Make snow more real

+
Make snow more real

I saw a lot of videos and a lot of builds (versions) of Witcher the wild hunt. It is a beautiful game but to me on all videos that have snow, snow seems a bit unrealistic, there is no foot prints, it looks like flat texture and while sliding down the mountain there is not a single effect. Is it because physx are off ?
I expected to see something on the level of Assassins creed 3, snow in that game looks beautiful, and not just that it have realistic impact on npc movement (speed and animation).AC 3 was released in 2012.

Thank you for good news Benzenzimmern :D Can you please tell us how are the textures, is snow somewhere on the map deeper (does it varies from location to location) ? Benzenzimmern you are doing fine work on this forum :)
I seem to recall they've said somewhere that no place has knee deep snow, so based on that no what you're hoping for is not happening.

Since we are talking about snow and such stuff...is it cold? Actually, I wanted to ask, if we can hear Geralt marching on snowy surface (if someone played Gothic 3 and remember Nordmar, he will understand).

I seem to recall they've said somewhere that no place has knee deep snow, so based on that no what you're hoping for is not happening.

But still it would be good to have some, not knee deep but mild variation will be nice :) It would be so much more natural.

But still it would be good to have some, not knee deep but mild variation will be nice :) It would be so much more natural.
Considering that the game apparently takes place during the summer months, it would make little sense to have that deep snow anywhere, even the colder regions. And the resources that such effect would be required are better off used elsewhere.

Considering that the game apparently takes place during the summer months, it would make little sense to have that deep snow anywhere, even the colder regions. And the resources that such effect would be required are better off used elsewhere.

If you watched the videos from youtubers than you should know that there is alot of snowy areas, and red engine is using umbra, every detail cost some of processing power but it is limited by the things we saw. I dont think it will be expensive future for colder regions ;)

If you watched the videos from youtubers than you should know that there is alot of snowy areas, and red engine is using umbra, every detail cost some of processing power but it is limited by the things we saw. I dont think it will be expensive future for colder regions ;)
I know that there are snowy areas in Skellige, but they are not deep, thick winter snows. As for the rest, I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Making knee deep snow which reacts to your movements realistically would be a major technical undertaking and would take a lot of time to program to look good, as well as a lot of processing power to work well. The devs have a balance out what more is important to the game at some point, extra physics effects or more actual content.

Top Bottom