Geralt's Needs

+
Geralt's Needs

I'm curious what sort of "needs" Geralt will have to attend to in the game - food, clothing, shelter, rest, etc.

It sounds like weapon repair is included. I wonder if armor maintenance or care of clothing is also included...

I have not seen/heard anything about him needing to eat, drink or sleep though the previous games had some sort of vitality regeneration attached to eating IIRC and of course meditating was involved with alchemy, leveling up skills, etc. - still there was really no need to eat or drink and meditating (or sleep) was not due to fatigue but only when necessary for other reasons.

I also have not seen anything about exposure. Does weather (either precipitation or cold) have an effect on him or just cause visual changes? Does he need to avoid getting too cold (or exposure after getting his clothing wet), etc. Since I haven't seen anything like this in any of the previews, etc. I sort of assume Geralt can stand around in the snow all day or in waist deep in a swamp or stay out in the rain all day with no ill effect.

What about his horse? Does it need to eat? Rest (other than recover stamina after a long fast gallop)?

From what I've seen NPCs have schedules which simulate these needs (they go to bed at night, eat at meal times, get out of inclement weather, etc) but neither Geralt nor his horse have actually have such needs. Anyone heard or know anything different?

Last edited:
I also have not seen anything about exposure. Does weather (either precipitation or cold) have an effect on him or just cause visual changes? Does he need to avoid getting too cold (or exposure after getting his clothing wet), etc. Since I haven't seen anything like this in any of the previews, etc. I sort of assume Geralt can stand around in the snow all day or in waist deep in a swamp or stay out in the rain all day with no ill effect.
It was conformed by Damien that exposure to cold or swimming in cold is not going to affect Geralt.

True, but in the latest Twitch Q&A they stated that e.g. the ears react to weather - like in turning red when it's cold (at least in cutscenes). Which implies there is already a mechanic at work that detects weather conditions on the PC, which means that modding - provided that the RED3Kit is realeased soon-ish - such a feature isn't difficult at all.
Frostfall for Witcher, hell why not?

Actually I do not think Geralt will have any "needs" in the game.

This is a higher RPG not a Survival game, so the game will mostly concentrate on secondary need mechanics, such as the things you need for battle (potions/alchemy, weapons, armor, etc.). There is as far as I know no need for drink or food or anything, although you are free to eat and drink whenever you want.

Geralt needs:

press F to take a dump.
press C to piss.

lets not forget its a fantasy RPG, not a survival game there are plenty indie games like that, i find it annoying to worry about food and water or cold,

but if u like it so much im 10000% sure some one will mod it.

Last edited:
Actually I do not think Geralt will have any "needs" in the game.

This is a higher RPG not a Survival game, so the game will mostly concentrate on secondary need mechanics, such as the things you need for battle (potions/alchemy, weapons, armor, etc.). There is as far as I know no need for drink or food or anything, although you are free to eat and drink whenever you want.

I hope there will be a mod that will introduce some kind of Hard mode like that one Obsidian made for New Vegas.

I hope there will be a mod that will introduce some kind of Hard mode like that one Obsidian made for New Vegas.

That would be absolutely awesome, and as I stated above, some of the detecting mechanics are already there, which means modding it in won't be hard, thus it's very likely. (And if the RedKit is out and nothing like this happens feel free to remind me about it and I'll implement it ;) )

Scryar

Forum veteran
I would like the idea of a "survival mode", in which Geralt has to sleep(find and pay for shelter), eat and drink in regular intervals. Basically what books Geralt spends most of his hard earned monster hunting money for. Would be interesting for a second playthrought. Maybe as one of the later dlcs.

Ew, there are already more than enough survival games in which you need to regularly eat and drink imo, no need to turn TW3 into one.

With all these DLCs coming it's a good thing the RedKit isn't out at release. Maybe some Reds think the same as we do.
But I doubt that. TW3 isn't a sandbox game as Skyrim is. Still, it would add a lot of additional depth
I simply can't play Skyrim without Frosfall and some other Realistic Needs mods anymore. And I have to say that's one of the features I would really love to see in TW3. In TW2 it didn't really make sense, but in an open world?

And it's not like if you would need to use those mechanic, and honestly I can fully understand why you would not. But e.g. in Fallout you were not forced to use it. And as it's unlikely something like this will come as an official DLC, you also do not have to use the mod.

That would be absolutely awesome, and as I stated above, some of the detecting mechanics are already there, which means modding it in won't be hard, thus it's very likely. (And if the RedKit is out and nothing like this happens feel free to remind me about it and I'll implement it ;) )

Oh, be sure, I will. XD
Maybe adding to that even an horse storage for more realistic inventory management.

Oh, be sure, I will. XD
Maybe adding to that even an horse storage for more realistic inventory management.

Nope, not gonna happen horse storage is already in.
But a tent would be a thing...
I should shut up now before I get crazy about a mod idea for a game that's not even released. Not to speak of an editor for it.

Nope, not gonna happen horse storage is already in.
But a tent would be a thing...
I should shut up now before I get crazy about a mod idea for a game that's not even released. Not to speak of an editor for it.
I like your ideas:) Let's just hope they release the ModKit as fast as possible

I like your ideas Let's just hope they release the ModKit as fast as possible

Thanks, but those are not really my ideas. Mods like this have been around for Oblivion and Skyrim for a long time. Thank Chesko for those ideas.

And give me the time to play though the game vanilla, without being a mod maker for it. Usuallly you are the last one to enjoy your work when you start modding.

Saddlebags are not an horse storage. Those just increase Geralt's max capability.
Really?
It seems I either misunderstood that whole saddlebag thing then, or I simply wanted to interprete it in a certain way.
Anyways, saddlebags are back on the list, should not be too hard to remove the saddlebag bonus from Geralt and add it to a invisible chest the horse is linked to.

Really?
It seems I either misunderstood that whole saddlebag thing then, or I simply wanted to interprete it in a certain way.
Anyways, saddlebags are back on the list, should not be too hard to remove the saddlebag bonus from Geralt and add it to a invisible chest the horse is linked to.

IIRC, they explain that in the last Q&E.

Yeah, it was Cehsko's Frostfall that made me think of this. I like having to battle the elements while carrying out your quests, it' not so a much turning it into a survival game but rather adding another level of constraints to work around and the planning necessary for to overcome the elements. Plus it just adds to the tension and atmospherics if exposure is actually hazardous rather than the weather just being background scenery.

You just have to keep up with Geralts sex drive. He can mentally and physically break down if he isnt sexually active at least once every game day.

Top Bottom