Witcher 2 fps drops

+
And your screenshot coloring looks way different than mine... ENB has nothing to do with that... Did I install a high res pack hmmm (unless EE installs dif textures...)
@sidspyker are you wood plank redish like mine or like his screenshot? maybe time of day I reached that portion? That coloring dif just struck me as odd...

I've been seeing exactly the same thing, and have also been trying to find out why.
I7 3770K, not overclocked. I'm not seeing excessive CPU usage. No special settings. HDD similar to yours.

I'd like to see a solution for TW2, but at the moment I'm not overconcerned about TW3 as I think it seems to be related to the streaming, it's whenever the icon spins for it loading something? Is that the same for you, or does it also happen in combat, or other places where you're NOT running around for one place to another?
I
It may speed up me getting SDD though.

Do you have 970 as well?

Never been red, always yellow, can confirm having seen the same from 3 different videocards :p something on your end @Phalzyr.

@dasega I have an SSD now(just got 2-3 days ago) but I'm not using it for Witcher 2 so that's not an issue, HDDs generally aren't. I think it's something with your GPU or GPU settings, are your Nvidia Control Panel settings default or did you mess with them?

Do you have 970 as well?

Yes.

I'm not sure, after reading the thread, that my problem is the same as yours though. Mine is very specific to the loading, same places every time. The places where the snake spins...

So I'm backing out of this one, as I can't offer useful advice.

Never been red, always yellow, can confirm having seen the same from 3 different videocards :p something on your end @Phalzyr.

@dasega I have an SSD now(just got 2-3 days ago) but I'm not using it for Witcher 2 so that's not an issue, HDDs generally aren't. I think it's something with your GPU or GPU settings, are your Nvidia Control Panel settings default or did you mess with them?
Tried both default and tweaked, no effect, will update GPU BIOS this evening maybe it will halp

---------- Updated at 10:40 AM ----------

There is hundreds forums on this topic " gtx 970 fps drops" many people on the other hand have no problems, maybe it's faulty GPU batch

Last edited:
maybe it's faulty GPU batch
Just FYI: Reinstalled from scratch and just patches get same results 75FPS without and around 30 with uber (with fighters on screen), though coloring is back to normal (I guess i did install a graphics back prob "Better Texture Environment" one...)

Hope your Bios update goes well...

EDIT: After fight recreating your screenshot I was hovering around 120FPS...

---------- Updated at 07:21 AM ----------

maybe it's faulty GPU batch
It does seem to be system specific... Know anyone close that has 970 that works fine and doesn't mind switching with you? :D Ideal way to see whether it is something else in system or card itself...

Last edited:
Hi,

when trying to play Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings, on my rig, a Lenovo P52, whose specs are:

CPU: Intel Core i7-8850H
GPU: Quadro P3200 with Max-Q Design
RAM: 16GB DDR4 SDRAM PC4-21300
Secondary monitor (where I play the game from): Dell S2417DG with G-Sync
SSD: Samsung 970 PRO NVME

yet even on medium spec, the frame rate drops heavily when more than 4 NPCs total, be it enemies, allies, etc. show up in Geralt's vicinity. How can this be fixed?

Last edited:
Hi,

on my rig, a Lenovo P52, whose specs are:

CPU: Intel Core i7-8850H
GPU: Quadro P3200 with Max-Q Design
RAM: 16GB DDR4 SDRAM PC4-21300
Secondary monitor (where I play the game from): Dell S2417DG with G-Sync
SSD: Samsung 970 PRO NVME

yet even on medium spec, the frame rate drops heavily when more than 4 NPCs total, be it enemies, allies, etc. show up in Geralt's vicinity. How can this be fixed?

Did you try disabling Gsync? Limiting the framerate can also help.

Also, you might want to check out some of the existing threads with suggestions:

Did you try disabling Gsync? Limiting the framerate can also help.

Also, you might want to check out some of the existing threads with suggestions:
I see you replied with Witcher III links; I was referring to Witcher 2; perhaps my post (which I edited to include that its W2, not W3WH - I play that on PS4) shoulda been more specific on that, but this topic IS W2, hence why I posted here.

I see you replied with Witcher III links; I was referring to Witcher 2; perhaps my post (which I edited to include that its W2, not W3WH - I play that on PS4) shoulda been more specific on that, but this topic IS W2, hence why I posted here.

Mostly irrelevant, as fixes for performance issues will be largely the same, regardless of the game. Be sure to try the steps listed there, as that covers the basics.

Especially for older titles, it may require you to do some heavy tweaking to get things running well on hardware and operating systems they were not designed for. In addition to the links, if having issues with legacy titles, try disabling features to put older games into the operating environments that existed back at that point:

1.) Disable things like G-Sync / FreeSync and GPU "optimizations".

2.) Running the game in compatibility mode through Windows. I personally recommend trying Windows 7 (SP2) first -- that one seems to get good results if a game is being stubborn.

3.) If you're on a laptop, be sure you are plugged in. Performance can drop by around 50% if trying to run demanding games on a battery. Also, it's very common for games to default to a laptop's onboard video instead of a GPU. Use the Nvidia Control Panel to force it to recognize only the Quadro.

4.) You have a Quadro. :) That's more of a productivity model GPU made for rendering, not really a gaming GPU. While they will usually work fine, some titles need a specific driver version or some tweaking to the GPU settings to work well. You might want to hit the Nvidia Forums for your card and see if there are any solutions there.

Mostly irrelevant, as fixes for performance issues will be largely the same, regardless of the game. Be sure to try the steps listed there, as that covers the basics.

Especially for older titles, it may require you to do some heavy tweaking to get things running well on hardware and operating systems they were not designed for. In addition to the links, if having issues with legacy titles, try disabling features to put older games into the operating environments that existed back at that point:

1.) Disable things like G-Sync / FreeSync and GPU "optimizations".

2.) Running the game in compatibility mode through Windows. I personally recommend trying Windows 7 (SP2) first -- that one seems to get good results if a game is being stubborn.

For disabling G-Sync, should I instead use ULMB or Fixed Refresh? Also, call it a n00b question, but what does this affect V-Sync?

Also, if I put into compatibility, should I also have G-Sync disabled? What pertinent Nvidia Control Panel settings should I have for this?

Last edited:
Top Bottom