Reading the books before playing TW3

+
Unless you make a Let's Play or you did take vacation for the game I do not see the problem. Just read the book in peace and then start playing the game. Or hell, play the game but only do side missions until you have read the last book.

I still got half of the last book to read before playing and I do have daily work in form of studies, my Let's Play of TW1 and other things. But I think I'll manage. I'll get my copy of the CE on May 20th probably and I will start making TW3 LPs around that time. But I'll probably do a lot of side quest content first because I want to finish my LPs of TW1 and TW2 before going into the mist of the main story. And I also want to finish reading the books (should be done in a few hours).

PS: When I read the title I was like "Is this guy nuts !?!". But then I read the text and I was like "oh, okay, that makes sense". ;)

My wife couldn't wait and read the German versions and she says that they are excellent, but I'm a stickler for reading a series in the language I started it in throughout.
but I might have to relent if they don't hurry up translating the rest into English soon.

There are the missing ones in the fan translations thread in community hall...

You think you have it bad with only one book left? I just finished Baptism of Fire last night without it advancing the story nearly as far as I thought it would so I need to read the last two from the fan translations in the next 9 days...

I have just started reading the series today. The Sword of Destiny, Tower of the Swallow and Lady of the lake aren't published in english yet though I have the pdf files downloaded onto my kindle thanks to the awesome fan translation thread!

Last year I read through the first four books and I have been meaning to read them again and finally finish the last two and now I have only myself to blame for waiting too long. I might play the first two games as well but I dont know if I could delay playing the witcher 3 for that long haha.

Last edited:
I've played the first 2 games, just started reading the first book. Really, really, like it. I can already see how the games are so well received for dong justice to the books.

I'm currently halfway through Blood of Elves which I started on the other day. Already read it and The Last Wish many times before, but the next two in line are new to me. I plan to at least finish Time of Contempt(Disdain sounds so much better) and Baptism of Fire before May 19. After that I have no choice but to turn to fan translation.

I'm currently halfway through Blood of Elves which I started on the other day. Already read it and The Last Wish many times before, but the next two in line are new to me. I plan to at least finish Time of Contempt(Disdain sounds so much better) and Baptism of Fire before May 19. After that I have no choice but to turn to fan translation.

The fan translations are solid apart from quite a lot of typos, but that never bothered me.

Don't stress it out, different approaches work for the different people but the entire point in common is having a good experience, having fun.
I've read the four books in English so far, and patiently waiting for the rest to come out, I started reading the books after I had finished playing The Witcher EE and fell in love with it, and remember waiting for The Witcher 2 to release. This is like nostalgia with just an increased waiting time and much more hype.

Speaking of the books, Sword of Destiny (the english one) is also releasing around the game's.

Speaking of the books. I just read the 2 short story collections and 4 of the 5 books of the saga in the past two weeks and I'm starting the last one. But something puzzles me; books 2-4 in the saga seem to take place over a few months. But Ciri seems to age a few years during those events...

She is a child when Geralt and Ciri first meet. Some years pass before they meet again, both events happen within Sword of Destiny. She is just starting puberty when they are Kaer Morhen, and then spends some time there with Triss, and some at Ellander with Yennefer and Nenneke. After they leave for Aretuza things accelerate, and the remainder of the saga happens in around a year...

Could be out a little in my thoughts about specific ages, so I've gone more general... could probably stand to re-read the whole again though.

The story is somewhat interweaved with itself at times, and frequently told by scholars/witnesses after the events. (In fact the whole seems to be mix of seeing the events unfold and a 'retelling' of a myth cycle by unspecified authors, and has similarities to religious texts and their narrative quirks).

There is a similar duality in the Icelandic film "Beowulf and Grendel", with the "reality" being simultaneously romanticised in epic poem, to the occasional annoyance of Beowulf.

In the last books Ciri is around 16-17 years old? How old is she in the witcher 3? She looks a lot older to me.

In the last books Ciri is around 16-17 years old? How old is she in the witcher 3? She looks a lot older to me.

Fan calculations suggest she's about 22 when W3 happens. Of course it's hard to pinpoint her age due to her... unusual nature.

Top Bottom