The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Gameplay + Q&A

+
I really liked the potential variety of builds, but I doubt I'll play many of them. It's a hundred hour game, but it seems clear that respeccing will be costly.

I like the active powers idea, and they seem to want you to experiment in this 100 hours, but even they don't know how many ability points you get. I'm sure there will be a number of different builds, but you are going to need to choose one at the beginning and stick with it, especially on higher difficulty settings.

Awesome livestream, with a lot of great information. My thanks to the you guys for putting that effort in.

I watched the stream actually live and the hype level is going through the roof now. I want to try out Mage-Geralt and Bombmaster-Geralt builds now!

So...you don't actually have a saddlebag. The saddlebag just increase you weight limits, but there isn't a storage on the horse...

I really liked the potential variety of builds, but I doubt I'll play many of them. It's a hundred hour game, but it seems clear that respeccing will be costly.

I like the active powers idea, and they seem to want you to experiment in this 100 hours, but even they don't know how many ability points you get. I'm sure there will be a number of different builds, but you are going to need to choose one at the beginning and stick with it, especially on higher difficulty settings.

Yeah, watching that really quell some of my fear over whether every build would end up feeling "samey" since we could only slot 12 skills. That gave me an appreciation for how much depth there is to combat system and how much control you are given to fine tune your build.

I liked the combat on Death Match difficutly and the comparison to the 2nd? lowest difficulty. Looks like it will be really challening. My biggest fear is that the game will be too easy even on the highest difficulty like Witcher 1 and 2. What I have seen gives me hope that it won't be the case with Witcher 3.

I think that was the lowest mode.

Last edited:
I'm disappointed that they didn't show how riposte works.

But I think they did. The difference between a parry and a riposte has to do with how you time it.

If you hold down the parry button - you will parry;
If you press the button right as an enemy's attack is about to hit - you will riposte, either shoving or kicking the enemy.

@Kinley
I believe that is simple counter, but there is skill in defense tree that upgrades it: Counterattack: Next attack after successful counterattack deals increased damage by +30% for every level of skill.
Or is there ?
So you are telling there is no special animations for riposte anymore ? And we have only "shoulder push" which can be followed by simple attack ?
That's a bummer then.

@Kinley
I believe that is simple counter, but there is skill in defense tree that upgrades it: Counterattack: Next attack after successful counterattack deals increased damage by +30% for every level of skill.
Or is there ?
So you are telling there is no special animations for riposte anymore ? And we have only "shoulder push" which can be followed by simple attack ?
That's a bummer then.

No idea if upgrading your counterattack unlocks new animations to be honest. But I believe it will be tied to the same system, timing your parries correctly.

There are definitely new animations linked to Whirlwhind and Smashing attack. We saw them used in the play.

I'd hazard that many skills result in new animations.

But I think they did. The difference between a parry and a riposte has to do with how you time it.

If you hold down the parry button - you will parry;
If you press the button right as an enemy's attack is about to hit - you will riposte, either shoving or kicking the enemy.

That would be a simple counter-attack. A riposte is done with the sword. I didn't see any "riposte" skill in the combat tree.... that would be really a pity. I loved TW2 riposte. Why did they remove it?

Did I miss the stream? if not how many hours still?

edit: shit I hate time differences .. I guess I found out on my own. Ignore this post or delete it or whatever.

Last edited:
That would be a simple counter-attack. A riposte is done with the sword. I didn't see any "riposte" skill in the combat tree.... that would be really a pity. I loved TW2 riposte. Why did they remove it?
Riposte is still in the game, as reported by several previewers. It's not an unlockable skill, it's just there.

It is "counterattack" too as an unlockable. I think that advanced animations exist for the active skills, as well as the defaults open from the start.

Top Bottom