PC mouse and keyboard controls

+
@OliverDK

Thanks, yes I know this too though that credit goes to Gopher who ninjaed KB/M controls or somehow managed to try them. I am calm to be honest though it would have been much better if they tell some youtubers that you can try KB/M controls but we're still in the process of optimization so don't worry if you face some bugs/issues we're working on them but just prohibiting them to try it kinda looks awkward.

Anyway I think this thing has been said before so I won't rub it, I hope we get great controls.

@White_Wolf77

I hope so too mate :)

I can't say that much, since my point of view is of course purely subjective, but when I play the game at my desk right now, I use keyboard and mouse (although I have a controller lying right next to me).

I understand that it's subjective, but I guess one of the things that me and many others want to know is that, is kb+m feel responsive? The lack of kb+m coverage is really raising suspicion and that kinda make me restless(I don't like playing PC games with controller) :'(

---------- Updated at 01:48 PM ----------

Gopher (One of the YouTubers) invited to the event said in his Q&A that he was asked to play with a controller but he did try out M+K for around half and hour and to him it worked perfectly. He speculated IIRC that the only reason they weren't allow to play with it was that there might have be some bug in there somewhere although he didn't encounter any problems. So I think you can be absolutely calm about this and it will work just fine when the game is released.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG7WxKnoFw0&index=5&list=PLE7DlYarj-DeoMiGmD9BJOuYiM331f1pl

Don't know the exact spot where it is but the question and answer is in there somewhere in those two and a half hours.

Ok I just watched it and heard Gopher mention him playing TW3 with kb+m for 30 mins. It's at about 38 minute mark onwards. Well, his comment about it put me at ease a little :)

So PS4 players are going to have some pretty cool features with their controllers.. now I really hope that the M+K controls, mainly in menus (inventory, map, journal,etc.) are going to work really good - and please not in TW2 style .. if not, rage from PC players will follow

Theres the typical vibration. Touchpad swipes will give them instant access to inventory, map, and something else.. I think it was skills? There is also some useless lightbar functionality where it changes color based on the sign you use. The touchpad thing is very cool though.

Theres the typical vibration. Touchpad swipes will give them instant access to inventory, map, and something else.. I think it was skills? There is also some useless lightbar functionality where it changes color based on the sign you use. The touchpad thing is very cool though.

Hmm, no wonder why they are keen on showing off controllers they spent some good time working on them, well more curiosity for PC players....

-10 days for release
-not a single footage on kb+m controls .....

why they are doing that? well because if we dont like kb+m controls we cant say anyting until release date and then they have no obligattion to change anything

give up people this game was designed for controls

Last edited:
-10 days for release
-not a single footage on kb+m controls .....

why they are doing that? well because if we dont like kb+m controls we cant say anyting until release date and then they have no obligattion to change anything

give up people this game was designed for controls

Review embargo is set to be 12th of may. I guess you'll have more than enough experience before making your purchase decision. I would've preferred earlier information too, but now it's just three days to go.

Review embargo is set to be 12th of may. I guess you'll have more than enough experience before making your purchase decision. I would've preferred earlier information too, but now it's just three days to go.
They haven't sent PC copies out for review. So, we'll know noting about KB/M controls when pre-release reviews come out.

but those embargo copies are for console version, retail pc are the only version who needs an activation

i just want with the redkit (i hope they release fall this year but i doubt) we can change thing we didnt like it

tbh, at this point, I'm expecting... issues with KB/M controls. I get the feeling situation is developing similar to Dragon Age Inquisition for... similar reasons.

Let me explain. Here are couple of quotes from developer who worked on DAI and in his own words
I was the one that signed off on the system from a QA perspective across all 5 platforms including both M&KB and controller support for the PC.

While I'm technical quality assurance (I do more system based testing, so I make sure the system itself is working as expected and to specification, I don't play through the game consistently or anything like that)
Makes sense. You make sure "it works" at minimum before you worry whether it works "great" or not. However, the question is did both controller and KB/M controls receive the same level of attention... keep reading

I do have a preference to the controller for DAI, but I think it's important to acknowledge that throughout much of development I was supporting 5 different platforms, 4 of which required me to use the controller. It's what I'm most experienced with.
It makes sense again, but... this is were KB/M PC player might start to worry.

For myself, I love PC gaming for its flexibility. Mouse and Keyboard does provide fantastic strengths for games that many controller exclusive games cannot provide.
This is where KB/M player would expect that the game is developed to take advantage of them [for example, being able to cast signs easily thanks to many keys on keyboard], much like PS4 player would expect that the game takes advantage of PS4 controller [for example, touchpad] Are both input devices going to receive the same level of attention?

I did, however, use the M&KB controls during development. I also took a quick jaunt through them just now through the prologue just to familiarize myself with them again. As a PC gamer, the M&KB controls for DAI aren't a huge issue for me. Many of my biases will influence this I suspect. I'm naturally a WASD player with M&KB anyways, so that adjustment "made sense" for me.
I understand, but this isn't looking good for KB/M player, is it?

Now, I know this isn't DAI. However, the thing is there are 2 controller operated consoles in the picture with userbase potentially 2x larger than PC userbase. There could easily be business decisions and/or various unintentional or intentional decisions made that will leave KB/M controls with "lower priority" status. KB/M will "work", but is it going to work as good for PC players as controller works for console players?

Well... considering what we have seen/heard so far or rather what we have not seen.... I would say there are legitimate reasons to worry. There is a difference between "good enough" and "great" controls. I see some similarities with DAI situation here and I can't help but feel that controller has been in use for a very long time now during development of TW3 while KB/M is being fine tuned 5 minutes before midnight, which if true, would not be a good news.

While I keep telling myself "it's going to be ok, wait for release day when you can play the game yourself", I can't help but worry console version has been prioritized at some point for various practical and financial reasons.

Of course it's important to note that regardless of any of these issues, there is still a great story,characters and world to enjoy.
I keep telling myself "it's going to be ok" but, with recent negativity and lack of news in some areas, I can't help it... I'm worried, very worried PC will receive "2nd class citizen status" and KB/M will be yet another victim of that much like graphics.

Full post from DAI dev and a link to thread
Just as a note since some people I think think I'm some PR rep or "PIO" or whatever. I'm a dev that worked on this game for 3 years, so when I respond it's "a member of the staff" that's responding. In fact, the last 1.5 years I was on the combat team as a QA embed and in fact Tactical Camera was even one of the systems I supported (set phasers to stun). I was the one that signed off on the system from a QA perspective across all 5 platforms including both M&KB and controller support for the PC.

While I'm technical quality assurance (I do more system based testing, so I make sure the system itself is working as expected and to specification, I don't play through the game consistently or anything like that), I did help organize content QA (the ones that play through the content more consistently and systematically) to play through the game entirely through Tac Cam. Our goal was to actually let the game be playable in its entirety in Tactical Camera mode, but those playthroughs saw, frankly, really bizarre (and often fatal) issues under a wide variety of disconnected circumstances relating to looting, transitions/triggers, as well as interacting. Some of them we had to fix (transitions/triggers) because we definitely wanted players to be able to enter Tactical Camera at their convenience (very useful for starting fights) rather than restrict it to the player being in combat. Others were complicated and erratic enough fixes that they ended up disabled.

As for the strengths of the PC and the PC fanbase, there starts to come into the kind of existential "What does it mean to be a PC gamer?" I'm a PC gamer too and have been almost exclusively since 1999 (Half-Life). I have heard that somewhere there has been some people pointing to the fact that I use a controller in my Let's Play as an indictment towards M&KB controls. I do have a preference to the controller for DAI, but I think it's important to acknowledge that throughout much of development I was supporting 5 different platforms, 4 of which required me to use the controller. It's what I'm most experienced with. But it also comes down to what, I think, are different things that we demand from PC gaming.

For myself, I love PC gaming for its flexibility. Mouse and Keyboard does provide fantastic strengths for games that many controller exclusive games cannot provide. At the same time, I've owned a controller for my computer since 2002 going back to the Gravis Gamepad Pro. I've also owned a Saitek gamepad and now use a 360 gamepad which sits next to my Saitek joystick. I was disappointed that we didn't ship with controller support for DA2, and delighted when I heard that we were going to officially support it for DAI. For me, that's a huge strength of the platform. I want to stress that this does not invalidate other people valuing the platform in a different way. It's why I was able to play a game like Dark Souls, where I was able to leverage superior hardware to endure places like Blighttown (notorious for poor performance) despite having a M&KB control scheme that I found awkward to play with as well.

I did, however, use the M&KB controls during development. I also took a quick jaunt through them just now through the prologue just to familiarize myself with them again. As a PC gamer, the M&KB controls for DAI aren't a huge issue for me. Many of my biases will influence this I suspect. I'm naturally a WASD player with M&KB anyways, so that adjustment "made sense" for me. I'd like to see wider loot radius (especially since jump and interact are different buttons on M&KB and won't conflict), and I think remapping mouse controls (as well as Tactical Camera controls) would probably help me put the control scheme in a way that requires the least amount of adjustment. That said, the way the controls stand now I don't think they'd impact my own enjoyment of the game very much beyond the short term adjustments.

But if you value other stuff as a PC gamer then yeah, I can see how we have that disconnect in terms of how acceptable the PC controls are. It's further understandable when looked at the context of expectation based on previous games. I don't feel I'm being dishonest when I say I think the PC game experience for DAI is enjoyable, but again that doesn't mean you're being dishonest either when you say that you find it frustrating, unexpected, and unpleasant.

Maybe not necessarily the "best" post you're looking for from a staff member working on the game, but at the very least I do hope you believe that it is a sincere one.

Take care.

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/521697-pc-community-concerns/?bioware=1

Last edited:
So did anybody else seen the PC manual to the game? One thing : Strong Attack = Left mouse button + Shift.. I don't know how i feel about this

And what about upgraded sings? We need to hold Q to cast them?

Last edited:
I'm sure CDPR make KB+M run fine... but this is my concern. A PC KB+M company from the very begining could let thier KB+M just run fine. Nothing about intuitive, quick responsive in combat, handle combo keys.... calificatives I think (maybe I'm wrong) are used for testers about controllers.... What about equality between them? This is not like graphics or resolutions where anyone can see the differents physical limitations of each of them. When KB+M system is correct one uses fine to define it. When is good, when combat system responses like the player wants as quickly as his fingers click, one's doesn't say fine, one says good, great or awesome.

Fine is still the term which worry me. May I?

I agree Wichat. They've not done a commendable job of reassuring PC players. Fine...is well, just that. I honestly expect good, after playing with fine controls in TW2.

The manual is out: (not sure if I should link it or not..waiting on confirmation on that one from any of the mods).

I really hope we get to rebind..Shift + Mouse click for Strong Attack? Scroll crossbow? Yeah..no.

I really hope we get full rebindable keys as advertised because I don't wanna press 3.4 5, 6, 7 for signs when I have so many keys near WASD available.

Strong attack requiring two inputs is not good in theory. not for a twitch-based system. Scroll for crossbow can most likely be remapped. I know for myself, I liked having strong and light mapped to left and right mouse buttons. Also, number to select sign and then Q to fire it? We can't just press one key to fire a sign now?...ugh. I'm not liking this. Hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
If default mapping means full rebindable It's fine too me. But I still missing reviews about how responsive are in game. The higher level character means speeder moves and more combos... are the keys and mouse quick enough?

I don't know about you, but I use all my number keys above QWERT.. so I would love to use 1 - 5 for normal signs and 6-10 for upgraded versions, but sadly this isn't going to happen in this game..shame

Top Bottom