Preorder

+
I came across this seems like a great deal

any thougts guys?

Last edited by a moderator:
G2A are notorious for selling illegitimate keys or otherwise acquired through shady means. Link removed.

Thought's on PSN store? Anyone getting it from there? Was thinking about just getting it digitally there.

My main platform is Steam, almost all my games are there. Both Witcher games (which I also activated on GOG using cd key) are there.
Witcher 3 is the first game I am going to pre-order.
What I`m curious about, how big of a cut is Valve taking from steam sales? CDPR being my favorite dev, I really care about supporting them.
Although steam is my preferred platform, I would consider pre ordering via GOG if it meant significantly more $ to CDPR.
Any info about valve cut?
Also, included extra goodies on each platform don`t matter to me much.

My main platform is Steam, almost all my games are there. Both Witcher games (which I also activated on GOG using cd key) are there.
Witcher 3 is the first game I am going to pre-order.
What I`m curious about, how big of a cut is Valve taking from steam sales? CDPR being my favorite dev, I really care about supporting them.
Although steam is my preferred platform, I would consider pre ordering via GOG if it meant significantly more $ to CDPR.
Any info about valve cut?
Also, included extra goodies on each platform don`t matter to me much.

Valve takes around 30% of the price usually. So if you want to support developers better, buy on GOG. Plus you support CDPR and DRM-free distribution when you buy anything on GOG.

Valve takes around 30% of the price usually. So if you want to support developers better, buy on GOG. Plus you support CDPR and DRM-free distribution when you buy anything on GOG.

True, just note that between distributors and retailers, the markup on physical copies is much greater. If you must have the game on Steam, Valve's markup (about 43% vs. brick-and-mortar retail 500%) is relatively reasonable.

Valve does get the licenses they resell at a 30% discount. If you convert that to markup, they are charging 43% more than what they paid. For physical copies, everybody that handles the copy gets a discount or charges a markup. By the time the entire chain down to the retailer has taken their pound of flesh, CDPR gets about 16 cents on the dollar.

Last edited:
@GuyNwah: Is markup calculated from the share that developer gets? I.e. if developer gets 20¢ out of $1 for each sale, then price is 500% of the received share. Is that markup? I thought markup means a difference between the cost of production and the sale price (which can be expressed in percentage of one of them).

Markup and discount percentages are standard business arithmetic. Both can be used to express the same transaction, in different terms.

Markup, you buy at 100% and sell at (100% + markup). Discount, you buy at (100% - discount) and sell at 100%.

They're not equal, and it has to be clear which one you are using. For example, a 25% markup and a 20% discount represent the same ratio ( 125 / 100 vs. 100 / 80 ).

Usually, you use markup to figure your selling price vs. cost of goods sold, stating your markup as ( other costs + profit ) / cost of goods sold. It's also useful to use markup when analyzing a chain of distribution, since the arithmetic is easier than it is with discounts. Two entities each taking a 50% markup gives a (150% x 150% - 100% ) = 125% markup.

You use discounts in negotiating, buying and selling. If you're a retailer, you ask for a discount; if you're a distributor or wholesaler, you offer one. Thus Valve demands, and gets, a 30% discount on licenses they resell; and makes a 43% markup when they sell them.

Financial institutions have another, deliberately misleading, use of discount percentage, but that's even further off topic.

Markup, you buy at 100% and sell at (100% + markup)

Ah, got it. I was thinking relatively to developers (i.e. their markup), and you meant relatively to retailers (their markup). I.e. for retailers "production cost" is "you buy from developers at" = "developers' share", and final price is "developers' share" + "retailer's markup" (which would be 500% indeed). But obviously for CDPR their markup (difference between the "cost of production" and "the price they sell to retailers for" is something different.

Last edited:
GuyNwah - accounting background? Cost of Goods Sold / Work in Progress accounts etc.
Reminds me of some cost (managerial) accounting courses I took. Or perhaps you have an MBA background etc. Anyways - thanks for reminding me of those courses ;)

GuyNwah - accounting background? Cost of Goods Sold / Work in Progress accounts etc.
Reminds me of some cost (managerial) accounting courses I took. Or perhaps you have an MBA background etc. Anyways - thanks for reminding me of those courses ;)

For your information, Guy basically knows everything ;)

True, just note that between distributors and retailers, the markup on physical copies is much greater. If you must have the game on Steam, Valve's markup (about 43% vs. brick-and-mortar retail 500%) is relatively reasonable.

Valve does get the licenses they resell at a 30% discount. If you convert that to markup, they are charging 43% more than what they paid. For physical copies, everybody that handles the copy gets a discount or charges a markup. By the time the entire chain down to the retailer has taken their pound of flesh, CDPR gets about 16 cents on the dollar.

Well goddamn...
I was so happy to support CDPR that i instantly pre ordered from steam thinking thats how i show my support for the DRM free epic game that they have delivered twice before ....

I know its my falt but - anyone know if i can ask refund from steam and get it from GOG ? Or do i need a proper reason ?

EDIT. Well never mind - apparently steam added option to refund an pre-order before the game is released. So im off to GoG.com.

Last edited:
Top Bottom