PC mouse and keyboard controls

+
Of course you can... I mean, you should be able to. Otherwise it's utterly stupid :) I don't think it will go that far.

Of course you can... I mean, you should be able to. Otherwise it's utterly stupid :) I don't think it will go that far.

But then...why "Press E"?
You should press "LEft Mouse" to take a single item...
You have to press "ESC" to close that menu, because there is not an "X" that can be clicked with mouse.

That is the problem. The UI must work for both but there is a big difference between creating it for K/M and adapting for controller and creating it for controller and adapting it for K/M. And it looks like it was created for controller. And it mean that PC players will suffer from this decision.

I don't think that I will suffer from what I've seen. The UI seems very functional and looks nice.
Sure, there could be changes to make it a bit more K+M specific, but there's nothing inherently wrong with it.

I still think that people are a bit overreacting.

You have to press "ESC" to close that menu, because there is not an "X" that can be clicked with mouse.

Have you never encountered this in another game? Like you can move through the items using directional buttons on keyboard and push a button to take the highlighted item, OR you can click on the item via mouse button. It is apparent in most hybrid RPGs. Good to have options, you know. I don't think this is one of the parts where we need to be alarmed :)

Question: do we have separate keys for each sign like we did in TW2? In TW2 I had Aard and Igni bound to the side mouse buttons and Axii, Yrden and Quen bound to Z,X and C (same for Dota 2 items funnily enough) and I could cast any of them them with a single key press, I didn't have to fiddle around with the selection wheel or press keys for next sign/previous sign. This meant an entire fight sequence was fluid with 0 interruptions, I was never taken out of the action by silly pauses.

Last edited:
It's already gone gold, so only day 1 patch can change something :\
The YT were not playing on the gold version, neither was any other video out yet... So things have already changed from the version they played to the gold version...

The only control feature I'm worried about is that we can map EVERY button... I tend to use arrow keys rather than WASD for movement and thus always remap my quick save to a closer function key. In TW2 I started replaying and realized I couldn't remap quick save... even a third party tool to change the keys to window's eye's didn't change it in game... I am so used to hitting F9 To save and I keep hitting it and instead.... opps quick loaded and lost progress LOL (just got to get used to it again but come on...)

If that is the only improvement I'll be happy, but also getting a new mouse with 10 buttons so that support would also be great.

Have you never encountered this in another game? Like you can move through the items using directional buttons on keyboard and push a button to take the highlighted item, OR you can click on the item via mouse button. It is apparent in most hybrid RPGs. Good to have options, you know. I don't think this is one of the parts where we need to be alarmed :)

Possibly.
But there is still the lack of a way to close the menu using the mouse, without press Esc.

Can't you do the same thing in Witcher 2? Can't you press a button, and it loots the first item in the loot stash? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, and confusing in with the 'loot all' button.

Can't you do the same thing in Witcher 2? Can't you press a button, and it loots the first item in the loot stash? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, and confusing in with the 'loot all' button.

Uhm...I'm playing it right now, but the only think in common I have notice is the spacebar to collect the entire loot.

---------- Updated at 03:51 PM ----------

Another thing...but mostly related to gameplay, is this:

Why is there the "weight limitator"?
It's completely no sense, because there is already a grid menu. So...I suppose that ... the grid has no real limit, you can collect all items you want, but there is that annoying weight limitator.

Why a weight limitation? Why a bulk limitation? Perhaps because it is difficult to carry very large numbers of big things. It is also tiring to carry even one very heavy small thing.

Having two limits forces compliance with the smaller of bulk and weight limits. This seems reasonable and consistent with "how the world works".

But there is still the lack of a way to close the menu using the mouse, without press Esc
Usually I hit the I to go into inventory then do what I need to and hit I again to close it, Though not sure if that is so in TW just started a replay been awhile... I don't think I've ever clicked an X to close a window even if the game I was playing had it. My left hand was already on the key to open inv after all...

---------- Updated at 10:03 AM ----------

Why a weight limitation? Why a bulk limitation? Perhaps because it is difficult to carry very large numbers of big things. It is also tiring to carry even one very heavy small thing.

Having two limits forces compliance with the smaller of bulk and weight limits. This seems reasonable and consistent with "how the world works".

And will be one of the first things that a modder removes from game, because going back to town often to sale things is annoying... but that just my opinnion and OT...

Why is there the "weight limitator"?
It's completely no sense, because there is already a grid menu. So...I suppose that ... the grid has no real limit, you can collect all items you want, but there is that annoying weight limitator.

yeah, I'm pretty sure there is a scrollbar in the inventory if it gets too "full". (I have no idea which video I saw it in, we have way too much footage now.)
so it's not a "real" grid based inventory like the witcher 1.

yeah, I'm pretty sure there is a scrollbar in the inventory if it gets too "full". (I have no idea which video I saw it in, we have way too much footage now.)

It seems so.

But I REALLY hate when you run out of weight, like 61/60 and you have debuff states like "you can't run" or something like that. Just...give me a limit. It doesn't matter if grid based or weight based. Like, I have reached 60/60, full weight, I can't pick up anything.

It seems so.

But I REALLY hate when you run out of weight, like 61/60 and you have debuff states like "you can't run" or something like that. Just...give me a limit. It doesn't matter if grid based or weight based. Like, I have reached 60/60, full weight, I can't pick up anything.

You *are allowed* to drop stuff you know. <confused>

Ah yes. TW1 inventory. Complete with Side-scrolling on the Quest section where you had to click on an arrow to display two more at a time, no tool-tips, no way of telling what was in each alchemy item unless you installed a mod or clicked on them individually. Would you really prefer that?

And maybe back on topic now?

Ah yes. TW1 inventory. Complete with Side-scrolling on the Quest section where you had to click on an arrow to display two more at a time, no tool-tips, no way of telling what was in each alchemy item unless you installed a mod or clicked on them individually. Would you really prefer that?

And maybe back on topic now?

I didn't say I liked it, I just said it's not like it. witcher 1 is the most relevant game here with a grid-based inventory, and a lot of people seem to have unconditional love for that ui.
but yes, back on topic.

All I want to say is that CDPR seems to have left it late when it comes to optimising KB&M controls, and when work is left to the last minute, it is often rushed and sub par. I really hope this isn't the case with W3, and that the silence from them concerning this issue is not indicative of their negligence of PC controls & UI.

Oh yeah, we HAVE to be alarmed. It's one of these things that came with consolization of games. Something like that has no right to exist in a PC game. It has no right to exist in a game optimized for PC.

And I don't talk about options to use hotkeys instead of mouse clicking. That's of course obligatory. I talk about the aesthetics of the respective menu (inlcuding button prompts which are not integrated at all in the overall aesthetics) and how it violates basic rules of creating a proper PC UI design.

This is just horrible. And sorry, I can't let that stand as just a "minor" thing. This is really major stuff we talk about here. UI and controls are extremely important and how they look on PC so far is just not acceptable.

---------- Updated at 06:57 PM ----------

What if the UI works for both, controllers and M+K? Crazy, right?
I personally don't see a problem with the UI, it looks good. Yes, there could be tweaks specifically for M+K, but the current one looks like it's working pretty good.
No, it's not. This is a UI made 95% for consoles and controllers. The only deviation from vanilla console design is the grid based inventory. Everything else is purely made for controller usage, neglecting basic rules for designing a proper PC UI.

Of course the UI will somehow "work". That's not the issue here. The issue is that the UI so far isn't optimized AT ALL for PC (M/K). It could be a ton better if properly optimized. And no, I'm not satisfied with getting an inferior UI for my choice of input controls. That's imho also below CDPR's dignity of both having some standards in proper design and based on their original PC heritage. That's just not acceptable so far. Or better said: it would be a HUGE disappointment if the game would be released on PC in this state.

---------- Updated at 07:05 PM ----------

And which game developer team made a seperate UI for the PC port only?

Blizzard -> Diablo 3

They actually made a completely seperate UI for the console ports. Both UIs (console and PC) cater almost perfectly to the specific strengths and demands of the respective input methods.

Just google for images of the both versions. They're completely different indeed. And they're pretty much the gold standard of how to do proper UIs in PC and console RPGs. If Blizzard can do it, why can't CDPR do it as well?

The "unified" approach is just lazy (yeah, it IS lazy and I will never apologize for that statement). It baffles me that such a HUGE game with so many people working on it and with such high standards of quality in every element of the game won't cater to different input methods specificially. That's just beyond my simple minded understanding. There are about 300 people working on the game IIRC. A seperate PC UI would have required one or maybe up to three UI designers on top of that. You can't tell me that there wasn't any money available for that. It only shows that CDPR obviously don't value proper PC controls high enough to spend some money on it. And that's imo just hugely disappointing...

Top Bottom