[DISCUSSION] Witcher 3 - Reviews

+
I wouldn't trust anyone on doing a proper Witcher 3 review (and understanding the context) who hasn't at least one European game/RPG among their favorites. People who only like American games are suspicious to me...
well he did like some western RPGs but i forgot which ones they were (i think kotor was one of them). and he's british living in australia XD
i wonder if he'll manage to get the uncensored version of the game ?
trust me, he's a good critic, just not super serious all the time and likes to make fun of almost anything XD

Does anybody else feel sorry for all the 0/10 user scores the game will get on metacritic and probably other sites because the graphics may look a bit worse than in 2013?

No. I have no interest in metacritic scores at all. Why should I?

I don't need others to bolster my own opinion. ;)

---------- Updated at 11:23 AM ----------

well he did like some western RPGs but i forgot which ones they were (i think kotor was one of them). and he's british living in australia XD
I said EUROPEAN, not western. There is quite a different in European and American RPG (and other games). Kotor is a 100% American game.

I meant feel sorry for CDP. I expect the game to get a rather mediocre userscores on metacritic, just because of the whole graphics discussion. (at least on pc)
But well that's the problem with the userscore. If the graphics are worse unfortunately most people won't give the game a let's say 8/10 instead of a 9/10 they would have usually given, but directly a 0/10.

I meant feel sorry for CDP. I expect the game to get a rather mediocre userscores on metacritic, just because of the whole graphics discussion. (at least on pc)
But well that's the problem with the userscore. If the graphics are worse unfortunately most people won't give the game a let's say 8/10 instead of a 9/10 they would have usually given, but directly a 0/10.
Why should CDPR be interested in the metacritic average user score?

Pretty much everybody knows nowadays that many of the scores there are troll scores.

---------- Updated at 11:23 AM ----------

I said EUROPEAN, not western. There is quite a different in European and American RPG (and other games). Kotor is a 100% American game.

i am fully aware of that kotor is a 100 American but it's the only RPG i managed to remember saying that he liked it.

Why should CDPR be interested in the metacritic average user score?

Pretty much everybody knows nowadays that many of the scores there are troll scores.

Well, not only metacritic. But also gaming sites, steam, amazon etc. It could hurt the sales, but maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

i am fully aware of that kotor is a 100 American but it's the only RPG i managed to remember saying that he liked it.

Well, the thing is that European games rarely get really big in the US, especially RPGs. I don't know the exact reason but there seems to be some "incompatibility" between European and American taste, expectations, preferences or priorities.

Think the Gothic games. They were extremely popular in Europe. RPG fans in Europe think that Gothic 1 and 2 are among the best RPGs ever made. But the games are only known to some experts abroad. with usually much lower perception and scores.

So I (as a German guy) almost exclusively trust European reviewers on Witcher 3, or at least reviewers who have proven in the past that they value European games and RPGs and their "special tone". While Witcher 3 is a much more streamined and "internationalized" game than others coming from the old continent, it still has that distinctive European (and Slavic) core.

---------- Updated at 11:43 AM ----------

Well, not only metacritic. But also gaming sites, steam, amazon etc. It could hurt the sales, but maybe I'm just reading too much into it.
Customers are usually smarter than we tend to think. They are in most cases able to read and put things into context. I don't think simple scores are not enough to let most people exclusively decide on a 50 dollars and a serious time investment.

Why should we care about scores and sales.
First of all because more sales means more money for future games. Especially Cyberpunk and the Witcher 3 expansions.
Secondly, because if a game is successfull other companies/games take inspiration from it. Look what happended after Skyrim. Every game goes open world.
I wouldn't mind if other games try to include some of the Witcher strenghts like the grey choices. (barely any other game does this)

as weird as it may sound, he's got a very old school mentality, and he's quite the critic. even when he seem to be bashing games sometimes XD
he hates casualization of games, DLCs, cheap cash grabs...etc and like games that blend gameplay and story perfectly (weird considering he got bored of TW1 and TW2) with an identity, atmosphere and challenge.
his all time favorite games are:portal 2, the prince of persia trilogy, silent hill 2, system shock 2, theif II.
and that says a lot about him, and what he might think of TW3.
he'll probably praise the well done atmosphere, that it's a game that actually lives to the hype unlike "some turds like AC:U and destiny made by a bunch of twats", like the combat system (since it'll remind him of dark souls), and most importantly the exploration, and maybe the writing. and finish the review by calling it "every RPG nerd wet dream" or something XD.

(P.S, the stuff i wrote between quotation is of my imagination based on his style and way of thinking)

Yahtzee always striked me as someone who prefers his games to have fast-paced gameplay and be entertaining all the time, with immediate sense of fullfilment, and usually isn't as excited about RPGs because of their slower pace. The game I remember being praised by him most often is Painkiller, a shooter with heavy focus on its extremely fun gameplay and story that is there mostly as an excuse to show more gameplay, he seems to not like it when it's the other way around.

Still will be fun to hear his opinion about the game, but It just doesn't seem to me that such long, dialogue-heavy RPGs are necessarily his cup of tea ;)

First of all because more sales means more money for future games. Especially Cyberpunk and the Witcher 3 expansions.
I honestly wouldn't be too concerned. Grand majority of the reviews are glowing, and word to mouth has always been a greater element in a game's success than review sites, in any case. Now, you shouldn't expect TW3 to sell like Skyrim, heavily story-driven games never sell as much as sandboxes, but I doubt that you'll have to be disappointed in the final numbers, just the same.

Well, the thing is that European games rarely get really big in the US, especially RPGs. I don't know the exact reason but there seems to be some "incompatibility" between European and American taste, expectations, preferences or priorities.

Think the Gothic games. They were extremely popular in Europe. RPG fans in Europe think that Gothic 1 and 2 are among the best RPGs ever made. But the games are only known to some experts abroad. with usually much lower perception and scores.

So I (as a German guy) almost exclusively trust European reviewers on Witcher 3, or at least reviewers who have proven in the past that they value European games and RPGs and their "special tone". While Witcher 3 is a much more streamined and "internationalized" game than others coming from the old continent, it still has that distinctive European (and Slavic) core.

---------- Updated at 11:43 AM ----------

Customers are usually smarter than we tend to think. They are in most cases able to read and put things into context. I don't think simple scores are not enough to let most people exclusively decide on a 50 dollars and a serious time investment.
agreed. to be honest, the only european RPGs i know are the gothic trilogy (i LOVED all of them, yes even gothic 3 XD.)and the risen trilogy (Risen 1 was excellent, but the second was kinda meh. i still haven't played the third). god bless german RPGs !

Does anybody else feel sorry for all the 0/10 user scores the game will get on metacritic and probably other sites because the graphics may look a bit worse than in 2013?

I can see Skyrim extremeists trying to damage it too :( Hope I'm wrong.

agreed. to be honest, the only european RPGs i know are the gothic trilogy (i LOVED all of them, yes even gothic 3 XD.)and the risen trilogy (Risen 1 was excellent, but the second was kinda meh. i still haven't played the third). god bless german RPGs !

- Gothic
- Risen
- Witcher
- Divinity
- Two Worlds
- Dark Eye

No direct RPGs but (Eastern) European:
- Metro
- STALKER
- Crusader Kings
- Mafia
- This War of Mine

And maybe a lot more I've forgotten. ;)

I honestly wouldn't be too concerned. Grand majority of the reviews are glowing, and word to mouth has always been a greater element in a game's success than review sites, in any case. Now, you shouldn't expect TW3 to sell like Skyrim, heavily story-driven games never sell as much as sandboxes, but I doubt that you'll have to be disappointed in the final numbers, just the same.

Skyrim sold so much not because it's sandbox but because it is a much bigger brand the Witcher series. Skyrim had also top marketing. Story driven games sell as much and sometimes more. A look at the sales of Final Fantasy will convince you. W3 doesn't need to sell as much as Skyrim to be a success, as it only began making a splash in the big scene with W2.

That Polygon review pretty much went FullMcintosh at the end. But if even with all the "triggering content" the game scored an 8/10 from Polygon I'd say that's a good sign. I'm looking forward to TBs critique of the game, less BS, more objectivity.

Yahtzee always striked me as someone who prefers his games to have fast-paced gameplay and be entertaining all the time, with immediate sense of fullfilment, and usually isn't as excited about RPGs because of their slower pace. The game I remember being praised by him most often is Painkiller, a shooter with heavy focus on its extremely fun gameplay and story that is there mostly as an excuse to show more gameplay, he seems to not like it when it's the other way around.

Still will be fun to hear his opinion about the game, but It just doesn't seem to me that such long, dialogue-heavy RPGs are necessarily his cup of tea ;)
He also liked Spec Ops:The Line a lot which is pretty much a chest high wall third person shooter clone as far as mechanics go. He liked it for its story and you have to play through the entire thing to appreciate it. It's a good game IMO and it isn't instant gratification like Painkiller (another game a liked a lot). People's tastes are more complex than that. Like his previous "reviews" of the franchise I expect a lot of sex jokes... which is perfectly fine IMO, I like his videos.

Top Bottom