Blood Decals

+
Marcin: Its been taken out...
Forum: IT's a bug marcin fix it...
Marcin: Okay I looked into it and you're right there is a bug. Animals should not of had that so now Animals do not have blood splatter either.

*evil laugh*

More like MUOOOOHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH... HA!

What I find most interesting is that the very few times we've been able to glimpse bloodspatter on the ground during a fight with humanoid creatures in the latest footage, it looks like that itself is the bug.

This makes it look (to me, and I've only done light coding/modding previously) like the bloodspatter system is still completely in place, and still be used for the creatures they want to have it, and it's still being used for humanoid creatures as well, but with the 'decal_duration' or whatever they called it set to 0.

That would effectively render no blood on humanoid enemies without needed to do a whole bunch of extra complicated work, and might account for the rare instances when a bloodspatter pops up for a fraction of a second when the engine is focused elsewhere.

The only reason I can think of to set the system up like that is if a producer or PR person made the choice that they didn't want humanoid enemies leaking out 'pools' of blood to avoid an Adult-Only rating in some countries, or to simply prevent some kind of media outrage.

The only reason I can think of to set the system up like that is if a producer or PR person made the choice that they didn't want humanoid enemies leaking out 'pools' of blood to avoid an Adult-Only rating in some countries, or to simply prevent some kind of media outrage.

I could see that as a reason, but then on the other hand we have decapitations and dismemberments when fightings human emenies. And in addition there is a censored version of the game for the Middle East countries with less gore.

Well.. Gore is a pretty all-inclusive term. Just like Nudity is, and Sex.

Remember when Mass Effect featured some alien boobs and wound up being decried by US politicians as being an "Alien Rape Simulator"?

Or when Tomb Raider was doing e3 demos/trailers which showed a QTE whose obvious real-world failure outcome would be rape? The amount of feminist/general outrage to that was some of the disproportionate nonsense I've ever seen.

Don't misunderstand. I want back all the lovely Gore, and if it's not there, then I'll find a way to mod it, or wait for someone else who will. (I might be pretty busy with work at release, unfortunately)

But I have waaaaaay too much experience with business to think that some PR guy hasn't gone down the list of effects in the game like a checklist and said Yay/Nay to them individually based on personal judgement and likelihood of public outcry. This game is still /way/ spicier than either of the two examples I used which created actual outcry.

The thing is though that the blood splatters were present in both previous games in the series as well as in some of the previous builds. I highly doubt that they would just suddenly change it because of PR reasons.

@Vixraine

you mix things up here a bit. Gore is gore, but rape is different.... witcher 2 and also witcher 3 (trailer) had some rape-attempt scenes - while you don't have to see it happen because Geralt is Geralt. Rape is also mentioned in the witcher series. Absolutely no problem with that, but i think i would be not very amused if we had to actually see rape scenes in the witcher 3 (and not "only" rape-attempts), even more if Geralt would actually rape someone - what i believe he would never do.

Of course we could now discuss wether or not the impaling scenes at the end of W2 are considered rape scenes or not. different story - but i also found them a bit disturbing while still adequate

while i personally think gore, nudity, drugs and alcool have a place in mature rated games that treat players as grown-ups, i think i can easily live without any explicit rape and/or sexual abuse content. Hints, mentions and attempts are fine.

The thing is though that the blood splatters were present in both previous games in the series as well as in some of the previous builds. I highly doubt that they would just suddenly change it because of PR reasons.

The previous games did not feature as much frequent dismemberment though. So it might be the combination of blood splatter and dismemberment from humanoid enemies is seen as too extreme in many regions.

The previous games did not feature as much frequent dismemberment though. So it might be the combination of blood splatter and dismemberment from humanoid enemies is seen as too extreme in many regions.

But then we have blood splatters left when Geralt is being hit... and he is humanoid after all ;)

@Jinal My only intent was to show that things which I believe we all agree are way more toned down than exist within Witcher games have the potential for outcry, from a PR persons perspective, and that I am fully capable of believing that certain types of Gore would be turned down for that reason (even though I would personally turn nothing down in a Witcher game, the entire point of the setting is the uncompromising medieval-ness of it all).

Let me use this quote then:

The Witcher 3 ESRB Ratings Summary:
Characters engage in melee-style combat using swords and other bladed weapons, as well as magical attacks (e.g., blasts of fire, stun spells); combat is highlighted by screams of pain and impact sounds. Large blood-splatter effects occur when enemies are slashed, with some attacks resulting in decapitation or dismemberment.

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-witcher-3-esrb-rating-outlines-strong-sexual-c/1100-6425488/

The game has M rating. So I doubt that those particular blood splatters were just too much to handle and could result in some eventual outcry.

The game has M rating. So I doubt that those particular blood splatters were just too much to handle and could result in some eventual outcry.

Might not be problem in the US but it might in countries such as Germany, Japan, Australia and so on and it's just easier for them to tone it down for everyone.

I hope this is not the reason though of course and it is indeed a bug. I'm just trying to make sense of a situation that is currently.... making none.

Don't worry, I'm sure there will be enough blood for us all.

Attachments

• there-will-be-blood.jpg
    there-will-be-blood.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 53
Not quite the point of this topic @May17th

Guys, I don't think it's some censorship problem, it's just bugged on humaniod enemies and they need to fix it, today's PS4 gameplay proved that it's still there, but also bugged.

Not quite the point of this topic @May17th

Guys, I don't think it's some censorship problem, it's just bugged on humaniod enemies and they need to fix it, today's PS4 gameplay proved that it's still there, but also bugged.

I don't know, man.

It doesn't sound like a bug when Marcin says in this thread three separate times that no, it's not in the game. It's gone, I don't know what else to tell you, it's gone. *

*Heavily paraphrased.

Sorry, I just think it's a little weird to analyze outdated gameplay from unknown versions of the game and make a big issue about it. Because the game developers have likely a much better overview of errors and changes than us who do not even have the game yet. And whatever they have changed in the game before release, I trust they have done so because they had a reason. I don't think I will be bothered by it missing or notice it as the world is already rich with details and blood. But that's just my personal opinion.

Well.. Gore is a pretty all-inclusive term. Just like Nudity is, and Sex.

Remember when Mass Effect featured some alien boobs and wound up being decried by US politicians as being an "Alien Rape Simulator"?

Or when Tomb Raider was doing e3 demos/trailers which showed a QTE whose obvious real-world failure outcome would be rape? The amount of feminist/general outrage to that was some of the disproportionate nonsense I've ever seen.

Don't misunderstand. I want back all the lovely Gore, and if it's not there, then I'll find a way to mod it, or wait for someone else who will. (I might be pretty busy with work at release, unfortunately)

But I have waaaaaay too much experience with business to think that some PR guy hasn't gone down the list of effects in the game like a checklist and said Yay/Nay to them individually based on personal judgement and likelihood of public outcry. This game is still /way/ spicier than either of the two examples I used which created actual outcry.

Self censorship because a few people are going to scream because THEY are offended. Better to not make the game at all. There will always be people who are offended. How can you make a game with THE WITCHERS world and worry about offending someone ?

Top Bottom