The Witcher 3 in Italy broken Day1 too

+
This seems unfair. I have my hard copy of the PC version, byt can't do a thing without the day 1 patch. PS4 owners with hard copy are already playing. I know its only 4 days, but why release in the middle of the week while its clear it can be done this weekend. We already had to bear 2 delays, compensate with 2 days early patch release!

It has a simple solution really. Release patch on consoles too next time for sure. This is why we can't have good things.

The problem with this situation is that the more stores/countries that break the release date, the more incentive there is for other stores to do the same. The reason? They are potentially losing out to their competitors if the competitor is breaking the release date but they do not - customers who did not pre-order, or who simply can't wait for the game, are going to go and purchase it at vendors who are currently releasing. If you don't do the same, you'll miss out on all these potential customers. Unfortunately, now that the release date has been broken, there is basically zero incentive for any other retailer to adhere to it. This will continue, and probably get worse over the weekend.

How does the developer deal with this in future? Hard to say. There is a 'hard line' stance of not giving copies to retailers that broke the release date in future, but that also hurts the developer because it reduces circulation and potential contact points with customers in future (probably one of the reasons why retailers feel that they have more to gain by breaking the release date then by adhering strictly to it). A possible alternative would be for future games to be targeted that pre-orders (i.e. digital versions) of the game are unlocked prior to retail release. So, for example with Witcher 3, the digital copies could have unlocked when retail copies were shipped. This has a couple of benefits: firstly, it avoids retailers being able to jump the gun, because the benefit will be less when most of the 'super keen' people have already received their copies. Secondly, pre-orders means more money in the door prior to release, which is good for cash-flow (particularly in the case where they have their own digital distributor and have more control). The main down-side is that it's obviously a major kick in the teeth to retailers, who might kick up a huge fuss, but then that's the consequence they face for their behaviour. The other down-side is that it likely means that the game might become available in a less 'refined' form, as it will be harder potentially to make day-one patches arrive on time - but the console versions that are playing currently also lack this 'refinement' so arguably it is not a huge hurdle to overcome, particularly if the refinement needed is relatively minor.

Still, it's an unfortunate situation for the developer, and there are no obvious or easy solutions. Sure, I would love the game to be unlocked early for all customers, but I'm patient enough to wait as well.

The problem with this situation is that the more stores/countries that break the release date, the more incentive there is for other stores to do the same. The reason? They are potentially losing out to their competitors if the competitor is breaking the release date but they do not - customers who did not pre-order, or who simply can't wait for the game, are going to go and purchase it at vendors who are currently releasing. If you don't do the same, you'll miss out on all these potential customers. Unfortunately, now that the release date has been broken, there is basically zero incentive for any other retailer to adhere to it. This will continue, and probably get worse over the weekend.
The irony here being the only reason digital versions aren't release earlier is not to piss off retailers since they might loose sales.

The irony here being the only reason digital versions aren't release earlier is not to piss off retailers since they might loose sales.

But on the other hand physical copies are released early to be more attractive than digital copies. The positive side of digital copies is saying time and space, so it is normal that stores do this. Personally having same release dates for both forms is ridiculous but from a traditional economic view I see why this is still a thing.

But on the other hand physical copies are released early to be more attractive than digital copies. The positive side of digital copies is saying time and space, so it is normal that stores do this. Personally having same release dates for both forms is ridiculous but from a traditional economic view I see why this is still a thing.
They aren't released early. They are leaked early. The same release date is done solely to ensure retailers aren't left behind and what does the retailers do? break release date and screw over the digital sales.

Fuggin Europeans! This would never happen in 'MURICA --land of the Red, White, & Blue!! Okay... yes it could.

They aren't released early. They are leaked early. The same release date is done solely to ensure retailers aren't left behind and what does the retailers do? break release date and screw over the digital sales.

That was the point of my post, they should not release early but they do it, to be competitive. This is not new.

That was the point of my post, they should not release early but they do it, to be competitive. This is not new.
That was my original post too. That it's ironic that they are misusing the very concept that is in place solely to ensure they are not screwed over.

Last edited:
Top Bottom