The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - PC System Requirements are here!

+
Witcher 3 on Surface Pro 3 ??

I'm about to embark on the long flight to ASIA from the USA, and I'm looking for something to pass the time. Ordinarily, I wouldn't try a game of this magnitude on a laptop\tablet, but curious if any testing from beta users has been done on the Surface Pro 3 (i7, 8gb RAM)?

If it's playable without lag, would connecting a xbox one controller work as well? Keyboarding it would suck on a plane. Also, assuming I could take saves from my Surface back to my PC?

Thanks for helping me pass the time ...
Rob

Can I be able to play it with core i3 4gb ram...

Can I be able to play it with core i3 4gb ram...i am playing GTAV, COD AW and played tons of games along with Witcher 2 with decent settings...pls reply....

Well I thought the word MINIMUM actually means what it is supposed to mean. If it's not the minimum then blame whoever released that information and calling it "minimum requirement", don't blame a guy who tried to help.

Last edited:
I'm running on an i7-3610QM, a GTX 660M and 8 gigabytes of RAM. While this laptop runs The Witcher 2 just fine, the minimum specifications of The Witcher 3 seem a bit extreme. Can I run it at all? I'll only be playing at 1680x1050, if that helps.

Minimum requirements

Question: I know that the minimum and recommended requirements have been listed, but I'm curious as to what settings those requirements are supposed to imply. is one for 1080/30 and the other for 1080/60? high/low? I'm wondering because if the minimum requirements are for 1080p/30fps on low then people with below minimum specs might be able to play at lower resolutions and be fine

That's guesswork. Also what if ultra requires more than 3GBs of VRAM.. ?
More then 3gb VRAM for 1080p - nonsense. I played GTA V at ultra settings without any problems (MSAA 4x, FXAA, TXAA off). And game required about 2.8 gb VRAM. GTA V has incredible detailed world. So i don't think that Witcher need more then 3 gb of VRAM for 1080p.

So i don't think that Witcher need more then 3 gb of VRAM for 1080p.
So you can't say for certain? :)

But frankly, I don't think it'll use more than 3GB vram either. Just saying that until we get the game in our hands, it's all guesswork.

More then 3gb VRAM for 1080p - nonsense. I played GTA V at ultra settings without any problems (MSAA 4x, FXAA, TXAA off). And game required about 2.8 gb VRAM. GTA V has incredible detailed world. So i don't think that Witcher need more then 3 gb of VRAM for 1080p.

Please do not bring comparisons to other games into this. They are not comparable: they are not the same engine, they do not have the same quantity of resources or the same way of handling them.

Being certain, or dismissing others' concerns as nonsense, is a short way to encourage others to make expensive mistakes. The purpose of technical threads on the Witcher games is to provide volunteer technical support, not to countenance speculation posing as certainty or the rude dismissal of others' opinions as nonsense.

Don't make me say that in my capacity as moderator. Your posts and the standing of your account may suffer if the moderators have to act officially.

---------- Updated at 11:42 AM ----------

Well I thought the word MINIMUM actually means what it is supposed to mean. If it's not the minimum then blame whoever released that information and calling it "minimum requirement", don't blame a guy who tried to help.

There are "hard minimums" and "soft minimums", and the distinction is well enough understood that it is often unnecessary to spell out which is which.

A "hard minimum" in this case is a requirement that, if not met, the game will not start or will perform so unsatisfactorily as to be unplayable. Known hard minimums are the requirement for 64-bit OS, DirectX 11, and Windows 7 and later.

A "soft minimum" is a requirement that, if not met, the game will not perform at some level that the developers decided was satisfactory, OR (and this is important) precludes professional tech support from providing assistance with your game.

What we don't know is what performance you can expect from the game on an installation that meets these "soft minimums". My expectation is that it will be comparable to the consoles. But I cannot back that up with fact until we have information (whether direct from developers, published reviews on suitable hardware, or hands-on experience of members here).

Is Win7 a *hard* min. I thought there was still some dispute as to whether Vista x64 would also work.

Nvm I see you failed to get it too install. (I still wonder whether it would work if copied from a Win7/8/10 machine and executed under Vista... but that isn't practical if you are still using Vista because it's what you have...)

Last edited:
Thinking I will have to settle for medium at 1440p with my 780 ti. Many months ago I was going to just bite the bullet and get a second one but then all the pascal/dx12 rumors surfaced and I never got around to it.

Anyway, I am curious what fps you guys think I might be getting at medium with my card and resolution.

Hi, I'm just wondering if I can run the game on my Pc. I'm expecting a direct answer. I played Witcher 1 and 2 on it, but today i fear that i can't play the third opus of the best video game saga on the best conditions. So my graphic card is an AMD Radeon R9 m265x. I use my PC for editing movies, and not for the games mostly, please don't judge me. But if i have to play on console i'm scared about my choices and how i'm going to put ALL of them on this new platform. So anyway : yes or no ?

I'm about to embark on the long flight to ASIA from the USA, and I'm looking for something to pass the time. Ordinarily, I wouldn't try a game of this magnitude on a laptop\tablet, but curious if any testing from beta users has been done on the Surface Pro 3 (i7, 8gb RAM)?

If it's playable without lag, would connecting a xbox one controller work as well? Keyboarding it would suck on a plane. Also, assuming I could take saves from my Surface back to my PC?

Thanks for helping me pass the time ...
Rob

Dear Moderator ... please don't move my post and bury it in a thread that is over 2300 posts long concerning minimum PC requirement questions. My question is not about minimum requirements, for that would assume I have an option to raise them in the device I inquired about. .. which I cannot .. it's a tablet. I am specifically asking if anyone has tested W3 on a Surface Pro 3 and if so what was the experience. If the answer is no, then I will get no responses, but burying it is likely to get no responses due to being lost in the volume of this thread.

Thank you.

Nobody here could answer that question for you. I would consider it a certainty that they have not attempted it, and also a certainty that it would fail if attempted.

Surface Pro 3 Core i7 has a 4650U CPU with HD 5000 graphics. It isn't even a fraction of the GPU capacity of the consoles, or the capacity needed for any other demanding game, and this is one of the most hardcore big iron games to hit the market this year.

So the answer is ( 1 ) No, and ( 2 ) If you have a dispute with a moderator, the only channel for resolving that dispute is private message (PM).

Darn you guys are touchy. No dispute .. just asked my thread not to be moved .. I even said please. Chill. I'm glad you KNOW no one could answer the question .. I feel informed.. I'll try not to offend your sensitive egos any longer. Sorry for asking.

Moving new threads to an existing thread where they are on topic is standard practice here. But telling off the mods for doing their job is not.

"( 2 ) If you have a dispute with a moderator, the only channel for resolving that dispute is private message (PM)."

Depends how well it plays with dual core vs quad. CPU is ok in single threading, but weak in multi-threaded applications, and has slower memory handling than the minimum i5... On the other hand it is significantly faster in single threading than the X4 940... and equal or slightly better in memory and multi-threading speed...

Probably a weak minimum, rather than genuinely sub minimum... but details matter.

Top Bottom