The Witcher 3 - Visuals

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if if global illumination (mentioned in that interview with Jose) was enabled in the 35 minute demo as the lighting in that footage appears more volumetric and "contrasty" where as in the more recent footage since then the lighting looks more flat.

All I know is that the lighting is perhaps the biggest visual change the game has undergone during its development as far as I can tell.

I wonder if if global illumination (mentioned in that interview with Jose) was enabled in the 35 minute demo as the lighting in that footage appears more volumetric and "contrasty" where as in the more recent footage since then the lighting looks more flat.

All I know is that the lighting is perhaps the biggest visual change the game has undergone during its development as far as I can tell.

I don't think there's been ANY video with anything approaching a real GI solution. The recent ones use AO and more accurate ways of lighting, but not GI.

No definitely not.

It was just the area and the time of day.

The swamp was a bit different I think. They changed the models of the trees, for the better in my opinion.

I don't really care for a possible downgrade (it still looks beautiful to me, just like 5 year old Red Dead Redemption), but you remember Gamestar from Germany and their exclusive preview? They have picked up the news of a possible downgrade on their website with links to "proof". Maybe that (or other sites doing the same) will trigger a reaction from CDPR; I'd love to see this discussion end. ;)

EDIT: The moderator of the german facebook page says clearly that there was no downgrade and they are positive that, in the end, everyone will be happy. We'll find out soon enough!

Last edited:
No definitely not.

It was just the area and the time of day.

I disagree, I don't believe this is simply a time of of day difference. The vegetation for example responded differently to the game's lighting which I describe in more detail in the post below
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/34169-The-Witcher-3-Visuals?p=1637730&viewfull=1#post1637730

Also in the 35 demo there is a flare and HDR effect when Geralt exists the tavern in Novigrad which I don't recall seeing in more recent footage men Geralt leaves a hut or small house.

I think the air in the game have changed, it's different, I do not like the air as it is now. Why is the air like that?
Looking for mistakes, you find mistakes, gets very repetitive quickly as design and art is judged individually.
While you count pixels and texture quality, I see art and I feel.. and when I see The Witcher 3 world, I feel.. it's good!

The atmosphere in this game that I have seen from the videos is like no other.
Why can not people just enjoy that.

There is so much silliness about downgrading.
Who cares, just look at this game.. it's beautiful, why else would you be here if you did not like what you see.

Last edited:
My intention isn't to look for mistakes but I do try to hold the game up to the extremely high standards I know the team at CDPR are capable of when it comes to visual fidelity.... Ok,not only that, they actually raised the bar when it came to almost every aspect of what it means to create a masterful video game with The Witcher 2

This thread is about the visuals though hence why I mostly focus on analyzing and commenting on that aspect alone.

Hm.

What graphics settings did they say 35 minute was on?

I'm not sure if we were ever told actually. I have seen "high settings" being mentioned in these forums though.

Last edited:
I think the air in the game have changed, it's different, I do not like the air as it is now. Why is the air like that?
Looking for mistakes, you find mistakes, gets very repetitive quickly as design and art is judged individually.
While you count pixels and texture quality, I see art and I feel.. and when I see The Witcher 3 world, I feel.. it's good!

Who cares, just look at this game.. it's beautiful, why else would you be here if you did not like what you see.

Well to be fair, this thread of less than 20 people discussing the visuals/a potential downgrade isn't really representative of Witcher fans as a whole. I prefer the way the game looked before to now, but would be perfectly happy if they did something to change the odd looking foliage and decrease pop-in a little bit.
And people don't have to be 100% crazy about the visuals to like a game. Big example for me would be Deadly Premonition which looked like an absolute piece of garbage when it was released in 2010 which is one of my favorite games due to it being a giant Twin Peaks reference. Fallout: New Vegas was also a pretty aged piece of work when it comes to it's graphics, even at release. It ended up being my favorite Fallout though and provided over 400-500 hours of fun for me on both consoles and PC.

well when you compare two objects, one far away and from a compressed video capture, the other close, from a high resolution screenshot, it's bound to look fluffy.

I know exactly what you mean. The whole is greater than the parts. Aesthetics are more important than fidelity.

But as to the 'why'--it's because the game looked better before. If the game had always looked the same, we wouldn't have this atmosphere you speak of, even though we get the same product in both scenarios. That shows that it's not about being deprived of gorgeous graphics; it's about being deprived of something people were led to reasonably believe they would be getting--not quite promised, but close enough. And the implications of that.

If preview footage suggested that a certain promised gameplay element had been removed, would the discussion be as fierce? Actually, if cdprojekt (or fans) came and said "it's still in the game" in spite of what is in front of our eyes it well might. The only difference is that good graphics are a little more ambiguous and, while not subjective, are hard to objectively prove or agree upon.

Last edited:
leaving aside the downgrade , the draw distance is very short, it's not realistic at all, a person can see if there is grass, bushes or trees at 100 or 200 meters

I've seen the previous videos and images, I do not think the game has gone from better to worse in term of graphics.
But I know some people feel the opposite. As I said, people see something, they feel something. Not everyone feel the same of what they see. It's like arguing about taste.

I think some people don't really understand how much influence the light effects, and the weather has on the landscape and atmosphere.

And if someone really feel misled.. well I do not feel sorry for them, because they set themselves up.
Fact is that someone started to look at images from a game development process, and therefore should not be surprised by what I call small adjustments.

But as I said before, I think the game looks as it should! Everything is a process, and it came out right!
You may be disappointed, just don't say you feel cheated or treated unfairly.

That's my opinion.

Last edited:
the lighting wasn't even correct in the vgx trailer, and the metal on the armor looks like window tinting, the new pbr based metal layers they're using are far superior. the whole grass debate has been debunked as well, since more recent shots show forest sections with tons of undergrowth and foliage from a low angle, ie, the density is achieved through illusion.

the only good evidence provided thus far has been the comparison of a wall section. but i have a hunch that's old footage mixed in. a remote possibility, but a possibility nonetheless. could be a lower graphics setting as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom