The Witcher 3 - Visuals

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
by claining the game has been downgraded in a deal with console makers, when you have no proof whatsoever. That's called defamation.

Ok, we will not say it. But then, please, give me a better convincing reason to the cut of foliage, LOD, volumetric fog.
And "performance reason" is not allowed. This problem doesn't exist on PC, because you can easily make some Uber settings with a discalimer which says that those are heavy on performances.

I'm just sad. Not for myself, but on behalf of others.
The negativity they choose to use, focus on.

You can justify your opinion, pick up all possible arguments.

But I will never understand..

I love this game already, its stunning and beautiful world.
Gopher shared 3 videos that was a real joy to watch and gave me a better perspective of the game.

Now I can't wait to adventure into the open world of the Witcher 3! But that's just me, you know.

Textures are downgraded? Please.... ;), look at this screenshot: textures are sharp as ever:

They upgraded alot of things since VGX imho. Lighting, character models, geralt hair. Some things are the same like textures but without sharpening filter. Some things are worse like grass.

Last edited:
Please define downgrade in your own terms.

The above will do for a definition. Claims of downgrading founded on a belief that CDPR has done so to increase console sales or at the behest of console makers are exactly what I am warning you will be the targets of moderator action.

Any other claims of downgrading need to be backed by actual evidence, not just tampered screenshots or compressed videos, of which there has been precious little.

Nonetheless, the pupil can only accustom itself to a single light context to my knowledge. It can't see into a dark cave while outside that dark cave in the noonday sun. Or, conversely, look out a from a dark cave onto a sunny field of wheat and see a tan cow.

I'm just sad. Not for myself, but on behalf of others.
The negativity they choose to use, focus on.

You can justify your opinion, pick up all possible arguments.

But I will never understand..

I love this game already, its stunning and beautiful world.
Gopher shared 3 videos that was a real joy to watch and gave me more a better perspective of the game.

Now I can't wait to adventure into the open world of the Witcher 3! But that's just me.

Stunning, Yes. Beautiful. Yes. Overall, it is.
But foliage is below average. And the low draw distance really ruins the immersion. The fog used to mask the reduced LOD is simply ugly.

The above will do for a definition. Claims of downgrading founded on a belief that CDPR has done so to increase console sales or at the behest of console makers are exactly what I am warning you will be the targets of moderator action.

Any other claims of downgrading need to be backed by actual evidence, not just tampered screenshots or compressed videos, of which there has been precious little.

"Tampered screenshots" what are you talking about?? Who here has wasted their time to Photoshop an image to prove that it HAS been downgraded and not for the purposes of presenting color pallet differences? Who did this because I haven't seen a single "tampered" screenshot for our position that it's been downgraded.

Edit: And literally the image right above your post clearly shows a draw distance that has been significantly reduced but oh wait, you're going to say "it's he weather!" Right. Where's YOUR proof that these screenshots aren't indicative of a downgrade???

Ok, we will not say it. But then, please, give me a better convincing reason to the cut of foliage, LOD, volumetric fog.
And "performance reason" is not allowed. This problem doesn't exist on PC, because you can easily make some Uber settings with a discalimer which says that those are heavy on performances.

No, you cannot actually do that. Not in a world where software quality actually means the game will achieve a specified objective under specified conditions.

"Ultra" performance has to be what can be realized on a widely available PC. Otherwise it would be foolish and costly as an engineering and business decision to deliver something else that cannot meet that requirement.

Ahhh I can't help but say it... I'd happily argue anything with Guy and go into it with some confidence of success, except computer hardware and the diminishing esoteric knowledge thats given us informational ley lines... he's a Techno-Mage, and you do well not to meddle in the affairs of wizards.

Think about that while I get some popcorn.

Please help. I've fallen. Still liking ponies!

Last edited by a moderator:
"Tampered screenshots" what are you talking about?? Who here has wasted their time to Photoshop an image to prove that it HAS been downgraded and not for the purposes of presenting color pallet differences? Who did this because I haven't seen a single "tampered" screenshot for our position that it's been downgraded.

Edit: And literally the image right above your post clearly shows a draw distance that has been significantly reduced but oh wait, you're going to say "it's he weather!" Right. Where's YOUR proof that these screenshots aren't indicative of a downgrade???

Possibly because there were some members who are no longer with us for the exact reason that they did that and then used those as the foundation of downgrade claims.

Also, screenshots carry little weight in drawing comparisons involving a game that depicts motion and action.

---------- Updated at 01:07 PM ----------

Please link me a quick quote. I can't find your so-called "definition" I'm asking for.

Moderator: Claims of downgrading founded on a belief that CDPR has done so to increase console sales or at the behest of console makers are exactly what I am warning you will be the targets of moderator action.

Otherwise it would be foolish and costly as an engineering and business decision to deliver something else that cannot meet that requirement.

Except that, and correct me if I'm wrong, what they showed in VGX was something that they already had.
Do something really awesome in a technical standpoint, show it to the mass market, and then cut it down because it will available only for very few customers, isn't a waste of resources?

But foliage is below average.
Looking at the screenshot posted the grass does look a bit flat to me, but then it always has to me in any game when DOF and blur is turned on (why I always turn them off myself) Not to mention other such factors that could be causing it in screenshot and poor quality videos to look that way. Hopefully it doesn't look as flat on my monitor...

Except that, and correct me if I'm wrong, what they showed in VGX was something that they already had.
Do something really awesome in a technical standpoint, show it to the mass market, and then cut it down because it will available only for very few customers, isn't a waste of resources?

No, what they showed was something they had not yet implemented in a fully playable game.

It is normal and even necessary that you attempt many things that you do not keep in the final product.

Guest 3790055

The biggest difference between the old footages and the new ones is that they change the lightning, the colors of the game. It's like a movie that has changed its cinematographer.
I think they made this change because the old visuals where way too much like a movie (that's why everybody found it so cool, so good looking), so they were amazing to see but gameplay suffered from it (because of visibility).

Ok the foliage looked better but they are still at the level of 2015 games.

No, what they showed was something they had not yet implemented in a fully playable game.

It is normal and even necessary that you attempt many things that you do not keep in the final product.

Where's your proof that it wasn't "implemented in a fully playable game". I clearly remember that trailer coming out AFTER the engine swap.

?
They claim in the trailer that it was "in-game footage". Not "in-engine".

There is a difference you may have overlooked, between a buggy alpha or early beta of a game, and a finished product that is playable under uncontrolled conditions. The VGX demo was only the former.

---------- Updated at 01:12 PM ----------

God! these debates just go round in circles! Haven't we been through all this before, and before that, and before that, too?
And we'll go round and round again, also after the game is released. Some members will continue to believe they know better than CDPR what actually works in their game and their business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom