Nvidia HairWorks

+
these screens are with HW off dude

And how you're saying that with such surety ? Does Geralt looks like this with HairWorks ?

it could be quite easy to optimize that feature...developper could activate it from close distance and disable it on far characters

That's the LOD system, it wasn't present in FC4 (at least on HairWorks) because 5 - 6 wolves in the far distance with HairWorks can slow down your game to 20 fps.

That's the LOD system, it wasn't present in FC4 (at least on HairWorks) because 5 - 6 wolves in the far distance with HairWorks can slow down your game to 20 fps.

Not sure if LOD applies to Hair Works/Tressfx, since the rendering seams to be happening whenever hair is on screen, no matter the distance... still, right now, the system is still not much more then a gimmick to me, so if it impacts performance too much (I don't own a 980), I will simply turn it off.

Someone got a video WITH TIMESTAMP to share what exactly is being referred to?

With great pleasure :) @sidspyker

January build
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sil3QCDJACU#t=7m37s Watch carefully when Geralt pass through the door. And after that when he walk in soldiers camp.
Or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sil3QCDJACU#t=6m36s

Youtubers build and Nvidia behind scene video
And now This.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfGFU2XPLr4#t=0m58s
Or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJpWBMH9EtQ#t=40m36s

Not sure if LOD applies to Hair Works/Tressfx, since the rendering seams to be happening whenever hair is on screen, no matter the distance... still, right now, the system is still not much more then a gimmick to me, so if it impacts performance too much (I don't own a 980), I will simply turn it off.

It might not be that bad in TW3, they are optimizing it from quite sometime and from what I have seen by downloading Nvidia HairWorks demo, it offers several factors to improve performance such as hair density. I don't know if it's possible but maybe they can reduce hair density over distance and the amount they are affected by external forces like wind so they don't look weird and as we close the gap they gradually set those factors back to normal.

Regardless of that they said that with a 980 they manage to keep 60 fps most of the time with ultra settings so I assume that includes HairWorks.

it wasn't present in FC4 (at least on HairWorks) because 5 - 6 wolves in the far distance with HairWorks can slow down your game to 20 fps.

ubisoft dude :D

---------- Updated at 12:39 PM ----------

Not sure if LOD applies to Hair Works/Tressfx, since the rendering seams to be happening whenever hair is on screen, no matter the distance

yeah but actually it's a stupid idea to render something that is not visible,or render a full effect of this kind on objects that are not visible,or far less detailed than closer objects... ;)

Recently HairWorks was shown on Horse hairs and they look beautiful.
It was actually shown all the way back at E3 2014. Surprised so few people noticed it, if at all.
https://a.pomf.se/ikdsvt.webm

Look at how smooth and flowing it is (And that Griffin!), the non-hairworks horse hair we've seen after this looks awful in comparison.
The non-hairworks horse hair looks pretty bad in general if I'm being honest. I feel it could have been executed a bit better, because Geralt's non-hairworks hair actually looks great.

Last edited:
Select characters and objects, all would be ridiculous taxing. However CDPR is using their own hair tech for others anyway so those that aren't HairWorks won't look 'crap'.

Wrong.

It all depends on distance and camera angles. I don't think we'll see too many characters in cinematics that are very close to you and have simulated hair on all of them but when looking at Tomb Raider with Tress FX or Call of Duty Ghosts with Hairworks it all depends on the distance.

If the camera is close to a single character then the performance hit can be big, but if it's a reasonable distance, say a third person camera, then it's going to be quite low.

In Tomb Raider on an Nvidia 670 even with Tress FX I was running the game on mostly max settings at 50+ FPS outside of cinematics or when I wasn't zooming in for precision shots with my weapons.

The non-hairworks horse hair looks pretty bad in general if I'm being honest. I feel it could have been executed a bit better, because Geralt's non-hairworks hair actually looks great.

They focused a lot on making Geralt's hair look good without Hairworks.

Last edited:
Speaking of Hairworks.... i am more interested in:

Is NVidia Physx a Global ON /OFF and can we choose which particular Physx feature we
want to have in the game? But well that might be a good question for the upcoming Q/A too

Even so Physx isn t behind the Hairworks feature at all.
THX @sidspyker for the get me that info ;)

I guess. I would deactivate Hairworks for example, but might have more particles instead ;) heheheh
We will see.

LOL i was just going to ask the same thing i want to know more about the Physx on witcher 3 than the hair thingy specific

It was actually shown all the way back at E3 2014. Surprised so few people noticed it, if at all.
https://a.pomf.se/ikdsvt.webm

Look at how smooth and flowing it is (And that Griffin!), the non-hairworks horse hair we've seen after this looks awful in comparison.

Man... Sorry but you guys are so much into old stuff that you can't focus on anything else. Okay I don't keep track of every single video these days because I want to avoid looking too much but this is shown recently.

Some member here can help point out the actual video because I just found it through Google but I know it's shown recently and this is how Horse hairs look with HairWorks.

Man... Sorry but you guys are so much into old stuff that you can't focus on anything else. Okay I don't keep track of every single video these days because I want to avoid looking too much but this is shown recently.

Some member here can help point out the actual video because I just found it through Google but I know it's shown recently and this is how Horse hairs look with HairWorks.

Probably this one (around 2min mark):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfGFU2XPLr4

I downloaded hairworks and tried the demo scene that came with it which has a wolf-like creature in it and it was pretty intense and the fps was way below 30 when I ran the animation and that was just one character with the hair in the scene, no scenery, no houses and so on.

So I guess no hair for me which sucks since I LOVE digital hair : )

Also if anybody here is a 3D hobbyist like me and likes creating hairstyles with Maya/Hairworks, do let me know! I´d love to see your work!

Uhh.. Excuse me? I was just pointing out it was already shown off a good while ago, what's with the attitude?

Sorry if I sounded off, didn't meant that. I was only saying that while some old stuff looks great the newer one isn't far behind and most of it looks improved/better. The HairWorks I was referring to is the one shown in this behind the scenes video and to be honest it looks great.

Far Cry 4 has fur but with no physics and movement no? didnt move on my pc
You have to set the "Fur" option to "simulated" in the graphics menu of Far Cry 4 to enable it.
And, hell it looks absolutly awesome

edit: Corrected my statement, thanks to tahiramed

Last edited:
You need an Nvidia GPU (obviously) and you have to set the "Fur" option to "simulated" in the graphics menu of Far Cry 4 to enable it.
And, hell it looks absolutly awesome

Absolutely wrong.

HairWorks work on AMD GPUs just fine like TressFX works on Nvidia GPUs.

How I know ? : Tried several times on my R9 290.

EDIT:

I downloaded hairworks and tried the demo scene that came with it which has a wolf-like creature in it and it was pretty intense and the fps was way below 30 when I ran the animation and that was just one character with the hair in the scene, no scenery, no houses and so on.

So I guess no hair for me which sucks since I LOVE digital hair : )

Also if anybody here is a 3D hobbyist like me and likes creating hairstyles with Maya/Hairworks, do let me know! I´d love to see your work!

You must be talking about Manjaladon demo, it's a tech demo showcasing HairWorks in great detail and thus very demanding. In game performance is much more optimized and better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom