Character Appearances

+
This pretty much. I consider it a sign of civilization , especially in summer time when you are taking the public bus. :( God forbid those man...thinking that being a Neanderthal makes you manly. Not to mention all civilized cultures of ancient times used to shave themselves. Greeks, Romans and Ancient Egyptians.....the hairy ones were the barbarians.....

Yeah, but Witcher world is the most closest to mediaval times, and well, people from those times aren't famous for having paid attention to hygiene-- nobility maybe, but not the common folk

Yeah, but Witcher world is the most closest to mediaval times, and well, people from those times aren't famous for having paid attention to hygiene-- nobility maybe, but not the common folk
Medieval Europeans generally washed themselves - it was during the Renaissance that the style turned to very infrequent bathing and covering up the resulting dirt and odor with heavy use of perfumes and cosmetics.

Call me nitpicky, but I find these details nice. Characters without any body hair at all rub me the wrong way (not to mention characters who had body hair in the previous games, if that is indeed Zoltan in the screenshot, which I'm pretty sure it is).

Medieval Europeans generally washed themselves - it was during the Renaissance that the style turned to very infrequent bathing and covering up the resulting dirt and odor with heavy use of perfumes and cosmetics.

I really don't believe it was a common practice this, mainly in Central Europe.. well, washing maybe, but shaving the entire body?... no

This has nothing to do with hygiene. You can shave your armpits but shave your legs and chest? what does chest and leg hair have to do with hygiene? Well actually i believe there is no hygiene involved anyway other than that hairy armpits aren't a nice sight but still take a look at some famous "hairy" men like Hugh Jackman, Bradley Cooper, Ryan Reynolds, Henry Cavill and compare them when they shave and when they have their hair nicely trimmed, chest hair that is.

Combine that with a nice beard and you have the definition of a "man". Trimmed chest hair, nice beard heck even shave the armpits and voila. Shave everything and you look like a teenage boy.

I really don't believe it was a common practice this, mainly in Central Europe.. well, washing maybe, but shaving the entire body?... no
I was referring to washing. I think you're probably right about shaving body hair but don't know for sure - medieval styles on male hair changed a lot over time and space - some had long hair, some cut shirt, some partially shaved heads, etc. so I can imagine there might have been some variation in shaving other hair - still it looks odd and out of place. Most male head and facial hair styles as well as sartorial styles during the Middle Ages tended to emphasize masculinity, not promote a feminized/young boy look, so I think it likely styles in grooming body hair also avoided this look.

Well Geralt seem to disagree with you, he seems manly and hot but hey if you like hairy man that is your personal prerogative.

That discussion :lol:

So if I sum up, you`re not a man if you don`t grow any chest hair (you know a lot of men, particularly in asia but not only, just naturally don`t have any right?), and a filthy caveman if you don`t shave your armpits. One does learn new things every days indeed.

So Geralt could just naturally don`t have any chest hair, and putting those on legs and armpits was probably too much trouble for nothing. A bit concerned if no character has any chest hair though, especially dwarves.

Well Geralt seem to disagree with you, he seems manly and hot but hey if you like hairy man that is your personal prerogative.

Only redeeming factor in Geralt is his beard. "Hotness" has nothing to do with hair. I never said that with or without chest hair you look any more or less "hot".
But there is a difference between a "hot" man and a "hot" teenager. Geralt is something in between now cause of that beard.

Of course don't let me speak about the dwarves too but that is another talk.

Well, I have more a problem with this because his design, his head, his beard, his hairless body, his way too muscular body, etc. looks more "modern", more "american" so to speak.., Sapkowski and his books, and TW1 were anything but modern or mainstream (yes, I know that in the books there are many themes taken from modern times like ecology problems, racism, etc.).. and well Geralt or Zoltan looking like some bodybuilders is just wrong - now Geralt looks more stereotypical - the modern western stereotypical hero.. in TW1 he looked just like the books described him.. maybe worse than in books but still more faithful to them than in TW2 (where he was still fine) or in TW3.. and it's going to be funny that Geralt is going to be most famous thanks to TW3, where I think almost everyone is going to let him grow a beard, when in fact he hated them in books

Well, I have more a problem with this because his design, his head, his beard, his hairless body, his way too muscular body, etc. looks more "modern", more "american" so to speak.., Sapkowski and his books, and TW1 were anything but modern or mainstream (yes, I know that in the books there are many themes taken from modern times like ecology problems, racism, etc.).. and well Geralt or Zoltan looking like some bodybuilders is just wrong - now Geralt looks more stereotypical - the modern western stereotypical hero.. in TW1 he looked just like the books described him.. maybe worse than in books but still more faithful to them than in TW2 (where he was still fine) or in TW3.. and it's going to be funny that Geralt is going to be most famous thanks to TW3, where I think almost everyone is going to let him grow a beard, when in fact he hated them in books

I think he looked best in TW2, in TW1 he was just too ugly and looked like a freaking alien
on TW3 I agree they made him a bit too generic and good looking

I think he looked best in TW2, in TW1 he was just too ugly and looked like a freaking alien
on TW3 I agree they made him a bit too generic and good looking

I am so used to Geralt from TW2 that it will take me awhile to get used to him in the TW3.

I think they struck such a good balance in the second game, that square face and jaw, that perfect nose, that piercing look, that pose...just perfect.

Speaking of character appearances, look at the manual (If you want to) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62017531/Manual.pdf and tell me who do u think that is at the page where all the interface is being explaied under number 14....I think I see a familiar face!

---------- Updated at 07:50 PM ----------

Who ´d wanna have hair that traps the odor as they sweat under their armpits?

Guest 3702081

It's Ves?
The haircut and the collar fit.

I am surprised at how red the facial scars on Geralt and Ciri appear. On most real life people I have seen such scars (unless fresh obviously), they tend to be slightly lighter or paler in color than their complexion, not so red. I don't think this is entirely due to modern cosmetic procedures, though these could speed up the process.

Yep thats what I was thinking!

It might be somebody else though. But it does look like her.

But I don´t know whether she is relevant at all to my story since I did not spend much time with her in TW2 as I took the other path.

Speaking from a purely scientific perspective ... that is absolute bullshit. There's no correlation between hygiene and shaven armpits or - god forbit - the genital area. The idea that an unshaven body is somehow unclean is a marketing ploy used by the advertising industry in order to sell more body care products.

Top Bottom