ones.
This does bother me quite a bit ...
Damien was asked about this on some event in the past and stated that there gonna be more active ones, hopefully this still being true. Through such a long development time many things can actually change

I share the sentiment. I've been replaying TW2 lately, reached chapter 2, focused on swordsmanship. I have most of the first half of the tree invested in, and suddenly the next half just seems much less appealing to me (group finishers aren't my cup of tea since I actually like fighting with Geralt, and the swordsmanship special ability takes away more of my control). So I'm considering jumping into Signs and maybe a bit of alchemy, to find some new skills with more noticeable effect. Passive upgrades just aren't as interesting.

I think there's only so much active upgrades a developer can think of, so I won't be surprised if I go for a hybrid build in TW3 too. Unless most of the active upgrades are in the later stages of each tree.

I share the sentiment. I've been replaying TW2 lately, reached chapter 2, focused on swordsmanship. I have most of the first half of the tree invested in, and suddenly the next half just seems much less appealing to me (group finishers aren't my cup of tea since I actually like fighting with Geralt, and the swordsmanship special ability takes away more of my control). So I'm considering jumping into Signs and maybe a bit of alchemy, to find some new skills with more noticeable effect. Passive upgrades just aren't as interesting.

I think there's only so much active upgrades a developer can think of, so I won't be surprised if I go for a hybrid build in TW3 too. Unless most of the active upgrades are in the later stages of each tree.

<-- This.

Actually really hope that maybe even if a possibility grants passive advantages, there's maybe still change in Geralts animation or something like this. I mean 96 animations just for fighting ;) There simply does have to be some active sword skills

<-- This.

Actually really hope that maybe even if a possibility grants passive advantages, there's maybe still change in Geralts animation or something like this. I mean 96 animations just for fighting ;) There simply does have to be some active sword skills
Oh, yeah, that.

I'm shallow. Animations > active abilities > passive abilities. If I get more animations with swordsmanship, I'm maxing the hell out of that tree, build efficiency be damned.

Also, respec option is cool. I'll make a guess that this is one potion that doesn't auto-refill. :p

Definitely focusing on Swordsmanship. Will use basic signs occasionally, when necessary, but I need that vigor for all the glorious parrying I plan on doing.

Edit: I also wonder if this system will allow us to discuss various really effective builds, or if it wont matter much. With only 12 active skills at once I imagine it will.

I'll do both. now that resetting skills is confirmed, i will reset it depending on what I plan to do. Monster hunting would probably be more involved on magic and most likely can't parry them anyway while fighting humans would be for the sweet finishing moves.
Overall I really want my sword strikes to move faster and I think there's a skill for that. So far what I've seen from Geralt's swings on low levels feel a bit slow and disconnected.

Top Bottom