The Witcher 3 - Visuals

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
This comparison really doesn't make any sense. It feels like those assets date back to a version where the world was still being built by the artists. There is no logical reason to remove such insignificant detail. That amount of polygons means nothing to modern hardware. This isn't anything close to an optimization because removing that amount of geometry changes nothing performance-wise. Occam's razor points to a very, very old build or lower settings.

So I did some more quick digging to try and identify the build in question, entering more tinfoil-ish territory. As always, speculation caveats. Basically, the nvidia version of geralt's gloves seem a bit different from the current PS4. That's as non-conclusive a proof as it gets, but it's something.

PS4/Current : http://forums.cdprojektred.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13357&d=1430691513
Nvidia build : https://international.download.nvid...-3-wild-hunt-nvidia-gameworks-hairworks-2.jpg

I know. CDPR have stated that they went a bit overboard with collision and particle physics earlier and have toned it down at some point. As for those wall textures. Current consoles really arent as shitty as many like to have you believe. Bloodborne for example has very nice graphics. And i bet you if u saw that game and never heard it before. U would totally eat it as a PC game. And there is a limit for PC hardware aswell

I know. CDPR have stated that they went a bit overboard with collision and particle physics earlier and have toned it down at some point. As for those wall textures. Current consoles really arent as shitty as many like to have you believe. Bloodborne for example has very nice graphics. And i bet you if u saw that game and never heard it before. U would totally eat it as a PC game. And there is a limit for PC hardware aswell

You're attempting to turn this into a platform war, I'm not biting. The screenshots speak for themselves, that is all.

---------- Updated at 10:23 PM ----------

This comparison really doesn't make any sense. It feels like those assets date back to a version where the world was still being built by the artists. There is no logical reason to remove such insignificant detail. That amount of polygons means nothing to modern hardware. This isn't anything close to an optimization because removing that amount of geometry changes nothing performance-wise. Occam's razor points to a very, very old build or lower settings.

So I did some more quick digging to try and identify the build in question, entering more tinfoil-ish territory. As always, speculation caveats. Basically, the nvidia version of geralt's gloves seem a bit different from the current PS4. That's as non-conclusive a proof as it gets, but it's something.

PS4/Current : http://forums.cdprojektred.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13357&d=1430691513
Nvidia build : https://international.download.nvid...-3-wild-hunt-nvidia-gameworks-hairworks-2.jpg

Again, if it's an old build, why has nobody confirmed it to be such and put this to bed? Occam's Razor, it's not an old build.

Even if there is that particular clipping - who expected a game of this size to have zero clipping issues? I am rather satisfied if there is no clipping with hair/armor on Geralt and the main characters. there was a video recently that showed bushes from outside clipping trough a building's wall (can't find it right now, it was a german one, i think one of the studio71 gameplay videos)...
this simply can happen and there wil probably be a few patches in the future fixing the most annoying ones... not a gamebreaking issue...

The only thing that confirms is that he's wearing different gloves. In fact, he's got two pairs of gloves available right in the first screenshot you posted. >.>

You're attempting to turn this into a platform war, I'm not biting. The screenshots speak for themselves, that is all.

---------- Updated at 10:23 PM ----------

Again, if it's an old build, why has nobody confirmed it to be such and put this to bed? Occam's Razor, it's not an old build.

Dont care about the build. Are you sure the First picture is even from 100% working build. Really not trying to set war here. im just annoyed that you attack consoles blindly without hard facts.

Like I said, I have no conclusive proof. But the old build hypothesis is more logical to my knowledge than optimization by manually slashing down individual assets inside a huge hand-crafted game world. Not only would this approach to optimization be utterly impractical given the surface area (even with automated metrics), it also really doesn't work because of how much polys modern engines can push. Your view would be valid for the previous gen of console hardware if we are talking about the lowest common denominator. But at most a few thousand more triangles inside a draw call means literally nothing nowadays.

So yeah, I find it really hard to consider that they are fishing for geometry to so crudely cut out. Doesn't sound like professionals obsessed with crafting a believable, breathing world to me.

The only thing that confirms is that he's wearing different gloves. In fact, he's got two pairs of gloves available right in the first screenshot you posted. >.>

I am aware, but this is a far-fetched explanation to something that really sounds ridiculous to anyone who knows anything about graphics.

Last edited:
Like I said, I have no conclusive proof. But the old build hypothesis is more logical to my knowledge than optimization by manually slashing down individual assets inside a huge hand-crafted game world. Not only would this approach to optimization be utterly impractical given the surface area (even with automated metrics), it also really doesn't work because of how much polys modern engines can push. Your view would be valid for the previous gen of console hardware if we are talking about the lowest common denominator. But at most a few thousand more triangles inside a draw call means literally nothing nowadays.

So yeah, I find it really hard to consider that they are fishing for geometry to so crudely cut out. Doesn't sound like professionals obsessed with crafting a believable, breathing world to me.

No, if it was an old build, it would have been said by now, simple a that.

It's it a little bit to take the mouth to full to say the game was downgrade to cater to the lowest common anomaly. I mean for sure the game have had to have some compromises because of it being developed to run on three platforms. But let us face facts and just admit that had it only been developed for PC alone or even parallel with console we might have gotten a more aesthetic pleasing game with some cool PC exclusive effects but it is a bit naive to think we would at the same time gotten the exactly same game as the one being released on May 19th just more beautiful.

Budget reasons alone it would mean that the game would have had to been cut back heavily in a lot of other areas. I will not speculate what those area would be but I would bet it would have meant a much smaller game that the one we get now. I am in no way an expect in such matters but I would imagine developing to multiple platforms separately is a tremendous expensive task.

One could of course argue that then CDPR should only have developed for PC alone but that wouldn't leave us of much better as it would have seriously hampered the revenue it would have generated and as such investors would have been harder to come by. Which again mean we would still not have ended up with the game that is going to be released May 19th.

So in other words while the game for sure have had to have some compromises on the PC side because of being multiple platform it sure as hell also would have had some heavy comprises had it being either separately developed for PC and console or only for PC and we would have had a completely different game in our hands in the end.

Last edited:
Dont care about the build. Are you sure the First picture is even from 100% working build. Really not trying to set war here. im just annoyed that you attack consoles blindly without hard facts.

The first picture was from the 35 minute demo months ago, the second one was from yesterday. That's all there is to it. And who attacked? The consoles are less powerful, this is a demonstrable fact, not an 'attack.'

Last edited:
No, if it was an old build, it would have been said by now, simple a that.

By that belief in CDPR's systematic response to graphics inaccuracies, we should also have answers to our concerns about the 2013 effects. This is a fallacy as the situation points out, I'm afraid.

We are still seeing the Old Wild Hunt General in new official videos, so I reckon there are mixed builds and *really* old materials still floating about.

Exactly.

Last edited:
You just posted both just now... The date something is published in no proof that it is that recent... only that it must be at least that old.

We are still seeing the Old Wild Hunt General in new official videos, so I reckon there are mixed builds and *really* old materials still floating about.

By that belief in CDPR's systematic response to graphics inaccuracies, we should also have answers to our concerns about the 2013 effects. This is a fallacy as the situation points out, I'm afraid.

No, because they've done it before on these very forums.

No, because they've done it before on these very forums.

They've done what exactly? If you are referring to the way they addressed the downgrade questions, they didn't answer anything in the least specific way.

Look, we're running in circles and you evidently believe strongly that nvidia has access to a current build despite the way these things work. Let's leave it at that, shall we?

I love that we've transitioned from

'There's no downgrade, I can't see any downgrade'
to
'That does look exactly like a downgrade. But that couldn't have been downgraded because it doesn't make sense. I see your proof, and raise you a substituted reality.'

Progress.

How about you refute my point by starting to understand it? This changes in geometry means nothing to performance. Nada. It doesn't have any rationale as part of a downgrade.

Still, does it look worse? Of course, but performance sure isn't the reason for that change. Therefore I'm questioning the chronology.

Last edited:
This might be a bit flammatory but i dont think PC has even the third of the copies pre ordered and what they will sell. They absolutely havety think about these things..

That bear pic seems to have all manner of post-processing effects disabled or the lighting quality is set to low.

The actual bear itself actually don't look all that bad. I made an attempt at lighting it properly below.

Also them sexy José Teixeira-clouds appears to be missing from this particular picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom