2nd PLAYABLE character confirmed as Ciri

+

2nd PLAYABLE character confirmed as Ciri

• Total voters
Besides, didn't even Blacha call her a Mary Sue? I thought we had the same discussion some months ago

She has about 50% of coverage in the last three books in the pentalogy, on par with Geralt.

And honestly she doesn't hold much actual power in the books...quite the opposite. For the most time she ist very vulnerable.

That. And she probably has even more coverage than Geralt in Lady of the Lake. FRankly, the witcher almost feels like a figurant in that book, until the last section at least. But to be fair at this point in the saga there isn't any real main character anymore. The battle of Brenna, for instance, is described in detail without starring any of the main character of the saga (unless you count Yarpen Zigrin as such, and I can't even remember if Zoltan was there).

So overall Geralt is an dominant and obvious protagonist in first 4 books but in later ones he shares spotlight with other characters (mostly Ciri) and in worst case scenarion for our Witcha he gets 50/50 in Lady of the Lake.

Hmmmm.....hardly a vessel.

Anyway...after Witcher 3 we will see what happens.Something tells me that CD Projekt Red might try Elder Scrolls style rpg set in Witcher world with classes and make your own character.Once they are done with Cyberpunk 2077 of course and 2018 would be my estimate.Also we are I'm afraid deeply in off topic waters.There might be 'harpies' lurking around cough moderators cough :p

Last edited:
So, yeah guys, massive MASSIVE spoiler for you guys so you can stop arguing and such :D

Yes you can travel the world after the main campaign because Geralt dies and you take over Ciri a la Red Dead Redemption ending style, except Ciri uses her magic to draw all the knowledge from Geralt before he passes away in an unfortunate event. So she technically is a Witcher but not exactly a witcher :p.. This then leads us to TW4 with Ciri :D sooo yeah... sorry for spoiler, but hey, you chose to click ;)

remember, its not about knowing the destination, but about HOW you get to your destination ;)

Well, I googled the exact definition of "Mary Sue", and according to german wikipedia one if the characteristics is that she attracts attention from every faction, which Ciri does like no other character. Nilfgaard, the Northern Kings, the Witchers, The lodge, Vilgefortz, the Emperor, Yennefer. the Wild Hunt
Additionaly she is extraordinary powerful, a (half or whatever you call her)witcheress, a princess, a sorceress, the daughter of the most powerful man in the witcher world. No matter what you call her. I don't think she is a particulary well written character.

Exactly why I called her a Mary Sue... she is not a typical one like, say, Bella from Twilight or Nancy Drew, but she has many qualifying traits. I was prone to writing Mary Sue NPCs in my pen and paper adventures when I was younger, I know one when I see one. ;)

So, yeah guys, massive MASSIVE spoiler for you guys so you can stop arguing and such

remember, its not about knowing the destination, but about HOW you get to your destination

I love you. 'cause I've suggested the exact same thing ;)

I would laugh so much if CDPR actually pull that off! But they need to give her a proper skill tree, dialogs and all for that to work so... I wouldn't bet my life on it ;)

Your post acutally amuses me quite a lot. You really believe in this nerd stuff, discussing which superhero or whoever would win theoretical fight X? ;)

A (good) writer can let everbody win every fight and everyone die every minute.
I'm glad you are amused sire :)
And yes I am a nerd, and I do not deny it like many do. I think it is safe to say all of us are nerds here, because we take time out of our day to come to these forums and discuss fantasy.
I actually am not a big fan of anything related to superheroes (except for Batman, I'm not sure if he is even considered a superhero), and I do not see Geralt nor Ciri to be superheroes. That's one of the reasons why I like the Witcher.
I actually enjoyed our short discussion, and I always enjoy having the pleasure of discussing the Witcher with a fellow Witcher fan.

I acually like her and my Geralt will do whatever is best for her in Wild Hunt. I would just prefer not to play as her or at least not 5-10 hours without any customization and progression.

I heard in one of the videos Peter saying she will grow stronger dont forget she is a mix of witcher with sorceress that cant be bad... maybe some very cool spells?

I heard in one of the videos Peter saying she will grow stronger dont forget she is a mix of witcher with sorceress that cant be bad... maybe some very cool spells?

True, she will acquire (or rather start using) more powerful powers as the story progresses... for starters, her dodge is a short range teleport, which looks really cool. Still, bummer she doesn't have an inventory and/or can use different gear, at least.

You are betting on a fight.
Fighter 1: You are told that he was mutated to be faster and stronger, has 80 years of fighting experience, and he is famous to be one if not the best swordsmen alive.
Fighter 2: You are told that she is not mutated, she is in her 20s, and she was talented with a sword as a child.

Anyone who is reasonable would bet on fighter 1, because based on a logical analysis and statistics there is a much higher possibility that fighter 1 would win.

Of course circumstances play a role, and things can go wrong.
But what are the chances of that happening ?
Are you willing to risk 10,000$ on the fact that things might go wrong for fighter 1 ?

Even if You factor emotions into the fight, I assure you Geralt has the advantage. He is a Witcher, and Witchers are said to be emotionless. I actually disagree that Witchers are emotionless, but I think the superstition comes from the fact that they are trained to be emotionless while killing. Geralt has lived for at least 90 years, but on the other hand you have a girl in her 20s with hormones raging in her body. I am sure Geralt is more emotionally stable than Ciri, and he has had more experience with controlling his emotions due to 80 years of fighting.

Geralt was not defeated by the peasant in his last fight, and he easily defeated the peasant and could have killed him on the spot. He was killed after he won the fight because he spared the peasants life. We are talking about Geralt fighting Bonhart, and what would the result of the fight be. We are not talking what would happen if Geralt spared Bonhart's life after he defeated him.

Geralt going against Vilgefortz is like a swordsman going against someone who is equipped with a machine gun. Mages have long range attacks. geralt defeated Vilgefortz with the help of Yennefer, who is a mage herself. And as far as I remember Bonhart was no a mage, and he was a good old regular human.

Also in a conversation Yennefer told Bonhart that him fighting Geralt would be like a kitten fighting a wolf. You might argue that she was biased, but at the end of the day I do not think she wanted to encourage Bonhart to fight Geralt if she was unsure that Geralt could take him. Yen is a very smart woman, and she knows that she could not scare Bonhart with her statement.

Witchers are the closest things to a robot you get. They are trained to be emotionless, they are born with one purpose, and the purpose is killing. but that's besides the point.

I still think that CDPR is nerfing Geralt, but I respect other people's opinions. So you have a fucking break from me :)

Forgot to mention Fighter 2: bad ass sorceress

She looked like she played clunky when I saw the 30 seconds of that Polish dude playing as her, but the IGN video looks great. Chaining that blink move into attacks looks fucking awesome and I know when I'm in control of her I'll make it look/feel even better.

I also have to say that her combat grunts and that, "Quick, Hide", it was such a short moment, but the VA sounded spot-on. I could hear that little girlish twang behind the voice.

I know often I come off as really negative of Ciri, but ultimately I'm still interested to have her as part of the story, and watching that IGN video has really lifted my spirits about how she is going to play.

Forgot to mention Fighter 2: bad ass sorceress
Well the original argument was about Ciri being faster with swords vs Geralt.
I was not trying to conclude that Geralt would kill Ciri if they fought.
If I'm not mistaken she had lost her powers when she fought Bonhart.

Turns out Ciri doesn't really look to be any faster than Geralt aside from her blink move, which is pretty cool.

I'd love to be able to play with her as a main second character like Geralt and do open world quests and exploration with her.

Turns out Ciri doesn't really look to be any faster than Geralt aside from her blink move, which is pretty cool.

Her swordplay actually looks a bit slower/weaker then Geralt's, which makes sense... I guess she'll make it up with magical abilities.

So, yeah guys, massive MASSIVE spoiler for you guys so you can stop arguing and such :D

Yes you can travel the world after the main campaign because Geralt dies and you take over Ciri a la Red Dead Redemption ending style, except Ciri uses her magic to draw all the knowledge from Geralt before he passes away in an unfortunate event. So she technically is a Witcher but not exactly a witcher :p.. This then leads us to TW4 with Ciri :D sooo yeah... sorry for spoiler, but hey, you chose to click ;)

remember, its not about knowing the destination, but about HOW you get to your destination ;)

Imagine how much voice-acting is in the sidequests. For both Geralt and the other NPCs. Got that? Now imagine having to redo all of that, only now with Ciri. If the mental image is making your head feel like it's about to violently explode, then you're on the right track.

On the other hand, that's a whole lot of Jo Wyatt for me... but at what cost?

Well, I googled the exact definition of "Mary Sue", and according to german wikipedia one if the characteristics is that she attracts attention from every faction, which Ciri does like no other character. Nilfgaard, the Northern Kings, the Witchers, The lodge, Vilgefortz, the Emperor, Yennefer. the Wild Hunt
Additionaly she is extraordinary powerful, a (half or whatever you call her)witcheress, a princess, a sorceress, the daughter of the most powerful man in the witcher world. No matter what you call her. I don't think she is a particulary well written character.

So? wikipedia is shit, they constantly confuse terms. like i said what you described is a mcguffin. not the same as mary sue.

That she is powerful means nothing. many characters are incredibly powerful. Achilles from the illiad was very powerful and amazing, was he a gary stu? no because he had character flaws like pride, short tempered, etc Ciri also had flaws ergo not Mary sue. And i disagree. Ciri was a round character that grew and changed throughout the novels. Plus i think she added to Geralts characterization.

Well, Mary Sue Macguffin Ciri is to some degree both. The two are different but by no means mutually exclusive. Ciri as portrayed in the game will have to demonstrate substantial character to avoid the labels.

Macguffin: Popularized by Hitchcock. Someone or something, the presence of which serves to advance the story. Frequently, something everybody wants. The Maltese Falcon is the prototypical Macguffin. Here, it's Ciri's womb.

Mary Sue: Coined by Paula Smith, in parodies of Star Trek fan fiction. A character who's impossibly accomplished at everything important to the story. Like Ciri. Now it often means a character inserted by the author in an act of self-identifying wish fulfillment. Maybe the best example is Dumas fils, La Dame aux camélias, a Mary Sue meets Marty Stu pairing if ever there was one.

If Ciri is a Mary Sue, then Geralt is even more. Come on... She tends to be an annoying little brat, almost constantly on the run, she got captured and beaten and had to be rescued many times, and her magic is not even that great most of the time despite her natural abilities. She's nothing like a Mary Sue, nothing.

Top Bottom