The Witcher Online

+
Please God NO!

Eventhough i'm tempted by anything that promises to bring more Witcher games, history shows that if you add "MMO" to ANY franchise it takes a complete nosedive towards utter poopness.

Look at Knights of the Old Republic. How can you go wrong right? Awesome lore, 2 awesome games to build on, a developer world renowned for making truly great RPG's, Giant budget etc.

The game is crap!

Elder scrolls online? Awesome games, great studio, but the MMO is simply NOT fun and nothing like the elder scrolls games.

The MMO platform simply is not capable of delivering good storytelling, and there's a very simple reason for this. In most RPG's you follow "the main protagonist", right? Ie YOU are the big hero (or villain) of the story. Take that away and replace it with hundreds of heros all stumbling over each others feet and queuing up to slay the quest monsters... well you get the idea!

They always try to compensate by giving you a huge world to play in, but they always fail to stock it with content.

And the inevitable grind based progression systems... and the endlessly grindy crafting systems. The randomly respawning monsters popping in right behind you. The "gold" based trading system (which will require you to grind or buy gold ofc). The shotty attempts at role-playing from random people which completely destroys your immersion.

No... just... No.

@TK422: All of your examples are bad in comparison with their single player origins because they are MMOs, and not MMORPGs. Think about it for a while.

The MMO platform simply is not capable of delivering good storytelling

That's not true. What's not capable of good storytelling is a server which has no roleplaying environment. No doubt about it.

MMO can not deliver the experience that makes each choice you make a different lasting consequence for the people in this world, plus the many alternative changes here and there in this world.

When you start making a game for EVERYONE.
It will come at the expense of so many things we love about The Witcher 1, 2 and 3.

Last edited:
If they did it, it would only be acceptable if they threw out the standard model of today's MMOs and made something unique.

Otherwise, just forget it.

If they did it, it would only be acceptable if they threw out the standard model of today's MMOs and made something unique.

Otherwise, just forget it.

No need to use MMO model at all. MMO are not created for roleplaying as was discussed above. They should follow approach of classic MUDs and MMORPGs which value storytelling. The main problem for it is scaling, since in order to preserve roleplaying environment you need people's involvement, i.e. GMs. Without it it's not going to work.

Developers time spent on creating a tailored 2 person experience, male and female character in The Witcher universe, co-op RPG would had been so much better an a MMO.

No one have created a AAA quality RPG with full story & open world co-op.

Playing with one other person is online enough for me.

Last edited:
CD Project Red, only you can save MMORPG genre from stagnation

40 hours in playing Witcher 3 and this is probably the best RPG Ive ever played. And I played them all since early 90s. Consistancy and quality of storytelling is just amazing. But playing the game I also couldnt help but imagine how you could revolutionize MMO genre if decided to step into it. MMOs are currently in stagnation and there isnt much to look after. Every other game is in "been there, done that" category, developers are afraid or dont have big enough budget to experiment and bring fresh ideas. It was you first open world project and you nailed it through talent and dedication. I think you might be able to nail virtual world too if put even more resources and effort there.I dont want to see Witcher Online. It doesnt suit the genre since we cant have millions of witchers running around. But there are other settings that have enormous potential: Game of Thrones, Legend of Five Rings, Warhammer. What I see in MMORPG from CDPR:-Amazing graphics on par or better then Witcher 3. After W3 people expect nothing less from CDPR.-Fully made with virtual reality in mind. VR boom is coming very soon, it is the future of gaming and there will be huge demand for AAA games in VR. MMOs are particularly great for it.-It should offer completely fresh experience for MMO gamers. The reason why they grow bored so fast with new MMOs because there are many things that are considered to be a norm for MMO and copypasted every time. Leveling, battlegrounds, raids, pets, crafting, housing and so on. Like there is template how to do an MMO which every company uses. After getting through many MMOs you start feeling that you play the same game over and over just with different decorations. This template should be broken. VR would be a huge part of fresh experience but from gameplay perspective I think making sandbox openworld game based on wars, politics and social interaction will be a huge success. Where players can choose rulers, offer jobs to other players, conquer lands, build villages, tax them, trade with each others by caravans or by sail, serve their House/Great House and climb the power. It should be not just a game, but virtual world similar to real life as possible, but in dark fantasy setting.-You CAN bring excellent storytelling into MMORPG. But it shouldnt be a main focus of the game. Dont follow the path of SWToR - it is decent RPG but horrible MMO. Storytelling should be done completely different with no long storylines but instead spectacular events that change places or even the world, introduce places and NPCs, give you tasks that feel like great accomplishment when finished.I will wait for any new project from CDPR, for me they are the current kings of RPG. But with all the greatness of W3, its storyline based game that you finish and pretty much done with. After first walkthrough, or second. In MMO space you can develop and expand game for decades and see it being populated with real people, not just NPCs.

Witcher MMO

Would anyone be interested in a Witcher MMO? Personally, I think it has a rich setting and great creature design. Perhaps situated in the time period soon after the creation of the Witchers when the number of Witchers were plentiful as well as creatures like dragons and giants. Elements of gameplay could be inspired by games like Monster Hunter and Dragon's Dogma. Starting races would include humans, dwarves, gnomes, halflings, elves, half-elves, quadroons, and witchers. Additional races like bobolaks, vraks, dryads, trolls, ogres, etc. could be added in time with expansions.

I'll just say this... We don't need another failed RPG to MMO like StarWars: The old Republic and The Elder Scrolls Online.
And plus, MMO's are a dying genre, the majority don't care about them anymore.

My inner desire says no. I think it will steer the series into a direction that dilutes its core values : great story, characters and actually affecting the fictional world you exist in.That's the stuff CDPR are masters at.

MMOs don't have these intimate elements.

If someone wants the rights to Witcher MMO they can do it ,but CDPR needs to CDPR.

I actually agree with you.

Hi, sorry I'm writing German, my English is not good.

Also ich würde mich über ein Witcher MMO freuen, natürlich sollten alle die an The Witcher 1, 2 und vorallem 3 gearbeitet haben, mitwirken.
Ein Witcher MMO mit der kompletten Atmosphäre, Flora, Fauna, lebendigkeit eines Witcher 3-Wild Hunt. Das Questsytem natürlich auch + das Eventsystem ala Guild Wars 2. Die Welt würde ich Sandbox, Openworld gestalten, ausser 4 Mann Instanzen und die Raids + Storybezogene Orte., die würde ich instanziert gestalten.
Rassen wären bei mir Elfen, Zwerge, Gnome, Menschen, Klassen: Zauberer, Hexer, Hexenjäger, Druiden, Priester, Krieger, Jäger, Assassine.
Das Berufssystem, so wie in Black Desert, Schiffsystem ala Archeage, Sammeln Entdecken, Schlösser knacken wie in Teso, GW2. Das Kampfsystem bleibt und das Skillsystem eine Mischung aus The Witcher 3 + Teso.
So würde mein The Witcher Online aussehen.

Last edited:
MMO and MMORPG is the same shit thing.
Does not matter how many RPG elements you have, you still can't have the choices and consequences as The Witcher series have which you have no way to go back and change as it actually have an real impact in the game and can change the world even.

---------- Updated at 02:36 AM ----------

Just no. There is enough MMOs.

MMO and MMORPG is the same shit thing.

No, the first stresses the lack of roleplaying in it (no RPG in the name). The later therefore stresses that environment requires roleplaying and there are measures to ensure it (including GMs in the game).

You can have any choices and consequences you want when you make the story.

No, the first stresses the lack of roleplaying in it (no RPG in the name). The later therefore stresses that environment requires roleplaying and there are measures to ensure it (including GMs in the game).

You can have any choices and consequences you want when you make the story.
No, it won't work as good as a single player as you need to cut down on things, graphics and everything to make it a MMO. I don't want The Witcher to turn into a MMO, ever.

No, it won't work as good as a single player as you need to cut down on things, graphics and everything to make it a MMO. I don't want The Witcher to turn into a MMO, ever.
It can work very differently from the single player, because you are not limited to predefined scripts and can create story at will. MMO doesn't care about story (I already said that above), that's why I'm not sure why you keep bringing it. We are obviously talking about different things. I'm discussing MMORPGs.

You are discussing The Witcher as a MMO.
And I'm saying, The Witcher as an MMO is just a MMO and no longer The Witcher.

Just as The Elder Scrolls Online is just a MMO, not The Elder Scrolls.

So in other words you only want a MMO that has The Witcher theme stamped on it.
Waste of time and waste of a good RPG.

Top Bottom