Blood Decals

+
I understand that the old blood in e3 and 35 min demo was apparently a more expensive particle system, and now that the game is so much bigger with more content, they had to cut back.

But, why not keep it in and add different blood settings? That way people can turn on the good blood if they get good enough hardware?

I understand that the old blood in e3 and 35 min demo was apparently a more expensive particle system, and now that the game is so much bigger with more content, they had to cut back.

But, why not keep it in and add different blood settings? That way people can turn on the good blood if they get good enough hardware?
It's

It's not about 'good enough hardware', you still have to manage a graphics/polygons/performance budget for the game.

Well even on their latest video so much blood flying but not a single drop on the ground

You can see it here very clearly:

https://youtu.be/chn9QN2W5V4?t=49s

---------- Updated at 10:52 PM ----------

I really don't think he was. What he stated was 'I have another way of doing it that I think may or may not look better. We'll have to see.'

And that's all well and good and he likely tested it out. But from his end, he doesn't get the final say one which method they choose to use, or what settings are forced into use for whatever method is chosen.

I'm really liking what I've been seeing lately in the footage. Because if my coding isn't failing me now, then fixing this is going to be as simple as changing one variable, maybe two.

I hope you are right since i have no experience in making mods but i love using them.
I love you all modders!!!

As long as the game is moddable..... this shouldn't be a big deal.

But you know... "parity", as consoles can't mod like pc can so if they're taking this whole parity thing that far maybe we won't be able to mod it like we hope to be able to.

Too bad I'm getting it on console :/

Jesus such a simple thing and they can't even do it in their "next-gen rpg".

Too bad I'm getting it on console :/

Jesus such a simple thing and they can't even do it in their "next-gen rpg".

I guess pc isn't getting it if you guys aren't.... I think. Which seems a little extreme for them to do something like that but as far as I understand it, that's whats happening here?

this whole parity thing is incredibly stupid. Why wouldn't they want to push it to the limit on pc ???

But you know... "parity", as consoles can't mod like pc can so if they're taking this whole parity thing that far maybe we won't be able to mod it like we hope to be able to.

I wouldn't worry about that since CDPR have announced Redkit tools will be available for the game sometime after launch and that they are excited see what people will create for the game.

Plus since this game is single player only you don't run the risk of being banned from anything for using mods.

I dont imagine it getting "fixed" by CDPR because of the lack of a "proper" response to this, if i were you would be prepared for it to remain like this :/

On PC it probably be modded, infact the files might still be in the game, you just have to mess about a bit to get it working again.

It just feels so....................................empty, i dont know how to describe it, but just such thing as decals not appearing even though you just split a person in two is........i mean it takes me out of the game and it's the one detail that really gets to me :(

............empty, i dont know how to describe it, but just such thing as decals not appearing even though you just split a person in two is........i mean it takes me out of the game and it's the one detail that really gets to me :(

Wait.

You have this gorgeous, flying/slicing combat.

You have magic powers.

You get bombs.

You -look- cool as hell while you do all this.

You can set it so that you are a killing god, or that every fight is really hard.

You have all these things and because blood doesn't spray when you hit someone - through their armour, often - you lose connection with the game?

So if you lost all the above, and instead fought with stick figures and swords - but had blood spurt when you chopped the other stick figure in the neck - you'd be okay?

Why, come to think of it, would there even -be- that much blood? You have to hit an artery to get arterial spray and even then, clothes will often soak it up fast.

My beloved is a paramedic - that's EMT, or ambulance paramedic - and they worry constantly about missing signs of penetration wounds. They even have a whole rigamarole they go through to check if the patient has been stabbed or cut, even deeply, and there isn't a sign.

I mean, I have no issue with it, but come on. It kinda jerks me out of belief when I see all this red spray from a cut to the arm or torso, especially right away.

Those getting it on PC, bet on a mod ASAP. I doubt I'll install it. I've tried them in FNV and the like and it's just so...cartoon silly to me.

Wait.

You have magic powers.

You get bombs.

You can set it so that you are a killing god, or that every fight is really hard.

You have all these things and because blood doesn't spray when you hit someone - through their armour, often - you lose connection with the game?

So if you lost all the above, and instead fought with stick figures and swords - but had blood spurt when you chopped the other stick figure in the neck - you'd be okay?

Why, come to think of it, would there even -be- that much blood? You have to hit an artery to get arterial spray and even then, clothes will often soak it up fast.

My beloved is a paramedic - that's EMT, or ambulance paramedic - and they worry constantly about missing signs of penetration wounds. They even have a whole rigamarole they go through to check if the patient has been stabbed or cut, even deeply, and there isn't a sign.

I mean, I have no issue with it, but come on. It kinda jerks me out of belief when I see all this red spray from a cut to the arm or torso, especially right away.

Those getting it on PC, bet on a mod ASAP. I doubt I'll install it. I've tried them in FNV and the like and it's just so...cartoon silly to me.

Wait a minute, i didnt even talk about the blood spray, i was talking about blood decals not appearing on the ground -.-

That's what annoys me the fact that when cutting an enemy, enough blood to fill a bathtub comes out but it does not actually land anywhere, it just dissapears -.-

Last edited:
Wait.

You have magic powers.

You get bombs.

Well, usually when people a sliced IN HALF, it is likely that at least one or more arteries has gotten hit.

Lol.

• RED Point
Reactions: YTF

Wait a minute, i didnt even talk about the blood spray, i was talking about blood decals not appearing on the ground -.-

That's what annoys me the fact that when cutting an enemy, enough blood to fill a bathtub comes out but it does not actually land anywhere, it just dissapears -.-

I think the mods are taking all criticism a bit too far, the rage builds and then pops and you see posts like the one above. I mean, the point is they had it in there, it was awesome, now its gone. Even skyrim has blood that pools on the ground after you kill stuff, or its from this mod http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/60/? It happens, and its awesome. Without it, not so awesome. Simple things like that can get on peoples nerves after a while in combat. Especially when they were shown something there that's awesome in the first place....

Like the man said, the ground or water shouldn't be clean after combat. Something as simple as blood in water or on the ground afterwards shouldn't have been cut.

Last edited:
Rage? What rage? Have you all seen your posts replaced by Ponies yet? Then you'll know.

Blood on the ground, sure. Maybe. Maybe not. You miss the point about deep wounds and cuts? The veins snap shut in order to restrict blood loss. People - lots of them - have died from blood loss with little to no visible sign. Soaked up by the ground on which they were lying, dumped into their boots, absorbed by their dark clothes...

Cutting you in half, yeah, you should see blood. Also entrails. And bone. See those? Why am I not hearing complaints about that? Or the feces and urine, since losing control of your bowels is also a common occurence. That water really ought to be quite a -few- colours...

Then, since we're going down this path, you have -any- idea how hard it is to kill someone? Even sliced in half, ( which is -incredibly- hard to do, as anyone who has ever butchered anything knows. We use power tools for a reason.), people can just linger. Screaming. And begging. And crying. For hours.

Most people die from infection and trauma, not the initial injury. That might be a bit much to put in a videogame for now.

Having bounced around a bit in this old world, I've actually seen people who've been shot multiple times, up close. First, hey, guess what? Not that much blood at first, but it does keep coming unless their heart stops. Hard to say how much of it stayed on the ground - being dirt, it soaked it up pretty quickly. Looked like oil.

If the heart stops, there isn't anything to pump out the blood, either.

So, sure, if they were shooting for realism, this whole thing would get a lot more complicated. But this isn't about realism, is it? Just "cool".

And that's fine, but if it such a major issue for you, given everything else that's cool about the combat in this game, ( or supposed to be, anyway), again, let's go back to the stick figures - would you prefer stick figures and blood decals?

Or instead all this other great stuff and decals? I have no idea if your mother told you you could have everything always, but you can't. No idea why they cut it, on purpose or not, repleaceable/fixable or not, but it's a tiny, minor issue against the scope of this huge game.

Perspective.

If it's my mod, I'll just be restoring duration to the blood decals already present in the system (but appear to be turned off on humanoid opponents, and re-enabling blood decals in water.

/Possibly/ turning off the current blood system and reverting it to the liquid system present in the 35min footage, but only if it's in the code already and doesn't look subjectively worse. (If it's easy, I'll just make two versions of the mod for that.)

It easy to go overboard if you are just trying to crank the gore to maximum, but all I'd be doing is turning back on the systems we've already seen in new-renderer gameplay footage which have since been disabled for reasons unknown (possibly to the devs themselves, even).

Rage? What rage? Have you all seen your posts replaced by Ponies yet? Then you'll know.

Blood on the ground, sure. Maybe. Maybe not. You miss the point about deep wounds and cuts? The veins snap shut in order to restrict blood loss. People - lots of them - have died from blood loss with little to no visible sign. Soaked up by the ground on which they were lying, dumped into their boots, absorbed by their dark clothes...

Cutting you in half, yeah, you should see blood. Also entrails. And bone. See those? Why am I not hearing complaints about that? Or the feces and urine, since losing control of your bowels is also a common occurence. That water really ought to be quite a -few- colours...

Then, since we're going down this path, you have -any- idea how hard it is to kill someone? Even sliced in half, ( which is -incredibly- hard to do, as anyone who has ever butchered anything knows. We use power tools for a reason.), people can just linger. Screaming. And begging. And crying. For hours.

Most people die from infection and trauma, not the initial injury. That might be a bit much to put in a videogame for now.

Having bounced around a bit in this old world, I've actually seen people who've been shot multiple times, up close. First, hey, guess what? Not that much blood at first, but it does keep coming unless their heart stops. Hard to say how much of it stayed on the ground - being dirt, it soaked it up pretty quickly. Looked like oil.

If the heart stops, there isn't anything to pump out the blood, either.

So, sure, if they were shooting for realism, this whole thing would get a lot more complicated. But this isn't about realism, is it? Just "cool".

And that's fine, but if it such a major issue for you, given everything else that's cool about the combat in this game, ( or supposed to be, anyway), again, let's go back to the stick figures - would you prefer stick figures and blood decals?

Or instead all this other great stuff and decals? I have no idea if your mother told you you could have everything always, but you can't. No idea why they cut it, on purpose or not, repleaceable/fixable or not, but it's a tiny, minor issue against the scope of this huge game.

Perspective.

But its not like they took out those effects because "realism". So your point is logical but doesn't really pertain to this.

Why are you bringing "realism" into this. It is just about what is satisfying. More blood is more satisfying, whether it is more blood showing up on the ground, or more coming out of the body. Simple as that.

You can say that they are focusing too much on a little thing, but don't bring the "these blood effects are more realistic" thing into this. They didn't make it like this to be more realistic.

We all know they are going for a more "fantasy" version, which is why heads fly off so high, lol. But these blood effects, that are very much like paper, are neither realistic nor "fantastical"

Sorry, the last thing I want to do is talk back to a mod. I mean absolutely no disrespect. But lets all be fair here.

Last edited:
Sorry, the last thing I want to do is talk back to a mod. I mean absolutely no disrespect. But lets all be fair here.

Oh, you can always talk back to me, as long as you avoid certain trigger words. I'm both the most lenient and nastiest of the mods. I don't give two craps for people being polite to me, ( be polite to others, though!) but I do edit the hell out of others' posts if it amuses me. People haaaaate that.

Oh, I know it's not about realism. That was the really kind of wandering point I was making. It's -not- about "where's the blood! I just cut this guy in half! That's dumb!" ALthough it is a little dumb..anyway. It's about "The blood is COOL! I want it!"

And if that -is- what it's about, then, yeah, I'm on-side. Just don't let it affect your enjoyment of the otherwise great combat. First, because it lessens your fun and second, because we'll probably see a mod for it.

If CDPR doesn't fix it in a patch.

For the record, I -would- like to see viscera. Bone. Urine and feces. Crying and wailing and begging. I would like every time I kill or badly wound someone for it to be -very- realistic.

It sucks to have to do that and I think it would add emotional resonance to the choice. Which makes you even -cooler-. "Killing men is hard, and you'll likely never do a worse thing. A witcher learns this - and has to do it anyway."

Or as Clint Eastwood put it, in Unforgiven:

"It's a hell of a thing killing a man. You take away everything he's got and everything he'll ever have."

My only "dilemma" I have is that, since people will inevitably mod it in, why didn't CDP just put it in from the start?

There is a whole dynamic regarding game development that I still do not understand.

Yet, even if I agree with some of these points made agains the game, I will not try to act like I know everything. Nothing more annoying than a bloke who doesn't know what he is talking about and is slandering your masterpiece. I trust CDP's judgment

CDPR is kinda like "God". We all love them. We all fear the hell out of them. We sometimes get frustrated with them. We question them. But in the end we are overjoyed to explore the vast world they have created just for us.

^May be the best metaphor of all time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom