TW3 PRELOAD - Availability

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
It may still unpack some content upon the release, or alternatively the 35GB is just what you need for the install to work. It certainly has nothing to do with the textures.

Also pre-load is as far as i know only containing 1 language pack. If you buy the retail version, i assume it will install all the language packs available in your country - and this would then lead to a much bigger file.

Steam says HDD requirement is 35 Gb. However, after downloading and installing, it takes up only 24.5 Gb. What might be the reason? Is there any info on downgrading texture quality?

Steam hasn't "installed" it, it's just downloaded the files. So please don't start inventing sinister reasons for it.

So please don't start inventing sinister reasons for it.

Lol, you made my day :D

Steam hasn't "installed" it, it's just downloaded the files. So please don't start inventing sinister reasons for it.

Gog did install it. It even took like 15 minutes to install.The size is only 24.5 gb. Texture downgrade could be the reason unfortunately.

Gog did install it. It even took like 15 minutes to install.The size is only 24.5 gb. Texture downgrade could be the reason unfortunately.

Actually, language packs are the reason for it, pre-loading only came with one as far as I know. I am actually happy about it because I hate when I am "forced" to install other language packs I won't ever use..for example, BioShock Infinite's 4GB Chinese pack...

GOG didn't installed anything, it just moved the files from download directory to install directory, that's the time when it says "Installing". More files might be uncompressed later on, this is what @GuyNwah also mentioned.

Slow download for W3

I'm currently downloading W3 via Galaxy, and it seems V slow to me (100-300Kb/s) I'm assuming that maybe it's due to high demand plus we can't do anything with it for a week yet, so no need to hurry. Is everyone else getting the same slow speed? I hope it's not indicative of general download speeds on Galaxy. :)

GOG didn't installed anything, it just moved the files from download directory to install directory, that's the time when it says "Installing". More files might be uncompressed later on, this is what @GuyNwah also mentioned.

More likely, textures are stored compressed. Uncompressing on the fly is easy.

I can confirm that an install actually happens. It doesn't just move the downloaded files around. It actually unpacks them, there are all the resources in place, the config files are readable, there's an uninstaller, and there's an executable that just puts up a "not yet" dialog.

At least some of the content is encrypted, and encrypted doesn't compress. This is an equally likely reason for the lack of expansion on install.

A bit more than that. It was unpacked compressed archives from a compressed set of archives, and moving the resulting files to their correct directories.

I downloaded 7 files, ended up with hundreds. Sounds like an install rather than a copying operation.

The missing HDD space could be partly language packs & patches and partly a temporary working space & space for a normal number of save games.

I seem to recall most of things things 'extracted' themselves as the download was still on-going, I remember the binaries(x64) folder was already there while I was still in the middle of downloading. It may also be a bit messy because I have both GOG Downloader and Galaxy set to the same folder and I had half started on Downloader which I left paused in case something happened to Galaxy :p

But fairly certain x64 was there while D/L was still on-going, maybe it starts extracting certain files as soon as they're done?

More likely, textures are stored compressed. Uncompressing on the fly is easy.

I can confirm that an install actually happens. It doesn't just move the downloaded files around. It actually unpacks them, there are all the resources in place, the config files are readable, there's an uninstaller, and there's an executable that just puts up a "not yet" dialog.

At least some of the content is encrypted, and encrypted doesn't compress. This is an equally likely reason for the lack of expansion on install.

Thank you for confirmation. So a huge game which takes up only 1/3 size of gta v. I expect seriously low textured areas in the game.

No thank you, I did not confirm anything you expressed, and I object to my words being characterized as "confirmation".

Compressed has nothing to do with downscaled. We already know the game has 2Kx2K textures and tons of them, far more detailed and numerous than in GTA V. Textures can be compressed without loss of detail by a factor of 35.

Developers who know what they are doing compress before encrypting, then deliver the encrypted resources in the installer. This results in the installer being relatively small, but not further compressed.

Last edited:
GTA V takes up so much space because it has lots of cutscenes and voiceovers. It also has many customization options for characters and cars which takes a good amount of space too.
But please do continue with your conspiracy theories. Its entertaining.

Thank you for confirmation. So a huge game which takes up only 1/3 size of gta v. I expect seriously low textured areas in the game.
That's not how it works, that's FUD. The preload is English only. Half the size in almost any game is taken up by Languages. If you're under the assumption that the 60GB in GTA V is because of textures then you'd be mistaken. Most of the time languages(text and audio) take up 30-50% or more(game dependant) of the size in games. So yeah that 60GB? most of that is Audio.

Also DXT5 compression is a thing.

No news for PS4?
https://twitter.com/witchergame/status/598068578735226882

"Soon on PS and Origin"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom