2nd PLAYABLE character confirmed as Ciri

+

2nd PLAYABLE character confirmed as Ciri

• Total voters
So.....Geralt is just a vessel?Fucking just?Fucking vessel?Give me a fucking brake.And all this according to one of the main writers?

No Ciri is NOT main character.Without Geralt;Triss,Yennefer and others she would most likely be dead.She might be important part of story,even very important because of her special nature but she is NOT main character.If Geralt just decided to sit with his arms crossed she would have been killed so many times by now.

Also all this nonsense about it merely being one guy's opinion......give....me.....fucking....brake.He just so happens to be one of the lead writers and of course that's going to influence the main story...I mean himself said that we will be able to see that from the story.

Hey.....at least tumblr,twitter,neogaf etc. wont give you any problems wink wink

:facepalm:

calm down, jesus.
He obviously means that, just like in the books, Ciri is the person the world revolves around, not Geralt. Nothing more than that.

Still, using the word "vessel" for the main protagonist of 3 games and 8 books is a bit disturbing.

That was MY lose translation in the summary and probably my failure. Blame me. It was probably the wrong word to use here. Sorry. :(

The original German senctence from the Computerbild article:

Quest-Designer Nikolas Kolm geht sogar noch ein Stück weiter: „Für mich ist Cirilla die Hauptperson in ‚The Witcher 3‘. Eigentlich geht es um sie – durch Geralt wird lediglich die Geschichte erzählt.“

Who the hell is Mary Sue/McGuffin?

A Mary (or Gary) Sue is an idalized character with special properties that is special, unfailable, etc.

A McGuffin is a plot device, like the Ark of the Covenant or the Holy Grail. Something/someone that gets the story going and acts as a goal for the main character(s).

Give me a break. He just said that the overall (main) STORY is mostly about Ciri not that she is the main character (she obviously isn't)...

Well, pretty much like the novel pentalogy. The main story in the pentalogy already was mostly about Ciri. So that's nothing new. ;)

Well you see that would be fine.Saying that overall the story is about her and that since everyone is looking for her because she has these awesome mega super Saiyan powers she has great influence on the plot and that plot revolves around search for her....all of that would be fine.

Instead what was said is that Geralt's story,motives,relationships,dreams.....all of that is irrelevant because he is just a mean to present REAL star....Ciri.Though that star would be nothing without Geralt,Triss,Yennefer and others she is the main character.I'm sorry but that's their wording.And guy might be quest designer but he does have influence on story and I repeat he said that we will be able to see that as well from the game itself.

This is story about White Wolf.Geralt's voyage.Yeah sure Ciri plays vital role in it but she shoudln't steal all the spotlight.And really....comparisons with Last of Us?So Geralt is going to die?And Geralt is irrelavant and all his struggles are worth shit because we now have Ciri?

No.I wrote many things in this post which I decided to delete cause they all can be summed up in: NO

A Mary (or Gary) Sue is an idalized character with special properties that is special, unfailable, etc.

A McGuffin is a plot device, like the Ark of the Covenant or the Holy Grail. Something/someone that gets the story going and acts as a goal for the main character(s).

Ok, thanks. But according to that definition I don't see how Ciri is a Mary Sue at all. She is neither idealized nor unfailable...

So Geralt is going to die?And Geralt is irrelavant and all his struggles are worth shit because we now have Ciri?

Ahem, no. CDPR already confirmed that Geralt won't die in Witcher 3. Simply because we will be able to do side quests and exploration after we've finished the main plot... ;)

---------- Updated at 11:10 PM ----------

But she is more important then any other character and has world changing powers... that kinda qualifies.

That only qualifies if she hasn't a sophisticated character on her own imho. Being "special" isn't enough.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not go into the whole Mary Sue thing again with Ciri. i've seen threads over threads about that thing. Please discuss it somewhere. But not in this thread. Thanks :)

But she is more important then any other character and has world changing powers... that kinda qualifies.

No it doesnt. she is importqant for the plot IE a mcguffin not a mary sue. a mary sue is a character without flaws not a character with special powers. Ciri has character flaws.

Actually, from Time of Contempt, Ciri is the main protagonist.

Maybe, maybe not. I think we can agree that she is the by far most important person in the witcher universe and basically every relevant faction want's something from her, which probably makes her to one of the biggest Mary Sue's ever.
Even if you consider her to be the protagonist of the last 4 books of the novel saga, there are still 4 books and 3 games with Geralt as the clear protagonist and the word is disrespectful, but looking at scholdarr's quote from the german article, nikolas didn't describe him as a "vessel" so it's pointless do discuss. He just said that Ciri is the main character in Witcher 3, which doesn't differ from the books.

Last edited:
Maybe, maybe not. I think we can agree that she is the by far most important person in the witcher universe and basically every relevant faction want's something from her, which probably makes her to one of the biggest Mary Sue's ever written.
Even if you consider her to be the protagonist of the last 4 books of the novel saga, there are still 4 books and 3 games with Geralt as the clear protagonist and the word is disrespectful, but looking at scholdarr's quote from the german article, nikolas didn't describe him as a "vessel" so it's pointless do discuss. He just said that Ciri is the main character in Witcher 3, which doesn't differ from the books.

Again, no. a mary sue is not a character who is important to the plot and factions. Thats a mcuffin. a mary sue is more is a character who is beloved by everyone by just how wonderful and amazing he is. Ciri was not beloved by everyone. alot of characters found her annoying brat in the novels.

Maybe, maybe not. I think we can agree that she is the by far most important person in the witcher universe and basically every relevant faction want's something from her, which probably makes her to one of the biggest Mary Sue's ever.

Well since you seem to have already read all books could you tell me whether Ciri is truly the main protagonist in last 4 books or she's something more akin to second protagonist while of course still being of imense importance to everyone because of the powers she wields?

I kinda have this impression that many people here are perhaps too big fans of her and because of it they are exaggerating her importance in books (for example they completely neglect fact that in Last Wish,which for now is the only book I read,Geralt is an obvious and absolute main protagonist)?

Ciri can be viewed as a human McGuffin, but she's hardly a Mary Sue. While the exact definitions for a Mary Sue vary, simply being powerful or a focus of many people's goals is not enough to qualify. What defines a Mary Sue is a discrepancy between how they are described, what they actually do and how the world reacts to them. If you can recognise good guys in a story from the fact that they love a character, even though she has done nothing to earn their affection, If people around her become inexplicably stupid just so that she can look smart in comparison, if the rules of the world shift around her to prove her right or make her succeed, then you're probably looking at a Mary Sue.

Well since you seem to have already read all books could you tell me whether Ciri is truly the main protagonist in last 4 books or she's something more akin to second protagonist while of course still being of imense importance to everyone because of the powers she wields?

She has about 50% of coverage in the last three books in the pentalogy, on par with Geralt.

And honestly she doesn't hold much actual power in the books...quite the opposite. For the most time she ist very vulnerable.

Guest 3782876

You can divide between protagonist and main character.
Ciri would be the main character and Geralt the protagonist.

Again, no. a mary sue is not a character who is important to the plot and factions. Thats a mcuffin. a mary sue is more is a character who is beloved by everyone by just how wonderful and amazing he is. Ciri was not beloved by everyone. alot of characters found her annoying brat in the novels.
Well, I googled the exact definition of "Mary Sue", and according to german wikipedia one if the characteristics is that she attracts attention from every faction, which Ciri does like no other character. Nilfgaard, the Northern Kings, the Witchers, The lodge, Vilgefortz, the Emperor, Yennefer. the Wild Hunt
Additionaly she is extraordinary powerful, a (half or whatever you call her)witcheress, a princess, a sorceress, the daughter of the most powerful man in the witcher world. No matter what you call her. I don't think she is a particulary well written character.

If you don't know the pentalogy and only the short stories just some background information about the structure of the books:

The books usually offer different perspectives, comparable to Martin's ASOIAF but to a lesser extend. So sometimes you follow Ciri's story, sometimes you follow Geralt's story, sometimes you follow Dandelion's story, sometimes you follow shorter stories of 2nd grade characters. That way Sapkoswki presents his world and story from different angles and enables us to experience different events at different locations and times.

Since Ciri and what happens to her are quite important in the pentalogy a lot of the chapters/parts are indeed about her and not about Geralt. Geralt's "presence" in the later books of the pentalogy is actually a whole lot lower than in the short stories. He's still the main protagonist but it's not all just about him and his journey.

Top Bottom