Will The Witcher 3 Retail also have a digital key/install

+
It wouldn't surprise me if the PC retail version came with a unique code that does nothing for now but may be used in the future e.g, GOG backup.

Don't use the word linked in this thread.

The expansion DLC is not stand alone. If you have the PC boxed version and you want the expansions then you can buy them from GOG.

Seeing as the boxed version is not an extension of Steam and the Steam version is a stand alone product, the expansions sold on Steam will only work with the Steam version of the base game.

Hopefully when the second expansion is released or the last ever expansion they have planned, then all the expansions and DLC can be sold in retail as an expansion pack.

So, the GOG expansions are not linked to any one boxed version of the base game.

---------- Updated at 11:57 PM ----------

It wouldn't surprise me if the PC retail version came with a unique code that does nothing for now but may be used in the future e.g, GOG backup.

I don't think The Witcher 3 PC retail version needs a backup code. Just buy it digitally if you need a digital backup.

The Witcher 1+2 backup program, I believe, was about getting more people onto GOG. We at a time now that The Witcher 3 awareness is at a all time high and GOG awareness is at a all time high. The Witcher 3 PC retail version doesn't need a backup code. CDPR only gets a small cut out of the retail price and still give a $50 digital product away, for nothing. I don't think it's going to happen.

Don't expect a backup code in the retail version. Expect the one retail version of the game.

So, the GOG expansions are not linked to any one boxed version of the base game.

And on the sales page says otherwise "The boxed PC version of the game is compatible only with the Expansion Pass sold on GOG.com" http://www.gog.com/game/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_expansion_pass

So add two plus two is easy ...

And on the sales page says otherwise "The boxed PC version of the game is compatible only with the Expansion Pass sold on GOG.com" http://www.gog.com/game/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_expansion_pass

But you need to make sure you don't add 2+2 and make 6.
All that means is exactly what it says. If you have the retail version of the game, you should buy the GOG version of any expansion packs you get.
After you buy the expansion pack, you download it and install it, which will link the expansion to your original game. There's still no linkage between that game and GOG.

So you want me to explain what I said. You use one line that you didn't understand what I was saying just to say something I already said. And then telling me to add two to two.

The expansions are not linked to any one game. That is what I said. So let me explain.

You create a GOG account and buy the expansions which is then linked to that one account. You then download the expansions and install them to the PC retail game.
You can then buy another game and use that same bought expansions on GOG, download and install to the newly bought game.
See not linked to any one game. I didn't think I would need to explain it. I didn't think someone would use my simple words to explain something I already said against me.

1+1x2? lol.

That is still a link. One to many, uni-directional perhaps... but to pretend there is no link is to redefine "link" to ignore many of the different forms of linkage that can exist.

You won't be playing the retail version on Steam, or linking it to a Steam expansion.

That is still a link. One to many, uni-directional perhaps... but to pretend there is no link is to redefine "link" to ignore many of the different forms of linkage that can exist.

You won't be playing the retail version on Steam, or linking it to a Steam expansion.

If you have the retail version of the game, the only linkage created that affects the main game is "You can't run the expansion pack unless the game is installed".

The game does not need to be linked, directly or indirectly, to GOG. If someone were to try to buy the expansion packs without already having the game, the most they should get is a big warning saying "YOU NEED TO OWN THE GAME". If they go ahread anyway, it shouldn't matter (Maybe they're buying for a friend who doesn't have a GOG account).

It may be possible at some point to link your retail version to the GOG account, but the expansion packs don't make it necessary

This is the whole quote:

The initial, pre-premiere retail PC batch of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt needs to download a file from our servers to allow play. This file will either be downloaded automatically during installation process or you can choose to download it manually from a dedicated website. Since we have no DRM in the game, this is a security measure we needed to incorporate so the game doesn’t leak during the production process. No worries, the file will not be big. Copies of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt produced after launch will not contain this security feature.

Also the key is not a serial, it's a GOG.com Witcher 3 key.

So, now the game is in retail we actually know how it works.
I have the physical CE and inside are the DVD's which you can use to install the game, but not yet play. There is a code inside that you have to use on GOG.com to download the day 1 patch, apply it and play. However, this code you use on GOG.com also gives you a digital copy of the whole game (so not only the patch) and this digital copy is also used for the expansion pass if you choose to buy it and the 16 free DLC they will release.
GOG.com is completely DRM free, so it's just a website with a bunch files (game files, patch files, DLC install files,...) So you can download all and install from your hard drive without ever using your DVD's.
However, GOG.com also has now a Steam-like client called GOG Galaxy. I'm using GOG Galaxy for quite a time now, so I never bothered with the DVD's in my physical CE of The Witcher 3. I entered the code I found in GOG Galaxy, game was in my game library, download, install, patches and DLC and good to go. Very Steam like. I recommend this to everyone with a physical copy unless you are allergic to clients like Steam. But then again, why were you asking for a digital copy anyway? :)
Cheers!

PS: I just find a bit disappointing CD Projekt Red didn't clearly communicatie about this. I bought an USB DVD-drive just to able to install this game, but afterwards it wasn't needed, because the physical copy does include a code you can use on GOG.com/GOG Galaxy.

Thank you so much for this reply, i was looking for information on this, I was wondering now so much about the retail boxes, because I pre ordered my CE from fnac but found out last week they on the 21 they botched up on the CE numbers and I was one of the unlucky few not to get them, and I got a email today, that as an apology for their screw up they would give me a 20€ discount on any gaming product from them, I was wondering today now if I bought a retail boxed version if I would get to be able to use the code on GOG like i did on my previous games, because I was going to buy it on GOG, as soon as they deposited my money back for the simple reason GOG version is better, but i was very pissed off cause i lost my rights on the CE and fnac was taking it's time to refund me. And now I was wondering if their apology would be worth it for my needs, E.G. buy the retail version get the code on GOG and the artbook extras or send them a not so polite mail about their service(not a first time offense) and buy it on GOG like I would.

Top Bottom