Why the lack of interest in alchemy?

+
Why the lack of interest in alchemy?

Seen various polls and threads on signs vs sword vs alchemy and surprisingly alchemy seem to be the least popular in general.

This surprised me because I found alchemy the most fun, strong, interesting and unique part of W2 combat. Of all the combat trees alchemy skills is definitely my biggest "can't wait to see" factor of W3. My first goal in W3 is accessing the skill tree in anticipation for what alchemy offers.

So, I'm curious:

1) What makes alchemy less or more appealing to you in general?
(Feel / Theme / RP / Lore / Any non-combat feelings towards alchemy )

2) What makes alchemy less or more appealing to you compared to the other skill trees?
(Practical application / Opportunity cost / Combat strength)

To be honest, it was my tendency to hoard everything I have collected without wanting to spend it and the prospect of having to farm ingredients that kept me away from that tree in the previous game. Will give the build a go this time around for sure since that's no longer a problem.

Honestly I was going to completely ignore the alchemy tree and go with signs as primary with swords secondary. However, after seeing the live twitch feed of CDPR's combat builds, and seeing all that alchemy can do in this installment of the game... I am seriously reconsidering my build choices now.

They have added so much synergy and power to this tree, it's really hard to ignore the possibilities!

I love alchemy in the witcher series. It adds a completely different aspect the the game and change a battle in a heartbeat.

2) What makes alchemy less or more appealing to you compared to the other skill trees?

My first default in these games is to roll play Geralt of Rivia
, and then if I'm not sure what he would do, do what I would do. That's how I've played it so far in Witcher 1 and Witcher 2. I normally level swordplay the most (though not exclusively) because it makes me feel more like Geralt of Rivia.

Just a guess but the general lack of interest for alchemy (for some people) may stem from how CDPR implemented the system in the first place. By stripping and doing away with aspects of the system which arguably made alchemy unique in The Witcher 1 & 2 and stand out from similar potion crafting in other games.

Last edited:
Seen various polls and threads on signs vs sword vs alchemy and surprisingly alchemy seem to be the least popular in general.

I think most of those discussions refer to "first playthrough". I think a lot of people are interested in alchemy, but prefer to go for something else the first time, for various reasons (especially the need to get an understanding of how alchemy really works before committing to it)

I think most of those discussions refer to "first playthrough". I think a lot of people are interested in alchemy, but prefer to go for something else the first time, for various reasons (especially the need to get an understanding of how alchemy really works before committing to it)

Hmm thats actually the best reasoning I've seen so far. Swords and signs being safe and known while alchemy is more of a "Not sure how it works so reserving my opinion until tested" kinda way.

Honestly I was going to completely ignore the alchemy tree and go with signs as primary with swords secondary. However, after seeing the live twitch feed of CDPR's combat builds, and seeing all that alchemy can do in this installment of the game... I am seriously reconsidering my build choices now.

They have added so much synergy and power to this tree, it's really hard to ignore the possibilities!

Agreed. After seeing that Twitch stream Im totally torn between Swordsmanship and Alchemy for my first playthrough.

basically alchemy was the one skill set that had a finite resource while sword and sign skills had infinite usage. For people starting for the first time, they didn't know what to expect on how recurrent you get to acquire the supplies to just use a skill. It also made the player feel they had to work more than the other person going for the other builds.

I'm personally debating myself how I'm going to do my first playthrough with Witcher 3. I really think they have it right with just a simple refill using alcohol after a single potion was brewed. Now the question is how accessible alcohol is going to be and how expensive are they? If it's just a simple tour to the pub and buy like 20 alcohol pints for something cheap like 20 orens, I would be sold to the alchemy set. Oh and the bombs need to be easy to refill as well, or else what's the point? heh

basically alchemy was the one skill set that had a finite resource while sword and sign skills had infinite usage. For people starting for the first time, they didn't know what to expect on how recurrent you get to acquire the supplies to just use a skill. It also made the player feel they had to work more than the other person going for the other builds.

I'm personally debating myself how I'm going to do my first playthrough with Witcher 3. I really think they have it right with just a simple refill using alcohol after a single potion was brewed. Now the question is how accessible alcohol is going to be and how expensive are they? If it's just a simple tour to the pub and buy like 20 alcohol pints for something cheap like 20 orens, I would be sold to the alchemy set. Oh and the bombs need to be easy to refill as well, or else what's the point? heh

The finite resource stuff is definitely an issue for many people. But I hope it won't be too easy to craft stuff. If its too easy to amass vast amounts of crafting mats, alchemy will lose some of its fun factor imo.

I'm hoping for an achievement for completing the game using signs and alchemy only and never killing anyone with your sword :p

This surprised me because I found alchemy the most fun, strong, interesting and unique part of W2 combat. Of all the combat trees alchemy skills is definitely my biggest "can't wait to see" factor of W3. My first goal in W3 is accessing the skill tree in anticipation for what alchemy offers.

So, I'm curious:

I never liked the fact that the effects were so short term and in W2 you had to drink them just before a fight and so many times by the time I wanted the effects it was too late because I was in combat.

I found that I was better off getting an ability I could call upon at will so my builds reflected that, with W3 I am taking a wait and see position. Will the drink and release system work? I don't know I wont prejudge the the system for or against until I play for myself.

Inventory management is definitely a significant reason why I'd go for swords the first time. (Also, I like swords :) ). I like to get some knowledge on what's worth hoarding and what isn't.

1. When I am thinking about gameplay efficiency, I am not thinking about how it works with the lore etc. So, this reason is non-existent in my decision making of whether to use alchemy or not.

2. Alchemy is less appealing because of the cost of items. You have to go looking for herbs and items to make potions and bombs, and these deplete on use. Magic and Sword skills don't have that problem.

Also, you can't learn all the skills in one playthrough. If you could, I'd be more open to trying out Alchemy and seeing if there are any positives. I honestly don't understand why you cannot learn all skills in a single playthrough, and why they feel locking skills behind 2nd playthrough is a good idea, esp if you can only equip 12 skills.

Because it can be boring as bats**t with little return.

That being said, if it's implemented properly & the effects are worth it then it can be heck fun!

I mean, alchemy is essentialy free with erbs lyin around.
For me I love it, it's an underappreciated trait, like effort is worth the pay off if the alchemy system is good, such as are the potions worth the time.

Alchemy gives you that little extra edge & also the variety of concoctions is what can be enjoyable about it.

Most of all the process in making it is fun. It's the skill that gets you running around the country side taking scenic routes.

Last edited:
well if its anything like it was in the witcher 2 I will be focusing heavy on alchemy my slef it was the strongest tree in TW2 and the only real way to play on max difficulty

You can buy alcohol ~ no idea how expensive it will be ~ I found it pricey enough to be offputting in W1 - but it was available as loot often enough to not be an issue....

However, now you brew your own alcohol from your ingredients as a recipe... so if you are happy gathering common ingredients and brewing often-ish, you need never buy or loot any strong alcohol once you have that schema.

I just find alchemy boring. The whole concept of alchemy and its implementation. I don't see the fun in that.

Top Bottom