Artdesign: NPCs/Clothing

+
Artdesign: NPCs/Clothing

I haven't seen this being discussed here before so i thought i might give it its own thread. With the recently released 40 min. of awesome gameplay we have quite a bit of material we can go over, don't you think?
First of all i want to make one thing absolutely clear: I generally and genuinely fucking love the Artdesign of the Witcher games. I may have some small quibbles and criticisms here and there, some of which i will share here, but that doesn't change the fact, that the Witcher remains the most realistic, history based and downright glorious fantasy series i've ever seen. There is no other game that can compete with The witcher in that regard.

So here are a few things that i noticed:
- the "witch hunters" are seen severtal times in Novigrad. they look really cool and have small bits of armor as well as studded leather
- We have a lot of lower class NPCs, that look just fine and are very similar to what we are used to from TW2
- There are also a lot of more elegant looking people, looking similar to Louis Merse/ Arthur Tailles and the likes, but with more variety
- the dwarves are back, and they look exactly as they did in TW2 ( i loved them there) There's even one in Novigrad at a corner wearing the typical helmet plus chain mail
- we see several "thugs" during the footage in Novigrad that look a lot like what we've seen in the VGX-Trailer and some screenshots
- then there's a whole lot of people who look extremely flamboyant and extravagant, especially near the brothel but also in other areas. Their style is most certainly not anymore what we would probably consider "Medieval", rather Rennaissance-style ( paintings of Henry VIII (1491-1547) might be a reference there). A lot of them at least to me seem to be musicians/ performers of some sort. While this certainly fits the setting of this huge sprawling city i think it's a bit of an overkill with all the bulbous coloured pants and slashed garments. I wish they would have toned that rennaissance element down a little bit and instead kept it closer to the "late-Medieval style" from some of the concept art
http://www.kaermorhen.ru/uploads/images/The_Witcher_3_Wild_Hunt_City.jpg
http://www.gameguyz.com/sites/default/files/pictures_images/27.08.2013/1377591481_0.jpg
i wonder though, if the clothing of the npcs will vary between the districts of the city? would be nice :)
- and last but not least the guards, who were my biggest issue: they are very much the equivalent of the redanian medium soldiers of TW2, featuring steel breast-plate and steel greaves over a coloured gambeson. so far so good. I have to say though the helmes look weird to me. And they literally all look the same, was not able to notice even the smallest diversity of the Novigrad Guards, they really do all wear the exact same outfit. I find them to be too nice and noble looking, with all that colour and the very fine light pants. Their appearance would be fine for maybe a palace guard or similar, but certainly not some simple guardsman that guards the gates IMO. I wish CDPR would implement that sense of diversity and also hirarchy again that they had previously.
So we could have simple guards in cloth and mail, much like the guardsmen of Flotsam, higher rank soldiers or commanders who would wear the plate pieces like we saw here and then of course the heavy knights in different forms. Also, so far we've seen only guards carrying swords, i think it would be nice to see some spears/ halberds in there, especially for the guardsmen

share your thoughts, i'd like to hear them! =)

It seems this thread has lain almost totally neglected for a while, so, in light of recent screenshots of Geralt's mediaeval fashions, perhaps here is a good place to take up the discussion of clothes, costumes, colours, textiles, and the like. Remember, though, we already have an armour thread, and, while the stuff Geralt is wearing looks like light armour, this discussion needn't dwell on defence alone. Unfortunately, I don't have a great deal of time to-day to get the conversation started, but here are a few of the latest images, showing what the well-dressed Witcher is wearing this season:

A simple lozenge pattern in blue and white, for alarming the peasants.

Or, for more formal occasions, a variegated doublet in green and purple stripes.

For the explorer, a p
articoloured doublet, with loose-fit forest-green trousers.

And, for those special evenings in an enchanted garden, a cotehardie of understated hue, with sleeves in a modest puffed-and-slashed, delicate viniform embroidery, and pearl buttons.

To repeat my own words:

All my previous jokes aside, as a mediaevalist, I for one am very pleased to see more mediaevalesque clothing and armour! It makes such a refreshing change, after all hose years of badly researched apparel, and impractical armours in games. (I don't even want to think about some of the terribly unrealistic weapon-designs from earlier fantasy games!) While fashions from the Middle Ages may make us chuckle, or giggle, depending, I think it's valuable to catch a glimpse of them from time to time. I commend the developers for their choices in what I've seen so far, and eagerly look forward to more such details of armament and dress!

I appreciate the care and effort CD Projekt RED's Team has demonstrated in this regard.

---------- Updated at 12:55 PM ----------

Interesting. It seems people haven't much to say on the topic of clothes. Not even quips or criticisms. That is surprising for this Forum.

Attachments

• Doublet.jpg
    Doublet.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 90
  • Byzants.jpg
    Byzants.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 131
  • Stripes.jpg
    Stripes.jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 129
  • Parti.jpg
    Parti.jpg
    393.4 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Haven't seen anything I dislike. (I'd prefer if Geralt couldn't equip rigid armours without "fixing them" first at a smithy ~ probably easy enough to globally "break" all armour in a mod, slightly more tricky to only break "fitted" armours...).

This is because only flexible armours conform to different proportions correctly. That a relatively tall and lean witcher can don the armour of a shorter and stouter man at arms makes little sense. Even "fixing" isn't a perfect answer... as some should just not be feasible... but then that could be a PITA.

But wearing an armor night and day, walking in big cities like Novigrad or Oxenford doesn't really fit in the Witcher's world. Yes, the Grealt's preference for black leather jacket is part of the lore, but I don't remember that Geralt wearing ALWAYS black clothes. Yen is the black and whiate dressed character. Jaskier wears profuse embroidery and colored clothes.

If I were a hunter in the middle of the nature I'd wear all green, brown and yellows tonalities. But... who need to be so realistic or to close to the lore? And... who said that monsters have also these colors in their skins?

And yes, I'm very happy that CDPR designers have made this variety of clothes for Geralt, even this milked shirt/tunic. Fights downgrades weapons ... and clothes too :p

Since they've promised a wide variety or armours within each armour-class, it really seems the player will the have a fair selection from which to choose, this time. There'll be a few more in the DLCs as well, and the Expansions. Geralt will have quite a wardrobe by the time they're through.

It leads me to wonder about the armourers in the game, since we know there'll be common smiths and masters. I wonder if there are any who only craft light armours, like these in the above shots. In reality, the padded armour -- those gambesons, tabards, doublets, jerkins, and tunics -- require more skill with a needle than a hammer, after all.

Last edited:
Tailors will be required soon

If they're not already in the game. . . I mean, honestly, can you imagine a burly Dwarf blacksmith sewing a pair of particoloured striped trouser?

---------- Updated at 02:13 PM ----------

A few more shots of NPCs and their clothes:

Attachments

• At the races.jpg
    At the races.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Market.jpg
    Market.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Brothel.jpg
    Brothel.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Images are fine for me.

I wonder if there will be casual clothing available for Geralt or will it all be just armour?

I wonder if there will be casual clothing available for Geralt or will it all be just armour?

I believe there'll be some story/quest-sequences, where he puts on special clothes. I don't know about casual stuff, though. But, from the screenshots, it looks as though light armour will offer a more 'casual' fashion.

Last edited:

There's formal attire (you can choose from like 3 or 4 slightly different outfits in the Prologue) that you'll be required to wear at some points of the story, like when meeting Emhyr. And then there are just fancy clothes (doublets and such) that are considered light armor. You can wear those whenever you want.

The NPC are very well done in my opinion.
Yen, Emhyr, and the rest of the main cast also look good.

I really do not care about armor stats, and I go for the looks.
The Witcher 2's blue jacket, black leather pants, and these boots are still my all time favorite combo for Geralt, and I finished the game on Dark mode using them.

The Wolf armor or as I like to call it the Superman armor is too much for me.
This is by far my the best armor I've seen in the Witcher 3, so I'll stick to it until I find a better looking one.

Top Bottom