The Witcher 3 - Visuals

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
The VGX trailer is just that, a trailer that was released 17 months before the game will be released. Games change. Trailers reflect the best foot forward of the game at the time the trailer is released. A "trailer" as defined in this context is:

a selected group of scenes that are shown to advertise a *[video game]*.

Advertise is defined as:

to call public attention to especially by emphasizing desirable qualities so as to arouse a desire to buy or patronize.

So in the context of a trailer, it makes sense that they would show you very good footage under very good circumstances to arouse a desire to buy the game. That's what advertising is. Taking a still shot of a youtube video and saying "it looks worse in this instance therefore they are liars" is disingenuous. Maybe there is no smoke because NPCs only light fires at certain times of the day. Maybe differences in weather effect the image. Maybe the systems are set to different graphics settings. Maybe there are compression issues. We just don't know yet. A lot of people are jumping to conclusions with limited and imperfect information. Patience is a virtue.

http://gearnuke.com/witcher-3-wild-hunt-final-build-vs-pre-release-trailer-comparison/ I think this article largely has it right in it's conclusion.

The most noticeable difference is of course the lighting in each of the scene. While the general graphics remain the same, the lighting has been changed, probably to meet the art direction of te game. It could have been different to show a better view in the trailers compared to the final build. There are also some slight tweaks including different characters and armor.

What’s obvious from the above comparison is that the game retains its look very well from all of the pre-release footage.

There ARE some differences in the game from the trailer to the videos we have seen. Some (including myself) could conclude that the trailers look slightly better. There are three reasons that is not really that big of a deal.

(1) I would argue that one should have a healthy amount of skepticism whenever watching a trailer because it is advertising, regardless of who it is coming from. They are trying to sell something, and that is okay because otherwise they won't be able to make the next game. I don't know about you, but I really want to play CP 2077 and TW4: Ciri's Revenge. You cannot reasonably expect the game to look the exact same all the time from one video or image to the next.

(2) The trailers are a fair representation of what the game has become in my opinion. Even if it looks "worse" it still looks freaking awesome. I don't know of an open world RPG that looks better. How can being the best at what you are trying to be still be considered bad?

(3) We have all seen the videos showing the game as it appears now. So you cannot say you do not know what you are going to get.

*The actual merriam-webster definition says "movie" specifically. I changed the definition to reflect the context of our conversation.

Last edited:

Attachments

• EndsWithUs.JPG
    EndsWithUs.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 57
I'm temporarily bored with "lol", but they're basically the same spontaneous event, think of it as what they wrote under silly cat engravings in medieval times ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGgO_kBKRzw says at 12:05- 12.20 that the quality of the youtube video doesn't do the game justice, it looks a lot better and is "probably a representation of the game at low settings" (video is titled with PC Ultra).
People should keep this in mind before comparing a compressed youtube video image with a uncompressed version or even how it will look ingame.

Last edited:
How on earth is that "downgraded"? It looks terrible already look at the picture, it's clipping through the horse and Geralt pretty badly.

? Based on what? Where did you see volumetric smoke and where did you see sprite based smoke?

? What sharpness of texture? It's the same but with sharpening filter. You can do that to virtually any game, put a bit of sharpening and it will look more "detailed" but it is well known the human brain cannot differentiate between noise/grain and actual details(the concept upon which the modern video encoding is built upon) and that introduces tons of high frequency details that are distracting and temporally unstable - flickering.

Welcome to the art of cinematography :p

How on earth is that "downgraded"? It looks terrible already look at the picture, it's clipping through the horse and Geralt pretty badly.

I do not understand you. What is clipping? I wanted to say the dust particle (i do not know how to call it otherwise in english) while horse gallop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WtIpfwIClQ#t=0m49s There is small stone particles and dust particles. See? But now it's looks like Geralt ride horse on asphalt. Almost zero particles. And be honest please, is that looked bad?

? Based on what? Where did you see volumetric smoke and where did you see sprite based smoke?

Watch at picture:)

? What sharpness of texture? It's the same but with sharpening filter. You can do that to virtually any game, put a bit of sharpening and it will look more "detailed" but it is well known the human brain cannot differentiate between noise/grain and actual details(the concept upon which the modern video encoding is built upon) and that introduces tons of high frequency details that are distracting and temporally unstable - flickering.

Yes i mean filter. You are right about that

Attachments

• old.jpg
    old.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 51
look at quality of mountains.. they are blobs now.. no smoke chimney.. overall new shot is VERY poor compared to the bullshot. You know it, I know it. And CD know it.

What happen with smoke chimney? Must its fire lighted the whole 24h of every day in every home?

The qulity of the montain? please, I only might give you a reasonable answer only after playing the game with my Geralt in that same position for 24 or maybe 48 hours game/timening.

That really remembers me the viral blue-black /white-golden dress

Last edited:
'K, that was getting a little weird and definitely off-topic. A post was deleted.
@amfibiya89 - wichat was pointing out that SHE isn't a man.

And to those who are just repeating themselves, it really doesn't contribute to any form of discussion. I think you may need to think about whether you're giving feedback, responding to feedback, or just having an internet argument for the point of it. Because one of those three may end abruptly.

What the heck... people still think CDPR owed us VGX Graphics? damn people.... it was just 1!!! Trailer.... they siad themselves after the trailer they had to switch to a completly new engine renderer. So everyone with a bit of sense can understand that between VGX and SOD the VGX Version of the game was dead... gone for good.

What point is there in grieving for something thats long gone? the Game is done... Gold.... and to anyone who isnt completly obsessed with the VGX Trailer is still looking AMAZING.

honestly i pitty everyone who sabotages his enjoyment of the Game over this.. i feel truly sorry.

'K, that was getting a little weird and definitely off-topic. A post was deleted.
@amfibiya89 - wichat was pointing out that SHE isn't a man.

And to those who are just repeating themselves, it really doesn't contribute to any form of discussion. I think you may need to think about whether you're giving feedback, responding to feedback, or just having an internet argument for the point of it. Because one of those three may end abruptly.

OOhh. Ok. I understand @wichat.571 now. And sorry for off topic post.

they siad themselves after the trailer they had to switch to a completly new engine renderer.

Did they switch new engine renderer after VGX ? But i thought that build was already from new engine. They switched new engine before debut trailer. Debut trailer was dx11. And VGX was published after debut trailer. Or am i misunderstand something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom