Pillars of Eternity

+
A rank of ~5 in Athletics is recommended for everyone, otherwise your party members suffer from fatigue way too fast.

Really? Why rank 5? I've only been going for rank 3 because of the -90% combat fatigue. Then again, I'm playing on "easy" so maybe my companions don't wear out as easily.

I'm playing on normal, and so far only my lower level character fatigues a bit too fast. I'll probably follow the advice and will bump everyone's athletics at least to 5 (and for the fighters - higher).

I don't think difficulty changes your exhaustion rate, but it does affect the number of enemies you find. I played on Hard and yes, 5 is a good value if you don't want to rest too often (specially considering on hard you can only carry two sets of camping supplies).

Last edited:
The most prominent new feature for me is: Crashing. Didn't have ONE crash in 65 hours, but now the game already froze twice upon loading a savegame / new area. Good thing I spam-save all the time.

The missing capes bug is still present.

---------- Updated at 07:02 PM ----------

One point in the game could really be implemented better. The stories which are shown for "reaching for the soul" of NPCs are contributed by backers if I understood correctly. They can be interesting, but without tying into the main story they are kind of too foreign. I.e. not memorable and not something that you'd pay attention to. So I guess it's a nice bonus for backers, but otherwise it's not very well integrated. They could at least somehow tie those into the story, to make them more relevant.

Yeah, I remember Angry Joe complaining about that in his youtube review. At first I didn't agree, because I liked reading the back-stories in Gilded Vale. But once I reached Defiance Bay and realized how repetitive it got I could see his point.

Since we're looking into people's past lives when we read their souls, maybe they could have integrated it better by making it so all the characters who can have their soul read are quest-givers, or at least unique NPCs you can talk to. That way we could get extra insight into their character and if we enjoyed the quest we might actually want to learn more about their past lives.

I lost interest in reading random souls shortly before Defiance Bay. Some are good, some... not so much.

What I think they could have done is having larger stories distributed among different people, instead of so many random mini stories. They should have made the soul stories more recognizable within our limited knowledge of Eora. For instance, perhaps some of those people had traces of souls that met Waidwen, and souls that were followers of Woedica. And only after interacting with several of them can we understand the larger picture.

I don't think turning these NPC's into quest givers is such a great idea. That might just result in a ton of menial tasks, unless they have lots of time to write meaningful content. And then again, why are they just hanging out with their thumbs up their asses instead of getting things done by themselves?

Perhaps quests or tasks could be generated once we have a better understanding of what several souls are trying to say. For instance, we gather information about the old soul of a villainous lord who once hurt many of the souls we talked to, and who is now hiding in a small cabin in the woods. We decide to pay him a visit and listen to what he has to say, and we may be able to give him a chance to make it up to the people he wronged, let him feel his victims' suffering, steal everything he's got, make him our prisoner, outright kill him, whatever. Maybe he knows something about a semi important quest and we can only gain enough influence if we know about his past. Just an idea.

Last edited:
Well, technically you can.
Just make sure that no one is in the same room or the approximate area (or within the character's visibility radius to be more precise) when you attempt to lift something.
Being able to pickpocket would be nice.

Well, technically you can.
Just make sure that no one is in the same room or the approximate area (or within the character's visibility radius to be more precise) when you attempt to lift something.
Being able to pickpocket would be nice.

Yeah I meant pick pocketing and stealing from vendors. I sure did raid some houses, I was playing a rogue after all.

Top Bottom