Combat in The Witcher 3

+
Why so much rolling during combat?

Look at these videos : http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...tcher-3-News?p=1618389&viewfull=1#post1618389

I remember that one of the major issues of TW2 combat was the excessive use of rolling during combat.
TW3 combat system should provide a "pirouette" dodge as an alternative to the rolling. This "piroutte" dodge was shown in various official videos from CDProjekt, despite being very rare (like 1 pirouette/dodge every 3-4 rolls).

Why in the new gameplay videos we don't see ANY piroutte/dodge move?

There's so much rolling, simply because the people who were playing it, decided to roll a lot. You don't need to. I'd say they were just playing it like they would TW2. Seeing as it was their first time playing.

There is more than one way of avoiding attacks in this one. It has at least step-dodging, and rolling. You choose which to do depending on the circumstances. There may even be others when leveling up. You can also, ofc parry/block, and Quen shield hold (upgraded Quen).

Not to mention that even the roll looks hugely improved over the one in TW2, imo. But, as I mentioned you can also dodge, without rolling.

Last edited:
There's so much rolling, simply because the people who were playing it, decided to roll a lot. You don't need to. I'd say they were just playing it like they would TW2. Seeing as it was their first time playing.

There is more than one way of avoiding attacks in this one. It has at least step-dodging, and rolling. You choose which to do depending on the circumstances. There may even be others when leveling up. You can also, ofc parry/block, and Quen shield hold (upgraded Quen).

Not to mention that even the roll looks hugely improved over the one in TW2, imo. But, as I mentioned you can also dodge, without rolling.

The question remains, why barely any of the youtuber used the dodge and spammed the roll instead. I would guess they would use what's most effective?
I remember the first vids in 2013, in which we didn't see a single roll, so most people thought it was replaced by the dodge. In the last months I see more and more vids with roll spamming which is surprising considering the roll mechanic in Witcher 2 was one of the biggest complaints many people had with the game.
Imo the drawback isn't high enough. It should use a proper amount of vigor and not just stop it's regeneration.

Maybe the dodge movement is reachable by leveling skills, and rolling is the basic and easyier to use....

The question remains, why barely any of the youtuber used the dodge and spammed the roll instead. I would guess they would use what's most effective?
I remember the first vids in 2013, in which we didn't see a single roll, so most people thought it was replaced by the dodge. In the last months I see more and more vids with roll spamming which is surprising considering the roll mechanic in Witcher 2 was one of the biggest complaints.
Imo the drawback just sin't high enough. It should use a proper amount of vigor and not just stop it's regeneration.

I think you might be giving the Youtubers too much credit here. Like they had some master plan. I think they may have just been mashing the buttons most of the time lol.

But, yeh. I'd imagine that rolling is for longer distances, and dodging is for well time counters, and avoidance, etc.

I'm not certain ofc, but I think you might tap the button for dodging, and hold it for rolling (maybe), so that would explain why they were rolling so much, because of spamming the button lol.

Edit: I agree that it should cost a little vigor, so you can't spam roll all day.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the youtubers just played like it was TW2, with the roll they could get away easily, while the dodge/parry might be a bit more involved and they might not have spent time trying to try it out, just trying to cover as much of the game as possible in the time given.

Still, the roll pauses the adrenaline regeneration and while rolling away you could also get a hit in the back, which hopefully is like in TW2, you get double damage by default, so there should be a nice balance.

I'm not certain ofc, but I think you might tap the button for dodging, and hold it for rolling (maybe), so that would explain why they were rolling so much, because of spamming the button lol.

i'm pretty sure A is for rolling and B is for dodging while in combat. I think you're right that there may be other uses in higher levels (e.g. double tap, holding down) but I'm 100% sure they are different buttons to begin with.

i'm pretty sure A is for rolling and B is for dodging while in combat. I think you're right that there may be other uses in higher levels (e.g. double tap, holding down) but I'm 100% sure they are different buttons to begin with.

Ah cool. I knew you could do both. Wasn't sure if they were on the same button or not, though. I do think they should have put some cost (maybe a small amount of vigor) to rolling(not dodging), so you can't just flail all over the place with it, imo. Because, let's face it spam rolling is op ;p

Ah cool. I knew you could do both. Wasn't sure if they were on the same button or not, though. I do think they should have put some cost (maybe a small amount of vigor) to rolling(not dodging), so you can't just flail all over the place with it, imo. Because, let's face it spam rolling is op ;p

Doesn't it halt the regeneration of vigor? So if you're relying on signs/counter attacks/heavy attacks, you can't just spam roll and expect those other funcitons to go as smoothly. Also someone else said something about losing your lock on, so you have to reorientate yourself to focus properly, but I could be talking out my arse, don't quote me on that one.

Doesn't it halt the regeneration of vigor? So if you're relying on signs/counter attacks/heavy attacks, you can't just spam roll and expect those other funcitons to go as smoothly. Also someone else said something about losing your lock on, so you have to reorientate yourself to focus properly, but I could be talking out my arse, don't quote me on that one.

Yes, no adrenaline regeneration, so you won't be able to use signs and whatever else depends on it. So you'll be able to get out of a pinch, but you won't be able to just keep rollin'. :)

And as I mentioned, by rolling away you turn your back to the enemy, double damage/better critical hits on you are to be expected.

Well, with vigor not regenerating during it. That's good at least, hopefully. I actually had modded my own Witcher 2, to make blocking better. So I didn't have to roll around the place so much. I tried to do movable blocking at one stage, but I remember it was taking too long to try rework existing animations to work with it, etc. So I ended up forgetting it lol.

Will it be possible to totaly bucher Geralds playstyle ? like the common weapon style for him is he 2 swords but what if i wana use battle -axe or bows , or small dagers maybe , u know ? Is it posssible for me to chose my game weapons ?
thanks

Will it be possible to totaly bucher Geralds playstyle ? like the common weapon style for him is he 2 swords but what if i wana use battle -axe or bows , or small dagers maybe , u know ? Is it posssible for me to chose my game weapons ?
thanks

Maybe. The 2nd game had daggers (throwing), TW3 has a crossbow. As far as other weapons are concerned, TW2 allowed it, but you lost all of the Witcher moves. It was intended for fun playthroughs, not as a real alternative.

Regarding targeting and free flow. I'm seeing very little evidence of TW2's system. In the latest video, there's a ton of whiffing, and I hope it's because people aren't playing right. In only a few instances did I see Geralt scuttle to close the distance on an enemy, and it wasn't far. Supposedly that's still in but the people playing aren't really using it. Instead, they spam attacks, flail at air, until he reaches the target. Honestly, it has me concerned if there's a mechanic in place where Geralt will actually reach his target with one press. I don't see people using his run to close the distance either.

Regarding targeting and free flow. I'm seeing very little evidence of TW2's system. In the latest video, there's a ton of whiffing, and I hope it's because people aren't playing right. In only a few instances did I see Geralt scuttle to close the distance on an enemy, and it wasn't far. Supposedly that's still in but the people playing aren't really using it. Instead, they spam attacks, flail at air, until he reaches the target. Honestly, it has me concerned if there's a mechanic in place where Geralt will actually reach his target with one press. I don't see people using his run to close the distance either.

I think I heard somewhere that Geralt, unlike in Witcher 2, won't automatically close distance between him and the enemy. can't find a source, but based on the videos it seems at least partially true. if the distance is small enough it looks like Geralt does a little twirl, but nothing like the Witcher 2 where you could charge into the middle of a crowd with a single button press. I guess that's both a good and a bad thing.

I am not convinced roll spamming has been killed appropriately by the developers yet, part of that being youtuber's common lack of skill, but in the video of Melonie Mac, she dodges way more than rolling, a lot more, and she actually seems to be the best player I've seen so far overall.

Now could you play that good or even better by rolling all the time? maybe, its possible, but I dont think there's anything we can confirm yet, and for now we have the two "sides" covered. Some guys roll like its TW2, Melonie didnt, and she fought a lot of stuff, so...there.

Top Bottom