Unofficial FAQ for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

+
Does this game support MSAA FXAA or TXAA ? or just normal AA and ubersampling like the witcher 2 ?
I just hate jaggies on full HD i am going to use MSAA for sure if its support it, iam not really a big fan of TXAA neither FXAA blurry things to much texture wise.

Minor update to main list, to address recurring question about equipment imports. Unfortunately, I still cannot locate the video of the GOG.com Twitch stream with Miles Tost ( @MilezZ ).

Short answer: TW3's Ubersampling is a form of SSAA. As with SSAA in general, it is both very effective and computationally very expensive. On PS4, the game has a form of temporal AA (like TXAA, only different). I know of no other built-in AA technologies that they are employing. The Balázs Török interview denied that there would be TXAA on the PC, but confirmed a similar technology on the PS4.

There are three closely related methods of brute-force AA: FSAA, MSAA, and SSAA. All of them operate by producing more pixels or partial pixels than are used in the final image, and applying a filter to them.

FSAA is usually synonymous with Downsampling. The entire image is generated at a higher resolution than will be displayed. Then pixels are downsampled to produce the displayed image. The common method of downsampling 4K to 1080p is an example of this. Because 4 pixels are averaged to produce each displayed pixel, it can be described as 4x FSAA.

SSAA is an improvement on FSAA in two ways: the extra pixels are averaged as they are generated, which avoids generating the entire image before filtering; and the pixels can be positioned in a geometry that improves the antialiasing of edges that are not on the 45-degree diagonals. Ubersampling is an example of an SSAA method.

MSAA is an optimization of SSAA that doesn't attempt to antialias every component. (Pixels have six components: 3 colors, alpha, depth, and stencil.) MSAA anti-aliases only the depth and stencil components. This gives a result that favors anti-aliasing of edges and shadows, but doesn't touch interiors of polygons.

"Plain old antialiasing", which is what you get when you force antialiasing from the nVidia or AMD control panel, generally means MSAA, but each vendor has their own enhancements.

FXAA and TXAA are nVidia-driven enhancements to AA logic. Getting the best result with these requires support in the game engine itself. CDPR has said they are not using these, except for the TXAA-like feature on the PS4. [Source: Balázs Török interview]

Last edited:
Short answer: TW3's Ubersampling is a form of SSAA. As with SSAA in general, it is both very effective and computationally very expensive. On PS4, the game has a form of temporal AA (like TXAA, only different). I know of no other built-in AA technologies that they are employing. The Balázs Török interview denied that there would be TXAA on the PC, but confirmed a similar technology on the PS4.

There are three closely related methods of brute-force AA: FSAA, MSAA, and SSAA. All of them operate by producing more pixels or partial pixels than are used in the final image, and applying a filter to them.

FSAA is usually synonymous with Downsampling. The entire image is generated at a higher resolution than will be displayed. Then pixels are downsampled to produce the displayed image. The common method of downsampling 4K to 1080p is an example of this. Because 4 pixels are averaged to produce each displayed pixel, it can be described as 4x FSAA.

SSAA is an improvement on FSAA in two ways: the extra pixels are averaged as they are generated, which avoids generating the entire image before filtering; and the pixels can be positioned in a geometry that improves the antialiasing of edges that are not on the 45-degree diagonals. Ubersampling is an example of an SSAA method.

MSAA is an optimization of SSAA that doesn't attempt to antialias every component. (Pixels have six components: 3 colors, alpha, depth, and stencil.) MSAA anti-aliases only the depth and stencil components. This gives a result that favors anti-aliasing of edges and shadows, but doesn't touch interiors of polygons.

"Plain old antialiasing", which is what you get when you force antialiasing from the nVidia or AMD control panel, generally means MSAA, but each vendor has their own enhancements.

FXAA and TXAA are nVidia-driven enhancements to AA logic. Getting the best result with these requires support in the game engine itself. CDPR has said they are not using these, except for the TXAA-like feature on the PS4. [Source: Balázs Török interview]

I understand wich AA technologies are available, but my question was or is does the witcher 3 only support SSAA [uber sampling] ? no normal AA or MSAA ?
Because SSAA is kinda demanding, so thats why i was curious.

Metro Last Light for an example uses SSAA its looks beautiful on 1080p with my GTX 980 sli but anything higher then 2x it wil make my game a slideshow xD

Last edited:
The only AA technology built into the PC game engine that has been given mention is SSAA (Ubersampling). Yeah, it's brutal to compute. PS4 has that TXAA work-alike, which is probably there because PS4 couldn't do SSAA, or even MSAA at a high multiple.

Whether the game will play nice with AA forced from the driver control panel is anybody's guess at this point. But that would give you MSAA.

Will there be a notice board for random monster contracts like the bounty hunts in Red Dead Redemption? Not subject to 'linar' narrative but more to do with adding to replay ability.

Random monster, random spot.

Will there be a notice board for random monster contracts like the bounty hunts in Red Dead Redemption? Not subject to 'linar' narrative but more to do with adding to replay ability.

Random monster, random spot.

If by 'random monster contracts' you mean randomly generated contracts, which change from game to game, and have no story attached to them, no, there don't appear to be any of these. The writers have spent quite a bit of time crafting each quest, as they've repeated often, and have invented stories, large or small, for every quest and contract. Since stories are a driving force in the game, I doubt random, shallow contracts would have been a high priority. However, this is not to say the game will always be the same, as there are many ways of completing some quests, and, thus, quite a few different play-throughs possible. Completing some quests may even close others off. But, if you wish to wander in the wilds, just fighting monsters, and ignoring storied quests, we are told there can be all sorts of unique encounters -- because of the AI -- with various combinations of monsters appearing together.

Quest design is a very complex topic in the game, as it has quite a few variables. I'm still looking for a good article that explains their approach to quests, and, if anyone else knows a good one, feel free to add it. This one isn't bad, though: http://comicbook.com/2015/04/07/the-witcher-3-developers-promise-you-wont-find-two-identical-sid/

Last edited:
As much information as I know about that issue would be in this thread: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...t-Language-availability?p=1631046#post1631046

I'm not sure if you can load two different language versions using the same save file. I honestly doubt that your save file would work for different versions of the game. But I've been wrong many times before.

I didn't mean to sound like I was saying you were complaining. I was saying that other people complaining may have caused them to go with a different color scheme on the design.

Here is a thread discussing the issue. http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/35035-User-Interface-Comparison

Ahh thank you. I was searching for a thread like that but didn't find it. Cheers

Is using magic that needed ? Like i i have no clue about witcher lore , but from gameplays i see Gerald as superb warrior and for me its kinda akward tofor him magicaly spawn flame wall against enemys , XD So the question , can i maximaze one playstyle and totally not care for magick ?

Is using magic that needed ? Like i i have no clue about witcher lore , but from gameplays i see Gerald as superb warrior and for me its kinda akward tofor him magicaly spawn flame wall against enemys , XD So the question , can i maximaze one playstyle and totally not care for magick ?

There are three disciplines: Swordsmanship, Alchemy, and Signs (Magic). You can develop the one you favour most, or make a combination of the three. Each branch has its own strengths and weaknesses, but they are all viable routes for playing the game.

So the question , can i maximaze one playstyle and totally not care for magick ?

Yes you can concentrate on swordplay, magic (called signs) or alchemy, or a hybrid build of any of the three. Regardless of your build you will still have the ability to cast signs without any upgrades. Some enemies will likely be more vulnerable to one type of attack than other types.

Edit: :ninja: Well played sir. Well played.

Edit: :ninja: Well played sir. Well played.

Top Bottom