Witcher 3 News [LINKS & DISCUSSION]

+
This video from Melonie annoyed the hell out of me. All i could see for 15 mins was the ground around Geralt, she hardly looks up to her surroundings....

I need to play the game myself to calm down i think

Really we are completely different people, seeing as you can clearly not even comprehend what I mean. I'm not saying that the roles should be reversed, with Geralt being feather-tickled by that other dude's attacks and Geralt one-shotting him, but that it should be BALANCED! With Geralt dying in maybe 3-5 hits, and being able to kill the guy with at the very least less than the 50+ hits it would take judging by the damage Geralt was doing.

In my opinion progression should come down to the player's ability to use his skills most effectively, which YES this does mean I think we should have access to all, or at least MOST of Geralt's abilities from the beginning, there is no fun in slugging through the first 5-6 hours of a game with no options in combat. Progression should NOT be based solely on stats. With the current system Geralt will eventually be able to stand there like a "supa-human" when he outlevels enemies, we can see that in Angry Joe's video when he just one-shots some bandits, no challenge whatsoever.

I really don't know what you're complaining about, I really don't. Everything you say I agree with, everything. I hate it when RPGS are based largely on stats rather than player skill, yet what I saw from that video was the exact opposite of what you are saying, the exact opposite. The reason why Geralt died so quickly was because the person playing didn't play very well. I mean just look at it, we saw that Geralt can dodge, roll, block, parry and use all his signs. The person playing just didn't use every tool she had available which is why Geralt died so much.

This video from Melonie annoyed the hell out of me. All i could see for 15 mins was the ground around Geralt, she hardly looks up to her surroundings....

I need to play the game myself to calm down i think

You and me both :p
For the health and safety of me and others, I need a huge dose of Witcher directly injected into my system.

Just this, guys. Just this.

After all, every gamer has his/her own and uncopying way to play. So it's good don't be so unfair judging the game by the gamer mistakes. ;)

Last edited:
And Geralt is a legend with nearly a century of experience, super-human physical abilities, is widely regarded as the most skilled swordsman in the north, and is wearing armor that looks way more protective than what that dude was wearing.
But if you go by that logic, Geralt should automatically trounce nearly any human enemy, and that simply isn't fun in terms of gameplay. There needs to be a challenge. In Batman Arkham games you play as the Caped Crusader himself, and you can still get your arse handed to you by a random thug. It's the same deal here: it's up to you, the player, to do justice to Geralt's skills.

I really don't know what you're complaining about, I really don't. Everything you say I agree with, everything. I hate it when RPGS are based largely on stats rather than player skill, yet what I saw from that video was the exact opposite of what you are saying, the exact opposite. The reason why Geralt died so quickly was because the person playing didn't play very well. I mean just look at it, we saw that Geralt can dodge, roll, block, parry and use all his signs. The person playing just didn't use every tool she had available which is why Geralt died so much.

You are right that the player totally played like a complete idiot, but you can't tell me you didn't see that Geralt lost 1 third of his health from one hit, and when Geralt hit the other guy he barely lost a twentieth. Also like I mentioned earlier, Angry Joe's video showed the reverse happening when Geralt was high level, I hope that the game will manage to keep itself balanced if you move from event-clusters in a specific order indicated by the story, but I hate the idea of ruining the challenge for myself by being a completionist.

I kinda agree with @Percival_Dickenbutts.

While she deals with the lvl 9 guy in the end, she barely deals any damage to the lvl 12 lvl bear or guards later in the video. Not because of the lack of skill though. Numbers are just too low and the enemies already a shitton of health.

The stat scalling between the levels seems far too wild for my liking (though it may be caused by using shitty equipment, I think she still had lvl 1 sword on her, so that may be it - hard to decipher when the quality of the vid is shit and a half of it are their faces).

After all, every gamer has his/her own and uncopying way to play. So don't be so unfair judging the game by the gamer mistakes.

I don't think it's about that really, people are different and play games differently and that's ok and awesome, but particularly to this game I feel like what we all want is to comtemplate how much of a masterpiece the Witcher 3: The Wild hunt really is. It's not for nothing that Gopher's video is the most liked one. He ilustrated things we are longing to know very .. hm.. professionally I guess it's the word..

It is a bit annoying to see someone who has no idea of what they're doing, trying to use a steel sword as a silver sword, or undressing Geralt and running around killing geese and cows... hahahaha
That is funny, it's nothing so serious or hateful to be a bit annoyed by it, and it's nice to see them having fun, but it's annoying specially because: WE CAN'T PLAY THE GAME YET!!!!! :sad:

I'll just watch the new Gopher's video today, and the next CDPR's releases. We've already seen too much! xD

Last edited:
I really hate this discussion... Just one reason.... I can't check it myself.... Everything is based on speculation, observation and unknown player's skills...
I'm gonna judge it AFTER the release... Give me the Game!!! :p

Last edited:
You are right that the player totally played like a complete idiot, but you can't tell me you didn't see that Geralt lost 1 third of his health from one hit, and when Geralt hit the other guy he barely lost a twentieth. Also like I mentioned earlier, Angry Joe's video showed the reverse happening when Geralt was high level, I hope that the game will manage to keep itself balanced if you move from event-clusters in a specific order indicated by the story, but I hate the idea of ruining the challenge for myself by being a completionist.

He lost so much health coz was stabed by a long sword in his back. WTF you want dude? Geralt isn't a best montersalyer in univers coz he can take 100 punches right into his face. He is so good swordsman cause he didn't let enemies to hit him, not because his skin is made from steel. As you can heard from Angry Joe, character was specialy overlvled, and in normal situation moster are on lvl which should fit the gameplay, providing enough satisfaction. BTW, some enemies have that shield or stamina bar, which is regenerating, that why you shouldn't play with enemies and kill them asap and girll on video clearly have no idea wtf she's doing.

And if it's not enough for You, you can simply change the level of difficulty for higher.

Last edited:
I'm surprised by this discussion just because I expected it to work exactly as it does. I recall them mentioning it as one of their "invisible hands" for guiding players through the world.

He lost so much health coz was stabed hit by a long sword in back. WTF you want dude? Geralt isn't a best montersalyer in univers coz he can take 100 punches right into his face. He is so good swordsman cause he didn't let enemies to hit him, not because his skin is made from steel. As you can heard from Angry Joe, character was specialy overlvled, and in normal situation moster are on lvl which should fit the gameplay, providing enough satisfaction.

And if it's not enough for You, you can simply change the level of difficulty for higher.

*sigh* I'm not saying that the damage Geralt took was inappropriate on its own, I'm saying that it's inappropriate when the damage Geralt deals to the other guy in comparison is so ludicrously small. If they both took 3-7 hits to die it would be more immersive. The challenge against normal human enemies should come from larger numbers like in the books. And I can let it slide if this guy is intended as a sort of tutorial on combat-control, but if any enemy that is a few levels higher than you will be a complete damage sponge that potentially one-shots you, I would call that artificial difficulty.

BTW, some enemies have that shield or stamina bar, which is regenerating, that why you shouldn't play with enemies and kill them asap and girll on video clearly have no idea wtf she's doing.

I edited so you probably didn't saw it.

Last edited:

That's true, but that could be because the armor Geralt was wearing offered pretty low protection, or the guy had a really good sword. Maybe the reason she was doing so low damage was because she just had a really shitty sword equipped, maybe it was also broken. And as you said it was reversed for Angry Joe but it also could have been that he was using a really good sword and really good armor.

Point is, judging from all these videos, it looks like player skill plays a much bigger part and I'm extremely happy because of that. Oh and this is an open world game, so I'm willing to bet money on this, that no matter what there will be places and events that won't be balanced, certain places and enemies you'll steam roll right through and other places and enemies will crush you. Don't expect the game to be completely balanced because it's virtually impossible to balance open world games, without using enemy scaling(which sucks), but hey that's what difficulty sliders are for.

*sigh* I'm not saying that the damage Geralt took was inappropriate on its own, I'm saying that it's inappropriate when the damage Geralt deals to the other guy in comparison is so ludicrously small. If they both took 3-7 hits to die it would be more immersive. The challenge against normal human enemies should come from larger numbers like in the books. And I can let it slide if this guy is intended as a sort of tutorial on combat-control, but if any enemy that is a few levels higher than you will be a complete damage sponge that potentially one-shots you, I would call that artificial difficulty.

You seem to have missed the part where she was using a /broken/ lvl 1 sword for that fight. Likely a contributing factor.

Also:

It only took one pitchfork to the chest to kill Geralt the first time.

Whole accusation that he did so much dmg to me and I barely scratched him sounds so ridiculous for me. How can you blame that not all monster/enemies on map are balanced to Your lvl 3 character? In open game world without scaling? Man, really?No. I mean, really?

You seem to have missed the part where she was using a /broken/ lvl 1 sword for that fight. Likely a contributing factor.

Also:

It only took one pitchfork to the chest to kill Geralt the first time.

1: The sword broke during the fight, it already did super-low damage before it broke

2: It also never took Geralt 50+ hits to kill somebody else

Why do people have so much trouble understanding the concept of balance? You seem to be so deep in the mindset of the extremes of rpgs where you are either a kitten or a god. Have you never played Dark Souls? That's a game with character-progression that provides a consistent challenge through-out.

I know quests will have suggested levels which is a good thing, but it is another matter like in the new vid where she accepts the duel with the guy and only then finds out he's a much higher level. In situations like this you then either have to turn tail and run from one guy which seems silly to say the least or just keep grinding if the level gap isn't *too* far and hope he doesn't one shot you.

I'm certainly not for level scaling, but no level scaling is also far from perfect I think.

1: The sword broke during the fight, it already did super-low damage before it broke

2: It also never took Geralt 50+ hits to kill somebody else

Why do people have so much trouble understanding the concept of balance? You seem to be so deep in the mindset of the extremes of rpgs where you are either a kitten or a god. Have you never played Dark Souls? That's a game with character-progression that provides a consistent challenge through-out.

Since CDPR several times mentioned the Gothic games as one of their inspirations for open world rpgs, maybe they followed them also in the way of chapter/act structure. Gothic 1&2 (not sure about 3) are divided into chapters and after the start of each new chapter the world is repopulated with more dangerous and stronger enemies/monsters, thus providing a kind of fake level scaling. Perhaps we will see something similar in W3.

Top Bottom