PC mouse and keyboard controls

+
And the fact that it's smoother to show the game with a gamepad (The camera movements and all). Gopher said he used KB+M for half and hour and was happy with it (Although he said the UI can be modded and improved). The "adaptive camera" is about the zooming, not the orientation.

Sirnaq, I'm not convinced that 'they don't want people to use KB&M', I suspect that they may be concerned with the larger Console market & simply target their promotion accordingly.
Yes, maybe it's true. Though this is not an excuse for them to mess up with UI on PC. If it's true and UI is optimised for consoles it's a bad sign. That mean that company is aiming for making more money rather than making game confortable for all players. And I mean the examples of Blizzard and Rockstart who spend extra money and time to create propper UI for each platform. It's a shame less and less companies are going this way. It's easier to make not good enough UI or controll scheme and release on all platform at the same time. Yes game supports mods and maybe people will make propper UI for PC but we don't know when they will relese RedEngine kit for modders. So it will take a lot of time before we will see any mods.

Sirnaq, I'm not convinced that 'they don't want people to use KB&M', I suspect that they may be concerned with the larger Console market & simply target their promotion accordingly. :)

Well, forcing pc oriented youtubers to play with controller seems counterproductive isn't it? Their audience isn't console players and many of them got used to m&k footage. Also i don't agree that controller footage looks any smoother, rather more artificial than anything.

Well, forcing pc oriented youtubers to play with controller seems counterproductive isn't it? Their audience isn't console players and many of them got used to m&k footage. Also i don't agree that controller footage looks any smoother, rather more artificial than anything.

For the youtubers it was said that they played with controllers due to some bug with the mouse controls, I think one of the Russian youtubers said that.

In any case I don't think there will be issues with the M+K controls, but because the hope to address a large console market, they show that the game is played just as well on a controller.

Sirnaq, I'm not convinced that 'they don't want people to use KB&M', I suspect that they may be concerned with the larger Console market & simply target their promotion accordingly. :)

Funny how almost all the footage and gameplay up to this point has been on a PC. They want to promote the console base but not demonstrate the game on the consoles. There's a word for this.

My theory is that they are not showing m&k footage because they know themselves as a pc gamers that the game supposed to be played with controller and not m&k. They put the option there, because otherwise they would lose a lot of pc gamers but they discourage people to use it at any time.

And yeah, as gopher said, the controls with m&k are "alright", what do you expect him to say? Ofcourse they are "alright", they were "alright" in souls games, but that's not because the implementation is any good, but because m&k is pretty damn good control scheme, especially for those skilled in it. That doesn't change the fact that you probably wouldn't be able to fully control camera distance to the character (which is automatic, again controller feature) etc.

But we need m&k footage to know if there is retardation like mouse smoothing or negative acceleration, not to mention they promised different ui for m&k.

Gonna wait for total biscuit video, he gonna focus on stuff like that.

Last edited:
I would love to see a Total Biscuit review of W3, in him I trust, but to all Witcher fans, do we really think that CD PR will release a bad game? Not on past form I think. Yeah, there are nuances to be argued, but I'm considering pre-ordering for the first time in all my years of gaming to help support CD PR. Normally I wait for full reviews and sales or special offers. I've been so impressed with the Witcher series content that I'm confident they won't disappoint there, it's just the tech side that may be less than expectations, and maybe some of us have very high expectations. :)

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt with Keyboard + Mouse

As the game getting nearer to the May 19th release, I can't help but notice the lack of in game coverage using keyboard+mouse, CDPR didn't give the option the select few Youtubers that were recently invited to Poland to play with keyboard+mouse either.

Recently, I read PC Gamer interview with TW3 level designer Miles Tost (dated Jan 26th 2015) and would like to zoom in to these 2 Q&A:

PC Gamer: I used a controller to play because that’s what the demo was set up for, but I’m curious about how the mouse and keyboard controls are coming. There are things like Geralt’s spells, for example, and you can only select one at a time on a radial menu. Is there a reason for that? It feels like they could be mapped to hotkeys.

Miles Tost: I’m not 100 percent sure, but I think there is a way to quickly cycle between those skills on keyboards, and there might even still be one on the controllers. I’m not 100 percent sure. Basically, quick slot switching, and that’s something more easily implemented on keyboard, for obvious reasons, because you have more buttons within reach. But, truth is that the PC controls are still being tweaked.

PC Gamer: Do have a sense of what’s preferred? Do you guys prefer playing with a controller?

Miles Tost: No, I personally prefer playing with a mouse and keyboard myself. We’re constantly switching around things, you know, optimizing things. With the controllers we’re pretty much there. There might be some minor tweaks happening after these events according to the feedback we’re getting, but the PC controls, being the keyboard and mouse, you have so many more buttons. There’s so much more variety of what you can do, and we still haven’t found our optimal way. So, we’re still working on that. But we’re fairly confident in that, because most of the people in our company are actually PC gamers themselves, so there’s a personal interest.

I interpret the above comments by Miles to be not so optimistic, granted that things might change for the better the fact that the above statements were made few months ago. However, the fact remains that I still don't see/hear official news and response from CDPR with regards to kb+m functionality and thus, remain edgy unless there's official update from CDPR as I've stated earlier.

PS: I'm not the only one that is going to play TW3 with kb+m right? :ermm:

Interview source: http://www.pcgamer.com/the-witcher-3-level-designer-on-the-delay-pc-controls-and-world-building-2/

PS: I'm not the only one that is going to play TW3 with kb+m right?

Of course not, if there is anything that bothers me more than the downgrade fiasco is the fact they didn't showed us any KB/M footage. I don't know what will happen if out of 100 videos they make 1 with KB/M ? will it upset console players ? no idea but not showing anything to your core fanbase is definitely upsetting them.

PS: I'm not the only one that is going to play TW3 with kb+m right? :ermm:

No. I have to admit that i will use the controller during the first week after release (gosh, i will suck at it), because i will move my PC to the living room and connect it to the projector. I can't play with kb+m while sitting on the couch - but i want to see the scenery on the big screen and with proper surround sound during the first days... then my husband will banish me and Geralt from the living room anyways. I hope CDPR has fixed all the possible issues with m&kb until then.

Gopher (One of the YouTubers) invited to the event said in his Q&A that he was asked to play with a controller but he did try out M+K for around half and hour and to him it worked perfectly. He speculated IIRC that the only reason they weren't allow to play with it was that there might have be some bug in there somewhere although he didn't encounter any problems. So I think you can be absolutely calm about this and it will work just fine when the game is released.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG7WxKnoFw0&index=5&list=PLE7DlYarj-DeoMiGmD9BJOuYiM331f1pl

Don't know the exact spot where it is but the question and answer is in there somewhere in those two and a half hours.

Gopher (One of the YouTubers) invited to the event said in his Q&A that he was asked to play with a controller but he did try out M+K for around half and hour and to him it worked perfectly. He speculated IIRC that the only reason they weren't allow to play with it was that there might have be some bug in there somewhere although he didn't encounter any problems. So I think you can be absolutely calm about this and it will work just fine when the game is released.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG7WxKnoFw0&index=5&list=PLE7DlYarj-DeoMiGmD9BJOuYiM331f1pl

Don't know the exact spot where it is but the question and answer is in there somewhere in those two and a half hours.
41:48 http://www.twitch.tv/gophergaming/v/4652284 Now let's all relax and do some tai-chi or something.

Top Bottom