PC mouse and keyboard controls

+
After seeing the PC manual: Not happy about: 1 select Aard, 2 Igni, 3 Yrden, etc...
Q to cast Sign.

I was hoping for 1 - cast Aaard instantly , 2 - cast Igni instantly..

As Dragonbird says, different strokes for different folks. I prefer it to select the sign. I never have the coordination to deal with the instant consequences of casting the wrong sign. Hopefully you'll be able to rebind the way you like it, though.

I don't know what to say. Seeing default assignment I could only think how terrible it is. After playing a while with it I found out that I will probably change 10-11 out of 29 buttons. Just my opinion, but this is crazier than Dark Souls 2 on keyboard+mouse which I learned to play. Only one thing bothers me... how am I supposed to reach out to 7 to choose a sign during combat. It was much better in W2 to just scroll by repeatedly pushing 3 for signs and 4 for bombs/daggers.

Last edited:
Im genuinely worried now as i aswell tend to rebind over 10 keys.

Just with the signs, Mouse button 4+5 for Yrden and Igni,R key for Aard, V key for Quen, dont use Axii, and i havent even begun with the other stuff.

Not to mention how responsive it will be? Delays on KB+M actions are just................:mean:

Last edited:
mavowar. While I sympathise with your disappointment, I have to say that you're a clear case of over expectations. I see this all too often on various forums. We're all super eager for the next & better version of a great game but we expect too much I feel. Plus we get sidetracked into ethical issues & business practices, when after all's said and done, it's a game. I'm confident that W3 will be better in many ways than W2 which I really enjoyed playing, & that's all I expect. As to business ethics, CD PR are a company surviving in a fiercely competitive field & doing ok by me. There's loads worse business practice out there, Bhopal compensation betrayal, clothes industry exploitation (collapsing buildings) etc. to really get angry about.

mavowar. While I sympathise with your disappointment, I have to say that you're a clear case of over expectations. I see this all too often on various forums. We're all super eager for the next & better version of a great game but we expect too much I feel. Plus we get sidetracked into ethical issues & business practices, when after all's said and done, it's a game. I'm confident that W3 will be better in many ways than W2 which I really enjoyed playing, & that's all I expect. As to business ethics, CD PR are a company surviving in a fiercely competitive field & doing ok by me. There's loads worse business practice out there, Bhopal compensation betrayal, clothes industry exploitation (collapsing buildings) etc. to really get angry about.

No over expectation in this area, maybe in graphics but not KB&M, if they can make great controller scheme then they can certainly make great KB&M scheme. Also the fact that they have roots in PC development, KB&M shouldn't be too difficult for them. I can understand if From Software face difficulty making good controls for PC version of Dark Souls but not CDPR.

Damn, i liked being able to push Q for Quen, R for Aard, F for Igni, V for Yrden and B for Axii without having to also push another button afterwards.

My question is can we remap the two inputs for strong attack to one key? I'm guessing with the signs we can cast them from a single remapped key instead of selecting and then casting with another. TW2 is the same.

I'll probably remap dodge since I find Alt a bit awkward and I want to use dodge a lot more than roll - I always felt there was something a bit off about it.

With regards to signs, pressing a number to select sign and then press Q is so-so but I'll probably use the Tab key instead anyway.

EDIT: I may even give the controller a go though, seeing as they've put so much work into it. Don't hate me ;)

Last edited:
I'll probably remap dodge since I find Alt a bit awkward and I want to use dodge a lot more than roll - I always felt there was something a bit off about it.
I thought the same thing at first, but testing the mapping with my hand, it turns out that Alt actually fits very nicely under my thumb when my hand is in the WASD position. I'll have to try it out to be sure, ofcourse, but I can't immediately think of what button could be better, since spacebar is already reserved for jump, and I wouldn't want to change that.

I thought the same thing at first, but testing the mapping with my hand, it turns out that Alt actually fits very nicely under my thumb when my hand is in the WASD position. I'll have to try it out to be sure, ofcourse, but I can't immediately think of what button could be better, since spacebar is already reserved for jump, and I wouldn't want to change that.

Yes, I'd like it to be spacebar, but like you, I wouldn't want to change that.

I see what you're saying and Alt is almost ok for me, but I have to bend/curl my thumb all the way in, pretty much under my palm. Not a problem if I'm just toggling something occasionally but I really like the look of the dodge and am expecting to have to press if a lot since I want to avoid roll and also because I intend to play on Death March (hence more dodging presumably).

Hmm, I agree that I can't think of something better though. Maybe a thumb button on the mouse?

Possibly a WASD double tap thing would have worked but I doubt that can be done.

EDIT: On second thoughts, maybe I could swap out Spacebar for Alt after all. It depends on how often I'm gonna be jumping and I won't know that til I play the game. We'll see I guess.

Last edited:
Hmm, I agree that I can't think of something better though. Maybe a thumb button on the mouse?

That's not actually a bad idea. If Alt doesn't work out for me, I'm going to try that. I have the good fortune to have relatively small hands, so I don't have to twist my thumb too much, but if it's going to become a strain over time, it's nice to have options.

I have to say I'm disappointed by the pooling of a couple of actions/functions to one key/mouse button. While in some cases it seems to make sense (like 'Run/Sprint/Canter/Gallop;Swim Fast;Accelerate Boat' or 'Surface/Climb/Jump/[Hold] Roll') I can't help being left puzzled as to why 'Quick Access Item/Crossbow' and 'Witcher Senses;Parry/Counterattack' have been pooled together (default 'Middle Mouse' and 'Right Mouse' respectively).

One could argue that this also makes (some) sense, since there's apparently some sort of combat/non-combat state checking going on (meaning if in combat 'Right Mouse' would trigger 'Parry/Counterattack' while out of combat 'Right Mouse' would trigger 'Witcher Senses', I guess?) but it would have been real nice if you could alternatively bind some of those pooled actions/functions separately to individual keys (keyboards actually have quite a lot of these, you know) and not make it look like you're in for another one of those shoddy PC ports (control-wise, at least), where one button does everything.

Last edited:
I have to say I'm disappointed by the pooling of a couple of actions/functions to one key/mouse button. While in some cases it seems to make sense (like 'Run/Sprint/Canter/Gallop;Swim Fast;Accelerate Boat' or 'Surface/Climb/Jump/[Hold] Roll') I can't help being left puzzled as to why 'Quick Access Item/Crossbow' and 'Witcher Senses;Parry/Counterattack' have been pooled together (default 'Middle Mouse' and 'Right Mouse' respectively).

One could argue that this also makes (some) sense, since there's apparently some sort of combat/non-combat state checking going on (meaning if in combat 'Right Mouse' would trigger 'Parry/Counterattack' while out of combat 'Right Mouse' would trigger 'Witcher Senses', I guess?) but it would have been real nice if you could alternatively bind some of those pooled actions/functions separately to individual keys (keyboards actually have quite a lot of these, you know) and not make it look like you're in for another one of those shoddy PC ports (control-wise, at least), where one button does everything.
TotalBiscuit's gonna LOVE this.
Looking forward? to his port report, which I guess you can call the PC version now more than ever.

Because Consoles...

The .ini has a raft of key assignments, all broken out individually. Many are mapped to the same key, but it looks as if they could be set to individual keys/functions to suit.

E seems heavily used, but you could tweak some or all to use another key/combination for example.

We could be reading way to hard into this but why is this so difficult? I see you guys posting examples from DA:I but I never played it. I was under the impression you could map your keyboard and mouse keys to which ever setup you want. I've played both Witcher games and unless I'm wrong they were designed for PC's first. Why would CD Red alienate the player base who got them to where they are by optimizing W3 for console gamers only?

I have not seen the M+K controls yet, but if you can rebind them, then i see no problems.

One of the reasons i love PC gaming is the choice we have. From where we buy games to how we play games, and that includes which input devices you can play games with. Keyboard, Mouse, Joystick, Steering Wheel and Gamepad.

They are all valid for PC gamers, and some are better than others depending on the games. I personally used a gamepad for Witcher 2 as it "felt" better to me. But i also played through it with Mouse and Keyboard too.

Top Bottom