TW3 Save game import

+
I'm assuming that this is just an option... Like, if you never played any Witcher game, you can skip this questions, right?
I don't wanna make choices, based on something I never did.
Well, although you didn't play the previous games Geralt still experienced them, so it would make sense for you to listen to the guy to find out about the most important events of the recent past to better put your current situation to context, but as Lieste says, it's all optional.

Is there some official statement of what old savegame will change in the witcher 3?

in the PC manual, which can be found in the LINK News Thread, it says any save game from the witcher 2 will suffice. it recommends the later in the game the save is, the better, but if you take something from earlier in the game, the game will choose default decisions for the later decisions from the tw2.

i hope that makes sense.

If I complete TW2 on 360 will that carry over to TW3 XB1?

or is it only with PC transferring to XB1 the only way to transfer? and if so, what exactly do you transfer over? I thought you didnt need the last game to play this one..

or is it only with PC transferring to XB1 the only way to transfer? and if so, what exactly do you transfer over? I thought you didnt need the last game to play this one..

You do not need the previous game to play The Witcher III. As far as I know, only PC saves can be transferred on PC. For consoles, an in-game dialogue will allow you to recreate your story-decisions from the previous titles.

I am pretty sure they said you will speak with an NPC early on in the game about prior events, describing what happened and this will set the TW3 world to match what you describe happened in TW2. This is for all versions of the game (PC, XBOX, PS4). This will not import items (armor, weapons, etc.), just add or remove NPCS depending on who you said lived or died and perhaps alter some political situations or relationships between Geralt and various NPCs. Or at least that is my understanding.

I think I've missed it, but did they confirm whether any items will be imported? I got all my dark items + 12 or so various swords hoping at least something will get imported.

I think I've missed it, but did they confirm whether any items will be imported? I got all my dark items + 12 or so various swords hoping at least something will get imported.

Miles Tost, in the most recent GOG.com Twitch, replied to my question on the subject. It seems, unfortunately, no -- apparently, no equipment transfer.

Last edited:
Miles Tost, in the most recent GOG.com Twitch, replied to my question on the subject. It seems, unfortunately, no -- apparently, no equipment transfer.

This surprised me. I went and found the Twitch video to confirm. The didn't directly say it. I'm not sure how to feel, to be honest. I guess I'm not completely bummed out since the game looks amazing and everything is amazing and I hate tw2 designs mostly anyway. At least, that's what I'm telling myself. Thanks for asking that question.

This surprised me. I went and found the Twitch video to confirm. The didn't directly say it. I'm not sure how to feel, to be honest. I guess I'm not completely bummed out since the game looks amazing and everything is amazing and I hate tw2 designs mostly anyway. At least, that's what I'm telling myself. Thanks for asking that question.

Where did you find the video? I'm still searching for it. I can't find it on Youtube, or Twitch.

when doing the import, only the "autosave" at the very end of tw2 works. If you've saved only manual saves then you better reinstall it and do the last bit with letho for the autosave again before the game releases.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/05...-featuring-tons-of-gameplay-and-developer-qa/

It works so long as you're on that page. If you accidentally double click (i.e. while trying to pause) it will take you to the Twitch stream that doesn't exist.

Ay, Thank you. Well, now that I watched it again, I'm a bit more uncertain. The question is, as you say not directly answered. Łukasz's -- unfortunately, rather faltering -- reply sounds as though it is only the story-decisions, but Miles' answer is less clear. He seems to be saying that everything will be a fresh start, as a new game, and that players will not miss the old gear, as there'll be plenty of new stuff, although he is not as explicit as we might like. He does say 'it's mostly' story-decisions, though. . . .

when doing the import, only the "autosave" at the very end of tw2 works. If you've saved only manual saves then you better reinstall it and do the last bit with letho for the autosave again before the game releases.

Do you have a source? Not doubting you, but it'd be cool to read it myself.

Ay, Thank you. Well, now that I watched it again, I'm a bit more uncertain. The question is, as you say not directly answered. Łukasz's -- unfortunately, rather faltering -- reply sounds as though it is only the story-decisions, but Miles' answer is less clear. He seems to be saying that everything will be a fresh start, as a new game, and that players will not miss the old gear, as there'll be plenty of new stuff, although he is not as explicit as we might like. He does say 'it's mostly' story-decisions, though.

To be safe, I'm going to import my save files regardless, but I'm not going to hold the expectation that there will be imported equipment. I think that's the best way to go if I don't want to disappoint myself. I'm willing to accept the new gear. It's just a matter of letting go, which is something Miles said a few times throughout the stream in regards to armour and so forth. I don't think there's going to be an import.

To be safe, I'm going to import my save files regardless, but I'm not going to hold the expectation that there will be imported equipment. I think that's the best way to go if I don't want to disappoint myself. I'm willing to accept the new gear. It's just a matter of letting go, which is something Miles said a few times throughout the stream in regards to armour and so forth. I don't think there's going to be an import.

That's the impression I get from the responses. Most probably not.

---------- Updated at 12:33 AM ----------

Ay, do you have a source for this?

That's the impression I get from the responses. Most probably not.

---------- Updated at 12:33 AM ----------

Ay, do you have a source for this?

my source was that I downloaded the witcher 3 manual and it says exactly that. Use the autosave at the end for tw2, not a manual save or it won't import the very ending decisions.

You can find the link for the manual here http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/34394-LINKS-ONLY-Witcher-3-News/page29

I won't post the link directly as it may be considered posting leaked information.

make sure your autosave is in %SystemDrive%\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents\Witcher 2\gamesaves

Here's a direct quote:

Any The Witcher 2 saved games present in that folder can be imported into The Witcher 3: Wild
Hunt. However, it is highly recommended you use the final autosave from Act 3 of The Witcher 2,
as any earlier saves will not incorporate choices made in the latter stages of the game. Default
settings will be applied to any choices not imported

Last edited:
In the interest of confirming this point, I examined this section of the manual, and then discarded it, for personal reasons. It was as I expected, and this seems to add nothing particularly new to our knowledge. It appears any save from The Witcher 2 will work, but only the final auto-save will import the complete decisions.

While you guys were taking sneak peeks at the manual, did you also notice if there was a mention of the TW2 game version? There were some changes to the savegame format between 2.0 and EE. It may not be enough to matter though.

Top Bottom