after this game CD Projekt Red will become the Ultimate RPG compnay

+
Can't. You're too far away for this *$&&% Nurgle-blasted catapult to reach.

Don't really want to go into the "what is an RPG" argument here, but I will say that CDPR has gotten closer to simulating my PnP RPG experience than any other developer, offhand.

Of course, I do tend to play gritty, mean PnP games where my character, ( and generally everyone else's) is gritty, mean and dooommedmed.

As opposed to something like Divinity Original Sin or Pillars of Eternity, which was a..group..simulator? I guess? It didn't replicate my fellow players or give me a fix on playing my character, though.

Which to me is central to Role Playing and why CDPR took the crown from Troika and Vampire Bloodlines: I felt like I was role-playing Geralt. Even if it was that pesky Third Person which kept jerking me out of his head.

I agree that The Witcher gets many things right, and some of its RP elements are more authentic than most other games. But my main complaint is the lack of role playing opportunities when it comes to certain types of conflict resolution. Especially in TW2, everything is geared towards combat, and transforming Geralt into some sort of killing machine. On the other hand, the story feels truly dynamic and the world substantially reactive.

Other games (not many really) let you rely on intelligence or coercion to avoid or reduce many combat situations. Pillars of Eternity and PS:T for instance offer many unique dialogue options based on your character's personality. Most TW3 material we've seen, shows two or three options. Perhaps these two options lead to dramatically different results though, like Flotsam burns or Flotsam celebrates.

I personally enjoy RPGs, among many reasons, because they tend to be open ended and allow me to interact with the world in different ways each time. We will have to wait and see how good TW3 is at this, but my point was that TW2 restricts your playstyle to either killing with swords, with magic or with bombs. Where is Geralt's famous wit and sarcasm? Narrative and quest design and the multiple world states are all superb though. I always thought of TW2 as some sort of hybrid (mutant?).

But like you said it's hard to say what is sufficient and necessary to classify a game as RPG. So maybe a game hits enough RPG buttons for one person and not enough for another. Regardless of what we call it it's probably going to be awesome though.

sorry to say this mate, but currently bioware is the king. Sure CD projekt is really good.Heck , witcher 3 may even be the best rpg ever created. But you cannot possibliy lose with biowares roster and that is even after being taken over by EA

Surely you mean Bioware from the bygone era of Baldur's Gate and NWN. Nowadays their games are not even "good", per se, not to mention "great".

Surely you mean Bioware from the bygone era of Baldur's Gate and NWN. Nowadays their games are not even "good", per se, not to mention "great".

those games were great, yes.
but during the time of ps3/360 the only company out there producing decent rpgs was bioware.Dragon age , star wars , mass effect.

of course this is my personal opinion, i prefer a good story , lots of lore and really good combat. Dragon age inquisition their latest was good , not great but definitely good( an 8/10 maybe)

Bethesda with TES and fallout are bonkers. no decent storyline or combat.( never went past booting up in fallout. TES had more appeal to me due to the medival setting)

Heck , going by lore/ story eventhough i havenot played it, halo is really good.( read all the books though)

Black Isle was heavily involved in BG, it's hard to say how much of it is Bioware's. Also, Fallout, Torment, etc ;)

The last person in Bioware who was somehow involved with BG was, I think, Trent Oster, who left after DAO. He's now at Beamdog remaking all of these IE classics. Modern Bioware is a completely different company, and its also irrelevant in this thread.

No it's not. Their stories and visuals are top notch, but voice acting they've got a mixed bag compared to Bioware and are inferior to them cinematic wise. Gameplay wise From Software and even the Mass Effect team have delivered better quality then CDPR.

That just about nails it.

Witcher 1 had horrible gameplay, but the story was bewitching enough to finish it to completion:)

Witcher 2, played it only with FCR, and enjoyed even the combat....but that's still an unofficial mod.

Mass Effect really did do a better cinematic job in many respects, and the gameplay 'combat' dynamic was much better (even if your squadmates fubar'd your tactics).

Third times a charm for perfection.

Last edited:
I didn't find TW1 gameplay horrible.
It depends on what you mean by "gameplay." If gameplay includes immersion then Hell no! But if you separate graphics, writing, art-style, and music from the "gameplay" --in other words, reduce gameplay to the things you do by pressing buttons-- then I can see where some people might call it terrible, even if I disagree.

btw, I thought the immersion element was even better in The Witcher 1 than in The Witcher 2. But that's just me.

Last edited:
Don't really want to go into the "what is an RPG" argument here, but I will say that CDPR has gotten closer to simulating my PnP RPG experience than any other developer, offhand....

As opposed to something like Divinity Original Sin or Pillars of Eternity, which was a..group..simulator? ...

Which to me is central to Role Playing and why CDPR took the crown from Troika and Vampire Bloodlines: I felt like I was role-playing Geralt. Even if it was that pesky Third Person which kept jerking me out of his head.

I think it's not always a fair comparison. There are two major and heavy tasks when creating an RPG. First is creating settings and the story. Second is creating all the mechanics of the game which makes roleplaying in the provided settings interesting. Both are very critical for success of the game and both are hard in their own way.

Now, the first part can be of two distinct varieties. Creating all settings and story from scratch or building upon existing ones. It's significantly harder to do it from zero. And to make it exceptionally good is a monumental task (on par with creating a timeless book masterpiece). So using existing settings is major shortcut which saves tons and tons of effort that goes into creating the depth of the world and background story. I.e. games which do that can stand on the shoulders of the giants and put more effort in excelling while already having a rich base (i.e. for example Sapkowski).

On the other hand, games which build from scratch have to overcome a huge overhead of creating the world and its depth. In this sense they are at a disadvantage. Few can strongly compete with fantasy author geniuses. That's why story and world depth wise, Witcher is ahead of Pillars of Eternity or Divinity Original Sin. But as I said, it's not really fair to compare that depth judging developers and game creators alone. Not everyone has Sapkowski to back it. If you evaluate them as original creations however - games like Pillars of Eternity are good fantasy. Not stellar fantasy (on par with Tolkien / Sapkowski), but pretty good.

Same goes for other RPG settings like cyberpunk, urban fantasy and so on. World of Darkness / Vampire: The Masquerade settings were already very thoroughly developed when Troika made Bloodlines (which is a great RPG). It would be interesting to see an RPG with created from scratch world made by CDPR.

Last edited:
Here's an idea for an original fantasy setting: a once beautiful world, populated with noble ideals and talent, has been invaded by a pervasive race of spirit devourers. These troll-like creatures are seemingly harmless, but they are loud, obnoxious and at their touch every living thing becomes downgraded. People are losing their will to live. Can an organized group of people restore order to this spreading force of chaos? The guardians of the blue hammers, the elusive red sages and the unaligned rogues of hairybeary think yes!

There. Now CDPR doesn't have to come up with their own setting.

Top Bottom