Witcher 2 fps drops

+
Witcher 2 fps drops

Hi

I decided to play again Witcher 2 while I am waiting for release of Witcher 3 however I bumped on a problem. Most of the time fps stays on stable 60, however from time to time every minute or so my fps goes down to 20. I have recently upgraded gpu to gtx 970, previously I was playing on HD 7750 and never experienced fps drops. I am worried as I spent lot of money on upgrading my pc and I don't want to experience similar issue with Witcher 3.

My rig:
FX 8120 OC 4,1 GHz - Zalman CNPS 10X Cooler
Palit Jetstream GTX 970
24 GB Ram: 16 GB Corsair Vengance + 8 GB Samsung both 1666 Mhz
PSU Xfx 550 W
Toshiba 1TB and WD 500GB both 7200 rpm

I have checked a lot of different forums and so far I have done:

- checked my temps. CPU stays always below 50 C and GPU goes max to 74 C.
- disabled AMD cool and quiet
- disable AMD turbo boost
- disabled firewall, antivirus, internet connection
- defragmented both disks
- install game on different disks
- re-installed both win 8.1 and win 7
- scanned system with malware-bytes and windows malicious removal tool
- re installed nvidia drivers in safe mode
- unpark cores
- tweaked nvidia control panel

Nothing works so far and I am start to think that my cpu bottlenecks video card. I have checked resource monitor and most of the time cpu usage is on 40%...

Many thanks
Appreciate any hints :welcome:

Last edited:
I've been seeing exactly the same thing, and have also been trying to find out why.
I7 3770K, not overclocked. I'm not seeing excessive CPU usage. No special settings. HDD similar to yours.

I'd like to see a solution for TW2, but at the moment I'm not overconcerned about TW3 as I think it seems to be related to the streaming, it's whenever the icon spins for it loading something? Is that the same for you, or does it also happen in combat, or other places where you're NOT running around for one place to another?

It may speed up me getting SDD though.

I've been seeing exactly the same thing, and have also been trying to find out why.
I7 3770K, not overclocked. I'm not seeing excessive CPU usage. No special settings. HDD similar to yours.

I'd like to see a solution for TW2, but at the moment I'm not overconcerned about TW3 as I think it seems to be related to the streaming, it's whenever the icon spins for it loading something? Is that the same for you, or does it also happen in combat, or other places where you're NOT running around for one place to another?

It may speed up me getting SDD though.

It happens in exactly same places , for example right after exiting battering tower in prologue.
I have noticed by watching resource monitor cpu spikes up to around 80% for split second at the same time fps goes down.
Why do you think Witcher 3 won't have similar problem?
On the other hand I tried Ethan Carter and i have exactly same problem...
I red on other forums ppl with ssd are experiencing same problems

Keep an eye on your GPU memory usage. If it goes over 3.5 GB then you have your answer. (Don't see how TW2 would go over that, unless you're running ubersampling or something)

Keep an eye on your GPU memory usage. If it goes over 3.5 GB then you have your answer. (Don't see how TW2 would go over that, unless you're running ubersampling or something)

I play on 1080p with no ubersampling, I have been watching gpu monitor, memory usage its on max 74% which is around 2.96 GB.
However I have noticed Power/Core/Memory usage drop at the same time fps drops, do you know what might be a reason for that?

---------- Updated at 06:21 PM ----------

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/781982/geforce-drivers/nvidia-geforce-gtx-900-series-feedback-gathering-low-gpu-load-and-other-issues-/164/

ok I'm fucked should have bought r9 290

Hope nvidia will fix it for W3

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 362
GTX 9xx series Witcher 3 sudden fps drop

I decided to start this thread as I bump on sudden fps drops in Witcher 2 after upgrading to gtx 970.

There are tons of post on Nvidia website from 960/970/980 owners complaining about fps drops in certain games. Issue wasn't address by Nvidia so far - see link below.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...gathering-low-gpu-load-and-other-issues-/165/

I wanted to ask CD PROJEKT RED if they are aware of these issues and if Witcher 3 will be free from fps drops and low gpu utilization?

I bought gtx 970 to enjoy Witcher 3 however now I am not sure if that was right decision.

Thank you

Given that most of the demonstration machines seem to be running GTX 980s, I feel pretty confident in saying that the game is fairly optimized for that hardware.

I did the same (G1 Gaming), and tried W2 with Ultra and ubersambling, got above 60 fps, didn't notice any drops, but then didn't play much, 10 min maybe..
What resolution did you use ?

I got Palit Jetstream, 1080p with ubersampling I can't go no more than 50.

I got Palit Jetstream, 1080p with ubersampling I can't go no more than 50.
Well it's not just about the GPU, is it. rest of the HW, the system...there can be plenty reasons there. As pointed above, due to very close cooperation between CDPR and Nvidia, I would bet that those cards (970/980) will give the best performance, simply put.

Ubersampling is 4k res... which might be asking a bit much for a 3.5Gb card? Unsure, but ubersampling is definitely known to be a very heavy feature.

I hope this isn't an issue, because my Dad (idiotically) bought me a 980 for Christmas for W3 and Star Citizen.

However, I was playing Witcher 2 last night, finally on maxed out settings and had no problems.

Ubersampling is 4k res... which might be asking a bit much for a 3.5Gb card? Unsure, but ubersampling is definitely known to be a very heavy feature.

Yeah don't mind DSR, I am talking about known issue with gtx 9xx series which includes sudden fps drops due to low core utilization..I have experienced it in W2 even without ubersampling.

Moderator: Posts have been deleted for trolling, and other posts have been deleted because they are responses to troll posts. Keep it on topic, keep it respectful, or keep silence. Reposting deleted posts is grounds for an immediate ban.

Well bottom line is as there is still 19 days to release, shall I get rid of this card and get me r9 290?

I have a 970 with a FX 8350 at home, if you want I can turn on fraps and ubersampling on TW2 and see if it loses fps in major way... I typically don't have ubersampling on and playing last few days haven't seen any issues. What other settings were you using? W2 tweak program? That what I been using...

Well bottom line is as there is still 19 days to release, shall I get rid of this card and get me r9 290?

That would probably go a long way in the wrong direction. Very expensive way to respond to an irresponsible rumor by making a deep downgrade. But it's your money, not mine.

Top Bottom